Liqui Moly Oil Additive

What positives / negatives can you tell me about this engine oil additive? Liqui Moly MOS2 Anti-friction engine treatment.

have a 2012 Jeep Cherokee with the 5.7 hemi engine that has a light tick on startup. The can says it is 300 ml; how much would be needed on a 7 quart oil change?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC LM has a product for hydraulic valves. That being said it just might be your choice of oil that's causing the tick.

oh..and Go Dawgs! They have an early game tomorrow vs Mizzou.

I tried buying their Molygen Motor Protect but they don't sell it in the US. I would have had to pay inflated Ebay prices and on top of that I'd need 2 bottles for my application. You can buy their oil with the Molygen already in it though, and for a decent price, on Amazon.

Screenshot_20180909-093627.jpg

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
IIRC LM has a product for hydraulic valves. That being said it just might be your choice of oil that's causing the tick.

oh..and Go Dawgs! They have an early game tomorrow vs Mizzou.

Go Dawgs!

I am running the Penzoil Platinum synthetic 5w-20 and a Mopar 899 filter.

suggestions?

Get that water for oil out of that Hemi and put a good 5-10W30 in it and your tick will disappear... especially living in GA, cold starts aren't really a concern.

LM MoS2 will settle out of suspension as it's not in a true liquid soluble form. I looked into it but decided against it after hearing advice from people far smarter and more knowledgeable on the subject.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Get that water for oil out of that Hemi and put a good 5-10W30 in it and your tick will disappear... especially living in GA, cold starts aren't really a concern.

recommendations please?

Originally Posted by dawgn86
recommendations please?

Mobil 1 high mileage 10W-30. It is SN+ spec'd but without the GF-5 spec (meaning it's not subject to the "resource conserving" fuel economy requirements). Should also keep seals pliable and from leaking.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
recommendations please?

Mobil 1 high mileage 10W-30. It is SN+ spec'd but without the GF-5 spec (meaning it's not subject to the "resource conserving" fuel economy requirements). Should also keep seals pliable and from leaking.

...and an HT/HS of 3.5 with A3/B3 cert. If that's what your after.

recommendations please?

Amsoil Signature Series 5W-20 or 5W-30. But honestly, that's almost like asking "what's the best oil brand". Everyone has got their favorite. You didn't say how many miles you had on it. But IMHO and speaking from a mechanic's (OCD aviation) viewpoint, a lifter bleeding down just wouldn't cause me any concern. Since you said it goes away on start-up. Now if it didn't, yeah that would bother me greatly. I certainly wouldn't use any "additives". I've never seen any engine teardowns where they benefitted from additives.

It has 104k miles. Oil changed every 5k.

Owners manual says 5w-20 weight

Thanks
BITOG tradition is to use a different weight than what is specified in the owner's manual. Especially if you have a newer car that specs "water oil" lol.

Originally Posted by wemay
recommendations please?

...and an HT/HS of 3.5 with A3/B3 cert. If that's what your after.

Exactly. HTHS of 3.5 ("thick 30") is the sweet spot for most applications in my opinion. Plenty of room for shearing and dilution to stay in grade.

Don't worry, a certain member will be along shortly to tell you that the cure for all your ills for the Hemi is Redline oil, because of high moly.

Down in Georgia, you should have no issues running a 10W30 year round, so go with Mobil if that's what you prefer. I stocked up on the Delo XLE 10W30 when WM was clearancing it, so that's what I would use in your case.

If your engine has MDS (I don't know all the intricacies of what had it and what didn't), the problem is one of metallurgy and can only be truly fixed by changing the cam out for a billet core instead of the SADI that was used by the factory, and replacing any damaged lifters as well.

LM MoS2 will settle out of suspension as it's not in a true liquid soluble form. I looked into it but decided against it after hearing advice from people far smarter and more knowledgeable on the subject.

I have heard this as well.

Where does it go to?!?!?

Trapped in all the little pockets where sludge usually forms?

Or does it get stuck in the pleats of the oil filter and stay there?

Yes,
the little jars that I mixed for my freezer tests I left sit for a few months.

The oil drained out, and the molly stayed in the bottom, and couldn't be flushed out with detergent and hot water. Had to be scraped out, just like sludge

Originally Posted by Shannow
Yes,
the little jars that I mixed for my freezer tests I left sit for a few months.

The oil drained out, and the molly stayed in the bottom, and couldn't be flushed out with detergent and hot water. Had to be scraped out, just like sludge

Does this also happen with oils with high amount of moly? I mean much higher than normal normal like tgmo 0Wx20 and my new favorite redline?

I don't think so.

The MoS2 is a mineral form, like graphite, not oil soluble like MoDTC.

(e.g. Zinc oxide versus ZDDP when you get it on your fingers)

I can say that I have added LM 2009 it to oil (LM 4200) before. 200 ML of additive equaled ~ 230 ppm of MoS2 in my oil analysis. LM 4200 does not contain any MoS2 so it all came from the can of 2009.

It did not settle out and I collected the sample from an oil extractor about half-way through the suction time

Back