Inside an Alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by MolaKule
He never said anything about removing the Battery ground.

I thought the same, but I think he takes these parts off dead vehicles to do his thing because there were spiders in the Alternator.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
Originally Posted by MolaKule
He never said anything about removing the Battery ground.

I thought the same, but I think he takes these parts off dead vehicles to do his thing because there were spiders in the Alternator.
grin2.gif

I don't like spiders.

Those little ones I don't mind... It's the big buggers from places like Australia that I don't like. Did you know that spiders can hear you from across the room?
wink.gif

I like how he refers to the nut and bolt sizes (both assembly and mounting hardware) as if all alternators were the exact same and came out of the same cars the world over.

I think he threw the toothbrush down disrespectfully.

Rotating field and stationary conductors were a big improvement over the old generators. First alternator I ever saw was on a 1960 Valiant. GM products still had generators in 1964.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Rotating field and stationary conductors were a big improvement over the old generators. First alternator I ever saw was on a 1960 Valiant. GM products still had generators in 1964.

I was lucky enough to see my dad take one apart. I couldn't believe that the old generators had to be disconnected when the engine was idling to prevent them from discharging the battery. I know why they did it but it seems like that could really be unreliable if you were stuck in traffic sort of thing.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey

GM, in literature, still called them generators through at least the 1990s, even though they weren't. They didn't want to admit Mopar invented something nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back