EU version of Subaru 2.5 FB engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by IMPALA08
What are you guys using in EU & IRL/UK. In the USA 0W20 is recommended I think you guys are thicker.

Mobil1 recommends Mobil1 ESP 5W30 in Germany. That means HTHS above 3.5. That means Subaru is probably recommending ACEA A3/B3 B4 or in newer vehicles C3.

Last edited:
In the older ones yes, in the newer ones 0w30 A3/B4 so it still has a higher HTHS than USA use. Toyota recommends 10w60 or 10w50 in the 86 if used in stock engine road racing.
Older Subaru engines seem to like 5w40, I never saw a boxer (any) that liked thin oils they tend to get noisy as they age, may be the new ones are different I don't know.

WOW 5w40.....going up 2 grades from what US/Canada wants. Is that what dealer is putting in?

In the US everyone is moving to 0W20 because of CAFE.
In Europe for example engine in my Sienna, 2GR-FE is also recommended for ACEA A3/B3 B4.

WOW 5w40.....going up 2 grades from what US/Canada wants. Is that what dealer is putting in?

Yes, it is. A3/B4 is also what's specified in the owner's manual of my buddy's XV with the 2.0L.

M1 0w-40 is in Finland service fill on many Japanese cars. Toyota have their own oil and newer honda engines 1.5l max viscosity range of xx-30 use mobil1 0w-30 A5 for their service fill.

What are you guys using in EU & IRL/UK. In the USA 0W20 is recommended I think you guys are thicker.

I think the need to be suitable for autobahns makes requirements tougher (often thicker).

I have a VW 1.8T PLUS VW 2.5 5 cyl and I want to buy a bulk container for all the oil. It's such a waste for auto mtg to have these different oil requirerments

I have a VW 1.8T PLUS VW 2.5 5 cyl and I want to buy a bulk container for all the oil. It's such a waste for auto mtg to have these different oil requirerments

To satisfy the VW and Subaru requirements, just buy a 502.00 oil. It will meet ACEA A3 and Subaru's requirements per their European owner's manual.

You should ask the local German shops that use Motul by the 55 gallon drum where they get their oil from.

Or ask Pablo to hook you up in pricing for Amsoil product in 30 gallon or 55 gallon drums

Last edited:
I changed my oil over the weekend and did a mix of 50/50 of 0w20 and 5w 30
I'll let that run for 5000 miles and I'll have one more batch of 50/50 mix then I'll go straight 5w 30. So far be it only 3 days no drop in seat of the paints performance or mpg. And it's been in the teens to low 30's since I make the change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back