Looking at a cheap commuter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, been digging for a cheap commuter.

I have two options at the moment that wont break the bank.

Any thoughts on these two? I dont know much about either although the long term reviews have been good for reliability and economy.

2008 Suzuki swift 5 speed. 140k mikes for $1200

2007 Ford Focus sedan 100k miles for $1000 needs rockers (can do it myself for $100)

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by ryan2022
Hi guys, been digging for a cheap commuter.

I have two options at the moment that wont break the bank.

Any thoughts on these two? I dont know much about either although the long term reviews have been good for reliability and economy.

2008 Suzuki swift 5 speed. 140k mikes for $1200

2007 Ford Focus sedan 100k miles for $1000 needs rockers (can do it myself for $100)

Thoughts?

I bought the Focus in my sig back in 2015 and I love it. It's fun to drive, feel solid for such a small car and I would not hesitate to buy another one. Bonus that the 2007 is the newest (last year) of the first gen car.

You'd pay a lot more for a Civic or Corolla. How are Suzuki parts? Same as the Metro? Since it's cheaper and less miles my first inclination would be the Focus. Twenty years ago, I was more interested in the unique and might have bitten on the Suzuki.

(Didn't notice your address. Assume Suzukis are much more common there?)

Last edited:
I'm guessing either will be fine. The Focus gives me pause, if it needs rockers then how are the brake lines?

IMO I'd buy whichever was lower rust. And in lower need (tires, TB, whatever on the schedule that might be coming up). I want to say the parts availability is still there on the Suzuki, although if anything "big" breaks I'm guessing it can be simply tossed and you'd just move on. For either car.

(too) Cheap commuters rarely save money.

between falling apart from rust, needing major repairs, insurance cost etc.

How far is this commute?

Now buying one to save miles on a $40000 dollar truck I could see.. but your other car options dont seem worth "saving" ?

I guess I should add that my Focus is practically rust free compared to what I could find around where I live.

Not everyone caught on that the OP resides in England. To give him the standard Civic or Corolla advice may not make sense over the pond. The engines available in the Focus, Civic, Corolla..................... in Europe vs here in the USA are usually different.

I loved my 1st Gen Focus Hatch with the 2.0 Zetec. Fun to drive and I thought more engaging than the Mazda 3 of the same era. The Mazda 3 was a better car but felt sterile in comparison. The Focus was just slow enough you could beat on it without getting arrested. I'm not sure what the typical engine would have been in Europe though. 1.6L maybe?

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Not everyone caught on that the OP resides in England.

Is he? I didn't catch that. There's a Peterborough somewhere in NH, wasn't sure but figured there were others in the states.

Not everyone caught on that the OP resides in England.

Or Peterborough, Ontario, Canada, since he talks dollars and mentions Kendall in his sig. But he spells out miles after 140k and 100k. This being a U.S. board, there's no need to say so unless he's translating for the majority of users.

Not everyone caught on that the OP resides in England. To give him the standard Civic or Corolla advice may not make sense over the pond. The engines available in the Focus, Civic, Corolla..................... in Europe vs here in the USA are usually different.

How do we know this the link on the forum isnt accurate.

I figured Peterborough Ontario more likely.

Lololol. Thanks guys. Some funny responses.

Yep. Timid and overly apologetic canadian here.

I swapped it to miles for those of us who have trouble with the metric system. ...

Focuses tend to have rocker issues here but good call on the undercoating and body.

I'll look at both and report back. I also have a line on a 99 civic with decent kms.

I'll be back!

Glad these are no major red flags on either. Parts are cheap for both

The Swift sold in Canada in 2008 was a Chevy Aveo, which is a piece of junk. Now, if you were in England, then I'd say get the Swift because they still get the real Suzuki-made Swift.

Buy the best-condition rust-free car you can find, and Krown it every year
smile.gif

Fly out to LA or Phoenix and buy a nice older ride (w/o rust) and drive it home. You could get a lot more car than either of those for the same money including the air fare
smile.gif

^^^ Perhaps, if he didn't need to spend $1.30 per U.S.buck and he didn't need to pay import tax on his U.S. purchase on top of the provincial and federal sales taxes on the order of 15 per cent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back