Last time you purchased new vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by SilverSnake

. I don't usually judge people on how they spend their money but since you might think my choices are stupid why don't you give us your lists? I am sure we can pick out many "stupid" expenditures.

Probably not. To be honest, I have afforded my self very few luxuries in my life. I had my first home paid off in full within 3 years of buying it. I put 3 kids through college, and now own 8 rental homes (4 of which were paid for in cash). I also have a pretty healthy 401K. I did all this on a single working mans income (year), as my wife stayed at home and raised the children. I don't hunt, fish, buy fancy clothes or Rolex watches, or take extravagant vacations. I live a simple but financially diciplined full life. Honestly I am just unremarkable "the guy next door" that just bought a used 2005 Chevy Silverado with 150K miles.

Nothing wrong with your approach to life. Sounds like you are a good solid responsible citizen to me. As long as you are happy with your choices, that is all that matters. My dad talked all his life about owning a Porsche. He could afford it but never pulled the trigger Always purchased practical vehicles without any frills. He died never fulfilling that dream. I don't live that way. I can afford to feed my car addiction so I do.

My dad talked all his life about owning a Porsche. He could afford it but never pulled the trigger Always purchased practical vehicles without any frills. He died never fulfilling that dream.

My father always wanted to tour Europe; like your father, he had the money but he was also a borderline workaholic. He died never visiting any other country aside from Canada.[/quote]

I don't live that way. I can afford to feed my car addiction so I do.

Same here; I don't buy anything too extravagant, but I buy what I like. They say that no one lies on their deathbed saying they wish they'd spent more time at the office. Likewise, I'm absolutely certain that I won't be saying, "I wish I had bought more anodyne appliances."

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by blupupher
I was kind of stupid in the early 2000's. I don't want to think of how much money I wasted. Not sure if I will ever buy new again.

Dont feel too bad, Silversnake (above) has you beat! [/i]

blupupher and gfh776665: People spend their money on many "unnecessary" things:

Maybe these are "stupid" ways to spend money, maybe not. I don't usually judge people on how they spend their money but since you might think my choices are stupid why don't you give us your lists? I am sure we can pick out many "stupid" expenditures.

I was stupid in the way I went through so many vehicles in such a short time. I don't hink I ever lost any money, but I know I did not gain any either.

Bought the 2000 Ram because I had had cheap, junky used vehicles since I before I got married. I figured I deserved it.
Bought my wife the Jeep in '02 (her Blazer was having major issues, and we did not think we were able to have kids).
1 month after buying the Jeep, found out we were having our first kid.
thankyou2.gif

Neither the truck or Jeep were good vehicles for car seats, so sold the truck (was paid off) and got the Trailblazer. Never really liked that vehicle.
Got a new job in '04 that was 300+ miles driving a week, Jeep got 13 mpg, and gas was starting to hit $3/gallon, so got rid of the Jeep and got the Elantra.
Traded the Trailblazer for the Tuscon (still not sure why we did that), just broke even on that one.

I would never tell somebody they were stupid just for buying a new car.
For some it may be, but it is not my place to judge them, plus somebody has to buy new cars so they can become use cars.
grin2.gif

Not sure if I will ever buy a new vehicle again, but with the way prices are going, I don't think I could afford to any more.

Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Thank goodness you'all are doing this. Need to keep that used vehicle pipeline full so I have a selection
laugh.gif

+1 on this ^

About a year ago, a Subaru.

My plan was to import an older Forester from the south with no rust. Pull the engine to do head gaskets / timing belt and clutch components. Unfortunately, I ended up in a situation where everything was broken and I couldn't find anything used I wanted that wasn't a rotbox already.

This really will be my last new car purchase. When this gets older I may end up getting the cheapest lease (those $100 Nissans are always appealing) penalty box I can find.

March 2018 (wife's Equinox). Before that the last time buying a new, off the dealer lot car was back in June 1990- Dodge Spirit ES. Every one in between was a year or 2 used.

Originally Posted by littleant
Originally Posted by BrocLuno
Thank goodness you'all are doing this. Need to keep that used vehicle pipeline full so I have a selection
laugh.gif

+1 on this ^

Not from me. Unless I have a drastic change in family needs, I keep the vehicle's I bought brand new for a long time. Doing so gives me the same per mile cost as buying used.

As long as you are happy with your choices, that is all that matters. My dad talked all his life about owning a Porsche. He could afford it but never pulled the trigger Always purchased practical vehicles without any frills. He died never fulfilling that dream. I don't live that way. I can afford to feed my car addiction so I do.

Incidentally I just reached the "empty nest" time in my life, at age 54. Now that the kids are gone, my wife and I will travel more and do some more things for ourselves. I did want to say I did not deprive my family along the way. We live in a quite nice brick home, and I have bought 4 new vehices through the years. An '89 Dodge Aries just after we married, a '95 Chevy Caprice when my children were born, a 2006 Honda Odyssey when they reached their teen years, and I recently bought the wife the 17 Fiesta (and my 2005 Silverado) to replace the two lost in the Harvey flood. I plan on buying myself a new truck when I retire in about 7 years.

Most recently my 2017 VW GTI sport. The deals VW was running after their scandal were pretty nice. As far as smaller cars go, they seem to hold their value decently, so that combined with the cheap price of entry was worth it. Normally I'm not one for fancy features, but the sport model had just the right amount of newer tech.

Before that I bought a new 08 Civic Si in early 09. This meant it was a "leftover" and saved me about $4k compared to the 09 chilli pepper red version I wanted right next to it (Mine was "galaxy grey"). I've had probably more vehicles than most people my age, and I think that 2008 Civic Si has been my favorite.

My only new vehicle purchase was in 1993, several years after I graduated from college. I never repeated the experience and never plan to repeat the experience.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Not from me. Unless I have a drastic change in family needs, I keep the vehicle's I bought brand new for a long time. Doing so gives me the same per mile cost as buying used.

I'm not sure how you're figuring out the math on that. I bought a 3 year old used car for 10k and drove it for 12 years and put on 200k. New it was about 25k. No way the cost per mile would have been anywhere close. Of course the 6 year old Mercedes E-350 I bought used about 4 years ago, that was 18.5k, but new it listed for 68k.

Originally Posted by Wolf359

I'm not sure how you're figuring out the math on that. I bought a 3 year old used car for 10k and drove it for 12 years and put on 200k. New it was about 25k. No way the cost per mile would have been anywhere close. Of course the 6 year old Mercedes E-350 I bought used about 4 years ago, that was 18.5k, but new it listed for 68k.

There are exceptions of course. But generally speaking buying brand new is not as expensive as a lot of people make it out to be, at least in the economy segment. Also, in the rust belt, lack of rustproofing impacts the longevity of the vehicles quite a bit.
My dad chastised me for buying my Mazda 3 brand new. But since then he is on a third used vehicle. When I pointed this out after I bought my minivan brand new, he saw my logic

There are exceptions of course. But generally speaking buying brand new is not as expensive as a lot of people make it out to be, at least in the economy segment. Also, in the rust belt, lack of rustproofing impacts the longevity of the vehicles quite a bit.
My dad chastised me for buying my Mazda 3 brand new. But since then he is on a third used vehicle. When I pointed this out after I bought my minivan brand new, he saw my logic

I think you're confusing your exception for the rule. If you read any main finance site or car site, the general consensus is that a used car is a better deal than a new car. I'm not really sure why you're trying to convince anyone that it isn't. We gets lots of rust up in MA too, but I think part of its maintaining the car. I always took my car to a car wash that did an undercarriage wash and I had minimal problems with rusting. Mostly the cars gave out before rust got to it but I would see other cars of the same vintage as mine that were more rusted out. Maybe the trick that your dad is missing is buying the right year used car. A 3-5 year old used car could probably last 10+ years, probably not so for a car that's already 10-12 years old. The savings is really in owning the car for a long period. The local stores always have lifetime warranty on certain parts so even though I've replaced alternators 3 times, I only paid for it once. Same deal with struts and a few other suspension/brake parts.

The last time I bought brand new was my G35 in '06. I'm still driving it today. This is the longest I have ever kept a car, but I've frequently put more miles on vehicles.

December 2002, VW Passat GLS 1.8T, Colorado Red, with the Monsoon sound system and winter package. Had a cassette player AND a CD player, lol. Man, I liked that car.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
So now it has to be "the right" used car lol.
I'm not trying to convince anyone, just stating my experience and opinion. Some cars are a horrible new purchase, some are not, the same goes for used.

Well of course if you overpay for a used car, it can seem if the new car is cheaper. New cars have very little margin for the dealer, used cars have a lot more more. Also some used cars like some Japanese brands are way overpriced, like sometimes 5k+ for some 10+ year old car with close to 200k. By that metric, then yes, used cars can seem like a bad deal. But you can also get used cars with 50k that are at 1/3 of list price that are good for 100-150k or more, then that's a better deal than a new one. There's no point paying an extra 3-4k more for a used car that may be more reliable and save you maybe 1-2k if that. But people seem to do that all the time when it comes to Toyota and Honda.

I think you're confusing your exception for the rule. If you read any main finance site or car site, the general consensus is that a used car is a better deal than a new car. I'm not really sure why you're trying to convince anyone that it isn't. We gets lots of rust up in MA too, but I think part of its maintaining the car. I always took my car to a car wash that did an undercarriage wash and I had minimal problems with rusting. Mostly the cars gave out before rust got to it but I would see other cars of the same vintage as mine that were more rusted out. Maybe the trick that your dad is missing is buying the right year used car. A 3-5 year old used car could probably last 10+ years, probably not so for a car that's already 10-12 years old. The savings is really in owning the car for a long period. The local stores always have lifetime warranty on certain parts so even though I've replaced alternators 3 times, I only paid for it once. Same deal with struts and a few other suspension/brake parts.

So after all the disagreement and discussion about how important it is to wash your car, you're agreeing with the guy you originally disagreed with?
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back