What's the difference ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference between a 4 cycle engine motor oil and regular high quality motor oil?

I just finish buying a Honda 6.0 HP powerwasher and i want to extend the life of this thing for years to come. The manuel says to run a 4 cycle motor oil, but i hear people putting regular 10w-30 API certified SL and Sj oil.

I happen to put 10w-30 Havoline for the first five hours of use and then switch to a synthetic 10w-30 Mobile 1 EP.

Has any body run their powerwasher for years with regular oil without any problems?
I would like your thoughts on this.

i have a honda overhead cam pressure cleaner that is used for commercal purposes. its one of the early models, when the "gc" series first came out. i run 15w40 delo in it.
each year it is used to maintain 4 properties, including wood fence, sidewalk, driveway, patio, the house exterrior walls, landscape rocks, etc for each property. typical uses.

thats alot of use on a homeowner type engine, and it has performed flawlessly so far.

No, but I do have about 5 years on my Honda lawnmower with the same engine. After the first 5 hours I dumped the Honda oil and switched to Amsoil, Royal Purple, Mobil 1, Schaeffers and probably others that I can't remember. Engine still runs perfectly and valve lash is still in spec. Don't worry

Chico, the difference between oils labeled "4 cycle motor oil" for outdoor power equipment use and modern PCMOs (passenger car motor oils) is (mostly) the additive package. Current PCMOs have less zinc and phosphorous in their formula to protect catalytic converters and comply with tighter emissions standards.

However, many of these same newer oils have more molybdenum and boron-based additives. Does this make up for the reduced zinc and phosphorous? I am not sure any of us know for sure ... but these thinner oils with newer additive packages often turn in good UOAs in car engines.

And yes, the newest PCMOs also tend to shear down quickly ... even in a car's liquid-cooled engine. I imagine this will happen even more quickly in an hotter-running air-cooled engine.

I will use PCMOs in new outdoor power equipment, especially newer, tighter motors ... but then I will change them very often. Sometimes I will change the oil after just a handful of hours of run time, especially if I am putting it away for the season.

As engines become older (at least fully broken-in) I usually switch them over to 15W-40 HDEOs.

I think if you change the oil every 25 hours or once each year (whichever comes first) an engine will outlast the unit it's powering regardless of the type you use.

--- Bror Jace

Thanks guys, for all your replys. It has been helpful and educative. I turn the machine on today with a 10w-30 Havoline motor oil added to it. The powerwasher worked great. No problems whatsoever, turn on real quick and got the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back