2018 Elantra SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gooday folks,

As some of you know, Im about to purchase a Hyundaic Elantra SE, auto, sunroof, 16 inch wheels, push start, ect.

I would like more opinions from you guys.

The total amount for the car is 26,000$, tax and transport included, with my trade in, which I owe a bit on.

Is this a good buy? Reliable for long term?

Any inputs or comments are more than welcome.

Here is a pic attached of the car.

Thanks!

20180913_235628.jpg

My sister has had 3 Elantras and she is anything but easy on her cars. All have been excellent to her putting up with her abuse. They are good solid models.

I can't comment on the price because I don't know the US pricing and I don't know what you owe that I assume it being rolled into this loan.

Congratulations in advance.

The car is a great car. Cannot comment on the $ portion because that's dependent on your financial situation, credit history etc., of which i'm not interested in (not meant as a slight, just don't want your business out there). But yes... the Elantra is a solid, reliable buy.

Just over 28k miles on my 2017 Elantra SE and I have zero complaints. Overall, it's been a great car and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again.

Originally Posted by StevieC
My sister has had 3 Elantras and she is anything but easy on her cars. All have been excellent to her putting up with her abuse. They are good solid models.

I can't comment on the price because I don't know the US pricing and I don't know what you owe that I assume it being rolled into this loan.

He's on the east coast of Canada, FWIW
wink.gif

Good to hear about the reliability though. I've been suggesting he pull the trigger, since his current car has been anything but reliable.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

He's on the east coast of Canada, FWIW
wink.gif

Good to hear about the reliability though. I've been suggesting he pull the trigger, since his current car has been anything but reliable.

I could have sworn I saw somewhere in the US. My bad.

Yeah my sister is brutal on her cars. She had her first 2000 Elantra here and beat the snot out of it and it lasted. She has had 2 in the time she has been in the Dubai and those see really high temperatures with her abuse and they still seem to last. Worst she has ever had to do is an engine mount on her current one but with 50c summers that's not unexpected there.

Last edited:
About a year and a half ago two of my former co-workers got ttwo Elantras SE for about $21k out the door each. They negotiated with the same dealer for these two cars and got a discount for that. If you deduct whatever you owe on your current ride and what's left is close to that figure, you did good.

Last edited:
Just go buy it! Hyundai makes good cars now. I wouldn't say that about the ones 20 years ago.

Almost 85k on my Sonata, I've replaced the original 3-1/2 year old battery (good life for Arizona) and 1 headlight bulb (30 miles home from work at night everyday).

My 2017 Elantra SE has been a great car for my needs here in the Midwest USA. Winter is not too bad and my heat was fine. Not so for some owner's up North. Details here:

EXTREMELY slow heater??

Other owner's complained about the seats:

Most uncomfortable seats of any car I ever have owned

Those are the two complaints that stuck out. My seats are OK.

Never hear of transmission issues with this model. If you want to modify the engine look elsewhere.

As far as price mine was $15k. They must add some gold plating to the ones sold in Canada.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
They must add some gold plating to the ones sold in Canada.
smile.gif

Keep in mind our dollar is worth ~ 30% less than the USD at the moment.
wink.gif

Last edited:
My wife and daughter both love their Elantras.

Caution, check ground clearance. My wife's 2015 Sport is a ground hugger.

smile.gif

wink.gif

Now it is making more sense. Thanks.

I bought my 2010 Elantra new for $14,000 out the door. Those are some price hikes in 8 years.

smile.gif

wink.gif

Now it is making more sense. Thanks.

Yeah it's pretty confusing that we both have a "Dollar" currency but they are worth different amounts.
grin2.gif

Wait, stop, consider a VW. That is, if Canada gets the same 6 year 72,000 mile warranty the U.S. gets.
Hyundai has a very good 5 years 60,000 mile warranty, which is pretty good though. Again, U.S. Hyundai warranty. Not sure what Canada gets.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Wait, stop, consider a VW. That is, if Canada gets the same 6 year 72,000 mile warranty the U.S. gets.
Hyundai has a very good 5 years 60,000 mile warranty, which is pretty good though. Again, U.S. Hyundai warranty. Not sure what Canada gets.

I think (don't know for sure) but the VW warranty isn't that long here. I was going to buy a Golf at one point. The Hyundai / Kia warranty is as you describe though.

My 13 Sonatas been fine, daughters 15 Elantra tossed its cookies at 46000 mi using all sunthetic oil and OEM filters. Hers is by far not the only one. The new engine sounded almost as loud as the dying one Take a look on the Hyundai forums and you'll see what I mean. There's a thread on there that's entirely about Canadians with dead Elantras. It's not so great for us in the US but it's a whole lot worse for Canadians due to your crap consumer protection laws. Hyundai seems to take full advantage of that. Consider also that many die at or around 90-120,000 which in most cases leaves you SOL. Just watching the posts go by it seems like those Elantras die at a very much higher rate . Why, who knows may be the colder climate.
When our adventure started out in 13 it was only Sonatas. They hid it then blamed it on new manufacturing process at the new Alabama plant. Fixed in April 2012. Then it kept happening and continued ever after.until today. Along the way Elantras with their smaller engine series started started knocking and dying . They fixed that 🤗with some new piston coating sometime in 2014. Guess what they continued dying and Hyundai is still shoving new engines in warranty cars as fast as they can get them now.
Here's the real rub with this Theta engine series issue. As far as anyone seems to be able to figure they never fixed the original problem and just keep pumping them out as before. Browse that forum and you'll see what I mean . I've been watching this mess unfold with no end in sight for 5 years so I'm telling you straight.
Oh consider also that in all likelihood you're gonna get a crap trade in when you sell eventually. . My daughter got offered the lofty sum of $5000 for a 3 year old car in April with a brand new engine towards an 18 Toyota RAV4. She lucked out and managed $7500 and was lucky to get that. I kept my time bomb because I'm good to 120,000 miles /10 years ( Sonata) due to a recall brought on by a fat class action law suit. No such luck for The Elantra AFAIK. If you do decide to go there be sure to save all your receipts and document your oil changes.............

They appear to be solid cars, plus I think they look good. I think you could get a better deal though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back