New “rules” changing your choice of car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I already feel like car prices are heavily overpriced as they are. I plan to stick with what I have until I get rid of all debts and will finance a new car likely at that point. Maybe used, who knows, but im in no rush.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
I already feel like car prices are heavily overpriced as they are. I plan to stick with what I have until I get rid of all debts and will finance a new car likely at that point. Maybe used, who knows, but im in no rush.

Does your province collect a one-time tax upon registration? In the US some states have moved to this type of tax structure rather than an annual tax.

Bought my corolla in 2010 with 50ish k miles for about 7500. Since then, very minimal repairs and im at 160k miles now. So i paid less than half the price of brand new... so who thinks buying used is still bad? No oil use, no issues. Not sure why everyone is so scared of buying used...As long as engine and trans are in good shape, most the rest is easily fixable. If I consider used I would consider new to used to see if the price differential is worthwhile. 50% less in cost? Id go used.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Does your province collect a one-time tax upon registration? In the US some states have moved to this type of tax structure rather than an annual tax.

Oh dont worry! Our government has their hands so deep down in my pocket that its uncomfortable!

Bought my corolla in 2010 with 50ish k miles for about 7500. Since then, very minimal repairs and im at 160k miles now. So i paid less than half the price of brand new... so who thinks buying used is still bad? No oil use, no issues. Not sure why everyone is so scared of buying used...As long as engine and trans are in good shape, most the rest is easily fixable. If I consider used I would consider new to used to see if the price differential is worthwhile. 50% less in cost? Id go used.

It depends on what, where, and why you drive. Sure, you can buy a basic appliance car that'll get you from A to B. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. However appliance cars are no fun in the mountains and surely don't want to be going triple digits in them.

It depends on what, where, and why you drive. Sure, you can buy a basic appliance car that'll get you from A to B. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. However appliance cars are no fun in the mountains and surely don't want to be going triple digits in them.

He's in Canada, he's probably always driving in triple digits.

It depends on what, where, and why you drive. Sure, you can buy a basic appliance car that'll get you from A to B. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. However appliance cars are no fun in the mountains and sure as #@!$ don't want to be going triple digits in them.

I'm not even sure what that means. I'm just buying used Mercedes from now on. The lease on a new one typically has a residual in the 58-62% range after 3 years so about 40% off MSRP after 3 years. More like 50-60% after 4-5 years. It's pretty fun to drive. I like to find them loaded, but it seems that most people don't like to pay top dollar for the options which can add 10k or more to the base price but don't really fetch much more when used.

Originally Posted by bradepb
Buying new cars is such a waste of money vs 2-3 year old lightly used. As well as leasing,really? rent a car for 2 or 3 years?

This is not true.

The typical 2-3 yr old used car is going to be off lease. Outside of cosmetics, people who lease generally abuse their cars. It's one reason why they lease.

Says you, citing you. Do you have any actual EVIDENCE of this?

People who lease don't want to have to worry about out of warranty repairs and they're not stuck with a bad car that they can't get out from underneath or will lose money on. If you want to buy a fun car to drive (ex BMW) then there's a risk associated with buying an off lease car because many enthusiasts will add tunes and other modifications only to revert the car back to stock come end of lease.

Again, do you have any actual EVIDENCE of this?

Buying new cars is such a waste of money vs 2-3 year old lightly used. As well as leasing,really? rent a car for 2 or 3 years?

This is not true.

The typical 2-3 yr old used car is going to be off lease. Outside of cosmetics, people who lease generally abuse their cars. It's one reason why they lease.

People who lease don't want to have to worry about out of warranty repairs and they're not stuck with a bad car that they can't get out from underneath or will lose money on. If you want to buy a fun car to drive (ex BMW) then there's a risk associated with buying an off lease car because many enthusiasts will add tunes and other modifications only to revert the car back to stock come end of lease.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
There is so much information on the internet (including here!) that shows how neglectful, and stupid people can be in regard to maintenance and care. Why would they go the extra mile maintaining a car, or treat it like they have any respect for it, they're going to be rid of in 36 months? Cheap, fast oil changes, and tires are all these cars typically get for the first three years of their lives. Even with an enticingly long powertrain warranty, why would I want to buy someone else's headache? Used cars are only a good deal if they aren't a neglected POS. My tastes may need modification in the future to stay within budget, but my plan to continue buying new hasn't changed.

Other than oil changes, what service is NEEDED in 36,000 miles?

New vehicles sell for what buyers are willing to pay.
The market sets the price for any good, new or used,

Originally Posted by Astro14
I think the key point in this is "could" and "might" change in price.

Gasoline "could" and "might" change in price, but people buy cars based on today's price, not what it might do in the future.

Let's wait and see...

I would agree with that...still up in the air about just how much.....

But I do think there will be some change, will just depend on how much....

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle

This is not true.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
There is so much information on the internet (including here!) that shows how neglectful, and stupid people can be in regard to maintenance and care. Why would they go the extra mile maintaining a car, or treat it like they have any respect for it, they're going to be rid of in 36 months? Cheap, fast oil changes, and tires are all these cars typically get for the first three years of their lives. Even with an enticingly long powertrain warranty, why would I want to buy someone else's headache? Used cars are only a good deal if they aren't a neglected POS. My tastes may need modification in the future to stay within budget, but my plan to continue buying new hasn't changed.

Other than oil changes, what service is NEEDED in 36,000 miles?

Lots of stuff, air filter, cabin air filter, brake flush, lubricate sunroof, wipers. Not high dollar amount items though.Some cars even call for transmission fluid flushes at 30k.

Originally Posted by fdcg27

The only downside is that we really don't. Or compact cars would not start in the mid 20s

Or trucks starting over 34k now...

And prices keep going up....

Originally Posted by csandste
We have a consumer driven economy, but tariffs will cause me to cut way back. I have more cash as an investor than I ever have as I expect a long, tough recession. My grandpa always told me the depression was coming back when I was a kid, so watch my money, so I've long been prepared for what goes around, comes around. It's Smoot-Hawley 2, kids. And.... I'll never buy another new car.

Yeah, this! The makers will still make their cars through the body style/ model run, just profit less on some units and give the investors less. What's the profit on a Eddie Vetter King Cowboy Dually Ranch Dressing F150, $15-20k?

If CAFE standards weaken, we could see less subsidy on little fuel sipping cars. Ergo Ford mostly abandoning the market.

If the economy tanks, makers can spontaneously make a "base" model not mentioned in the promotional literature with slightly fewer thrills for a few thousand less. They'll lose profit on each one as they're intended to keep the lines running and meet a price point while shaming the buyer.

I don't see prices going up drastically because of tariffs. Most foreign companies have their supply chains in the US along with their assembly plants. This would only affect certain cars and negotiations are underway to allow concessions.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by csandste
We have a consumer driven economy, but tariffs will cause me to cut way back. I have more cash as an investor than I ever have as I expect a long, tough recession. My grandpa always told me the depression was coming back when I was a kid, so watch my money, so I've long been prepared for what goes around, comes around. It's Smoot-Hawley 2, kids. And.... I'll never buy another new car.

Yeah, this! The makers will still make their cars through the body style/ model run, just profit less on some units and give the investors less. What's the profit on a Eddie Vetter King Cowboy Dually Ranch Dressing F150, $15-20k?

If CAFE standards weaken, we could see less subsidy on little fuel sipping cars. Ergo Ford mostly abandoning the market.

If the economy tanks, makers can spontaneously make a "base" model not mentioned in the promotional literature with slightly fewer thrills for a few thousand less. They'll lose profit on each one as they're intended to keep the lines running and meet a price point while shaming the buyer.

Most automakers have new unions contacts that allows them to stop/layoff workers now....Plants would go idle for months....

This is not true.

Yes. Do you think I just make stuff up?

Originally Posted by daves87rs

The only downside is that we really don't. Or compact cars would not start in the mid 20s

Well, we control the cash flow through our purchase decisions and we can always keep the old buggy rather than buying a new one.
If we are halfway savvy buyers, we also wouldn't pay anything like mid 20s for a compact nor 34K for a truck.
Nothing sells for sticker and only suckers negotiate from that number without having a firm price walking in the door.
New vehicle purchases to me are a rational process.
For the buyer driven by emotion, the process is entirely different in ways that dealers love.
Many buyers are motivated by the notion of keeping up with the neighbors or one-upping that guy at work and are easily seduced by sales people telling them that they deserve it, can afford it and should treat themselves.

This is not true.

Yes. Do you think I just make stuff up?

Absolutely yes, people do so all the time.

Originally Posted by daves87rs

Well, we control the cash flow through our purchase decisions and we can always keep the old buggy rather than buying a new one.
If we are halfway savvy buyers, we also wouldn't pay anything like mid 20s for a compact nor 34K for a truck.
Nothing sells for sticker and only suckers negotiate from that number without having a firm price walking in the door.
New vehicle purchases to me are a rational process.
For the buyer driven by emotion, the process is entirely different in ways that dealers love.
Many buyers are motivated by the notion of keeping up with the neighbors or one-upping that guy at work and are easily seduced by sales people telling them that they deserve it, can afford it and should treat themselves.

Hoping that folks start liking the base models again...one can hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back