New “rules” changing your choice of car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there!

Not going to beat around the best, but with some new "rules" in place, the price of a new car/truck is going to go up quite a bit (based on steel and parts). Sounds like some models could jump up to almost 20 percent. (Though I think many will stay under 10). This, and knowing that production is being cut slightly, is not going to give discounts either.

And of course, this will drive the used car market up as well, along with the cost of parts to care for our stuff.

My question to you guys is: will this change what your plans are to purchase?

In my case, yes and no. Still plan on a new CUV, but the other car that we get will be used for sure.

As far as parts, will still by the same ones I do now......

Generally, nobody's "plans" will change. A rising price is just one factor. A great increase in price could simply knock vehicles off a potential list.

Originally Posted by Kira
Generally, nobody's "plans" will change. A rising price is just one factor. A great increase in price could simply knock vehicles off a potential list.

Yes, and no I would think- but you and I know that it could throw off the budget of many folk. Less Discounts, and greater money down for a lease might put some folk in a major pickle.

In our case, I would agree with you. I plan to be safe and just have one new car in the family......

Buying new cars is such a waste of money vs 2-3 year old lightly used. As well as leasing,really? rent a car for 2 or 3 years?
I will stick to used cars with a good warranty and buy what I can afford as always and keep it till the wheels fall off!

Hmm, good question. The only new vehicle that we're interested in is a minivan, and TBH if those prices rise to the "nope" level then we're not exactly sad. Furthermore, there really isn't anything new we're interested in. My wife wants a manual transmission, and I'm a cheapskate. My only concern would be if used pricing stays strong.

Originally Posted by bradepb
Buying new cars is such a waste of money vs 2-3 year old lightly used. As well as leasing,really? rent a car for 2 or 3 years?
I will stick to used cars with a good warranty and buy what I can afford as always and keep it till the wheels fall off!

Depends upon depreciation. New Toyota/Honda has long not been a great deal used at the 2-3 year level. Domestics can be, but domestic trucks have had low depreciation lately. Meaning cost/mile is very close.

Try that on a used truck and let us know how it works out... When I bought my current truck, when you factored in the miles already on the vehicles when buying used, it was more expensive per mile to buy a used truck in the 2-4 year old range. Lower initial purchase price, yes, but assuming you get the same number of miles out of either a new or used, you let someone else use a bunch of them...

Last edited:
We have a consumer driven economy, but tariffs will cause me to cut way back. I have more cash as an investor than I ever have as I expect a long, tough recession. My grandpa always told me the depression was coming back when I was a kid, so watch my money, so I've long been prepared for what goes around, comes around. It's Smoot-Hawley 2, kids. And.... I'll never buy another new car.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what rule caused the stop/start feature to be created, but I don't plan on buying a vehicle that had this feature. I've heard them in an area with a lot of stop and go traffic. It initially makes you think they're having engine trouble. Then it's just annoying.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I'm not sure what rule caused the stop/start feature to be created, but I don't plan on buying a vehicle that had this feature. I've heard them in an area with a lot of stop and go traffic. It initially makes you think they're having engine trouble. Then it's just annoying.

Agree , that is the worst thing ever to improve mileage and emissions but they are simply running out of ideas. It has to also increase cost of manufacture and maintenance cost .

I can see a coast feature coming where if you are going downhill the engine shuts off in the future. That would save tons of gas.
crackmeup2.gif

This is not true.

The typical 2-3 yr old used car is going to be off lease. Outside of cosmetics, people who lease generally abuse their cars. It's one reason why they lease. People who lease don't want to have to worry about out of warranty repairs and they're not stuck with a bad car that they can't get out from underneath or will lose money on. If you want to buy a fun car to drive (ex BMW) then there's a risk associated with buying an off lease car because many enthusiasts will add tunes and other modifications only to revert the car back to stock come end of lease. That's a real risk when your warranty will only last 2-3 yrs tops. Of course there's the cost of repairs. Just about all cars these days are expensive to repair and/or not everyone has the space to work on their car at their residence (think condo/apartment dwellers).

Another thing is that self-employed can deduct the entire lease payment. If they finance/buy they can only depreciate the vehicle and write off interest.

Global FE requirements. It's not a big deal tbh and it forces one to drive at a more leisure pace vs shotgun starts at stoplights and into traffic. My wife hates it, but she always takes off like a banshee once the light turns green.

Agree , that is the worst thing ever to improve mileage and emissions but they are simply running out of ideas. It has to also increase cost of manufacture and maintenance cost .

I can see a coast feature coming where if you are going downhill the engine shuts off in the future. That would save tons of gas.
crackmeup2.gif

If you want an ICE then it's the only solution. Cost and maintenance is negligible. Cars are expensive because credit is cheap.

crackmeup2.gif

Every fuel injected car has had that for years. You shut off fuel flow, same thing as coasting. The downhill starts the car again when you when you press the throttle.

This EPA nonsense has gotten out of control. IF I want to save fuel it should be my choice, as it stands you're not getting the "wasted" fuel for free... You're already paying for it at the pump.

Obviously Americans don't care because we're mostly driving trucks and UTEs of various sizes. When we start caring, vehicle choice will save a lot more fuel than slapping some silly start/stop feature on a 2 ton SUV.

But hey, the government bean counters can tout the 2% savings on a 15mpg Mercedes!

I think the key point in this is "could" and "might" change in price.

Gasoline "could" and "might" change in price, but people buy cars based on today's price, not what it might do in the future.

Let's wait and see...

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

This is not true.

The typical 2-3 yr old used car is going to be off lease. Outside of cosmetics, people who lease generally abuse their cars. It's one reason why they lease. People who lease don't want to have to worry about out of warranty repairs and they're not stuck with a bad car that they can't get out from underneath or will lose money on. If you want to buy a fun car to drive (ex BMW) then there's a risk associated with buying an off lease car because many enthusiasts will add tunes and other modifications only to revert the car back to stock come end of lease. That's a real risk when your warranty will only last 2-3 yrs tops. Of course there's the cost of repairs. Just about all cars these days are expensive to repair and/or not everyone has the space to work on their car at their residence (think condo/apartment dwellers).

Another thing is that self-employed can deduct the entire lease payment. If they finance/buy they can only depreciate the vehicle and write off interest.

I've gotten into discussions with used car salesmen about lease cars. Generally my girlfriend and I are both happy with our one year old Hertz purchases. When you add in 1.4 million Enterprise cars, 700,000 Hertz and 300,000 Avis, I believe most used one year old cars at dealers are in fact, rental returns. At least it looks like the oil was changed in our cars, although air and cabin filters weren't exactly clean.

I've suspected that many off lease cars in fact get their oil changed even less, getting almost no service for the full ride. I've been assured that all dealers carefully check service records at the end of the lease and that these cars are, for the most part, carefully maintained. That true?

How much does the raw metal cost for a vehicle? Maybe $3000? So 25 % tariff on that is $750. Seems to me if prices are going up 10 to 20‰, or $3500, someone is taking advantage of the consumer.

Yep, the oil changes as indicated by the Oil Life Indicator would be the only maintenance required in the first 100,000 miles. Any lease company mechanics out there to confirm this?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back