Lubegard Red or Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to replace the ATF fluid in my 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan with Maxlife and want to add Lubegard. It has 155k and the tranny does have some shuddering once in awhile and I would like to extend the life of the tranny as much as I can.

Lubegard Red or Platinum?

I've noticed on this site that Lubegard Red seems to be more popular instead of the Platinum. Is the Red a more superior than platinum or are they targeted for different applications?

I would drop the pan and change the filter with an OE filter first before adding the Lubegard red. You can always add it later to help improve the shifting.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I would drop the pan and change the filter with an OE filter first before adding the Lubegard red. You can always add it later to help improve the shifting.

I do plan to change the filter and then refill with Maxlife and Lubegard. I was thinking about using a WIX Transmission filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by diyjake

I do plan to change the filter and then refill with Maxlife and Lubegard. I was thinking about using a WIX Transmission filter.

I've used Wix before without issue but with Chrysler transmissions I would use a Mopar filter. They aren't much different in price here.

I do not know much about lube Gard as have never used it, but I have owned about 20 various cars and trucks since 1977, fords, honda, Toyota, Lexus, Subaru, GM and have never used lube gard or any additives and never had any transmission or shift problems, by just changing the AT fluid about every 35 to 40K with regular OE fluid. A quick search reveals that Lubegard has a PDF chart showing which color to use for whatever make model.

I have used Wix in Chrysler and Mopar. Chrysler transmissions of your vintage and earlier can be somewhat problematic so I wouldn't want to suggest anything other than OEM to give it the best chance at surviving as aftermarket parts could differ. But Wix I have confidence in, I would just lean toward a Mopar filter for your series of transmission.

I am surprised that the Red is more popular over Platinum. I just looked on their website and under platinum it says "Contains all the same benefits as the LUBEGARD ATF Protectant"

If you have a Mopar tranny with the spin on filter go OEM Mopar for that. Wix filters are fine for any regular transmission filter, I've installed several in GMs. I tried PowerTorque and both times that garbage didn't fit.

Looks like you can use Red or Platinum (scrolling through the chart linked above.

I've only ever used Red. In my Hondas, my old 1990 Chevy truck, and my Subaru Outback (which I sold last year). No tranny issues here.

Originally Posted by diyjake

That's kinda funny. I have this exact combo in one of my vehicles. Valvoline Maxlife, Lubegard Red, and a Wix filter. So far, it's been a great combo.

The fluid that is currently in my Fusion's 6F35 trans is mostly Valvoline MaxLife ATF and my last drain & fill was: 1 Gal Valvoline MaxLife + 0.5qt Motorcraft Mercon LV + 1 bottle LubeGard Red.

I hate lubeguard. Put it in my in laws liberty trans, it filled the pan with metal and made a solenoid fail. Put there power steering fluid in a Tracker, the rack leaked like crazy. Switched out both with supertech fluid and all is well, I did have to replace the solenoid clean the pan and put in a new filter.

Oh I put the power steering fluid in my gmc with hydroboost, caused a terrible wierd weak brake pedal. Put in prestone standard ps fluid and its fine again, well not fine but the same as all hydroboost pedals.

Last edited:
What is the transmission designation as we know it is a four-speed AT?

Check and see of the required fluid is Mopar AS68RC.

If not, then I would not use MaxLife but use an ATF+4.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
What is the transmission designation as we know it is a four-speed AT?

Check and see of the required fluid is Mopar AS68RC.

If not, then I would not use MaxLife but use an ATF+4.

You are correct it should be ATF+4. I thought Maxlife covered ATF+4 but I haven't been out to Wal-Mart to check the oil jig.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back