Effects of regular oil spray rustproofing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did this yesterday. '05 Frontier. Couda shoulda done it when I bought it new.

IMG_20180903_122257403.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
The new calcium chloride and beet juice solution they spray on the roads here before a winter storm, when wet thereafter sticks to your vehicle like crazy and leaves a nice haze on the glass, paint and mirrors. It's a Royal PITA washing it off especially when it's too cold to get a car wash for weeks at a time.

I have never noticed beet juice being used in Toronto. Does it have a reddish tint? Is it being used in Toronto and I just have not noticed it?

All Krown techs have to be re-certified annually where as RustCheck they don't. Krown also has an extensive library on all makes/models of where to put the holes to avoid sensitive electronics and where trouble prone spots are on each vehicle given their designs etc. Rust Check has basic training for the shop doing the application once and that's it and then they support the folks with a help-line. I think that's why there is usually a quality application difference and inconsistencies.

I have used Rust Check in the past to see what the difference was and was less than impressed with my local shop here. They liked spraying lots of plastic things under the car and in the wheel wells and missed all sorts of metal that would of rusted if I hadn't touch it up with a Krown application later.

The current Krown I use was recently purchased by another group of people. The previous owner/workers did a terrible job, imo, and that is why I ventured away and started using a Rust Check place instead. As I mentioned, I use to do my own vehicles but when I found a guy on Bloor here in Oshawa who was as anal as I was with Rust Check, it was a no brainer not to use him.
He sold it to Monroe auto glass, who I used once, and that was enough as it reminded me of the job the Krown place did. Last year, after using another Rust Check place whose job was less than stellar, I was told about the new owners at Krown so I tried them and was very pleased.

Like I mentioned, I believe both products are great but it all depends on who applies them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by George7941
The new calcium chloride and beet juice solution they spray on the roads here before a winter storm, when wet thereafter sticks to your vehicle like crazy and leaves a nice haze on the glass, paint and mirrors. It's a Royal PITA washing it off especially when it's too cold to get a car wash for weeks at a time.

I have never noticed beet juice being used in Toronto. Does it have a reddish tint? Is it being used in Toronto and I just have not noticed it?

It's been used on Toronto streets for a number of years now. No noticeable tint to the brine. It is applied just before the snow starts falling.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by George7941

No it's white and leaves white lines on the road when sprayed. It's mixed with Calcium Chloride.

Originally Posted by irv
All Krown techs have to be re-certified annually where as RustCheck they don't. Krown also has an extensive library on all makes/models of where to put the holes to avoid sensitive electronics and where trouble prone spots are on each vehicle given their designs etc. Rust Check has basic training for the shop doing the application once and that's it and then they support the folks with a help-line. I think that's why there is usually a quality application difference and inconsistencies.

I have used Rust Check in the past to see what the difference was and was less than impressed with my local shop here. They liked spraying lots of plastic things under the car and in the wheel wells and missed all sorts of metal that would of rusted if I hadn't touch it up with a Krown application later.

The current Krown I use was recently purchased by another group of people. The previous owner/workers did a terrible job, imo, and that is why I ventured away and started using a Rust Check place instead. As I mentioned, I use to do my own vehicles but when I found a guy on Bloor here in Oshawa who was as anal as I was with Rust Check, it was a no brainer not to use him.
He sold it to Monroe auto glass, who I used once, and that was enough as it reminded me of the job the Krown place did. Last year, after using another Rust Check place whose job was less than stellar, I was told about the new owners at Krown so I tried them and was very pleased.

Like I mentioned, I believe both products are great but it all depends on who applies them.

I would have taken it up with their head office because they won't stand for that type of work. They care about customer service. Like any franchise you can have those that cut corners and that shouldn't be a reflection of the brand unless the brand itself won't investigate and correct such actions.

No it's white and leaves white lines on the road when sprayed. It's mixed with Calcium Chloride.

I will look for the white lines this winter.

They usually spray the roads with something that looks like a sewage truck and it has crop duster like sprayers on the back. Usually 4 - 6 thin lines on the road is what it leaves. They do it right before a big storm or a deep freeze.

There's an old timer who does the vehicles I have in Fall; no rust on them whatsoever - here's one of them -

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_4294.JPG

IMG_4293.JPG

Originally Posted by ofelas
There's an old timer who does the vehicles I have in Fall; no rust on them whatsoever - here's one of them -

It looks like he does a great job! Any idea what he uses?

My old Hygard mixed in with Boeshield through a mist wand :-O
It looks like a tar coating! [censored] that thing is clean, no rust even on the axle!

I usually go nuts with Tremclad during the summer, but there's enough of the Fall coating left after winter that Tremclad barely sticks.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
It looks like a tar coating! [censored] that thing is clean, no rust even on the axle!

I had been oil spraying the Focus since new. Last year I had to replace some suspension components. Everything came apart super easy, I loved that. Unfortunately, since I didn't go in to the body like Krown or Rustcheck, the rocker panels and floors ended up rusting out.

When I got the subaru, I did as much as I could it's first year to get fluid film everywhere. That seemed to work, but I wasn't impressed with it's holding and sticking power by the end of the winter. This year I got krown. They drilled and plugged lots of holes in the body in addition to getting the underside / unibody. I really hope to have the Subaru longer than I had the Focus. If the Focus didn't turn to rust, I would still have it.

I don't like having rusty vehicles. The bed is collapsing on my F350. I have maybe one more year out of it. I will probably end up building a flatbed for it. If it had been oil sprayed, it would still be in good shape.

I had to look those things up as I had never heard of either one.

Looks like a quality combination that is working well.
cheers3.gif

Speaking of Fluid Film.
I recently posted a vid of penetrating fluids and to my surprise, I noticed Fluid Film didn't do a great job of penetrating the rusted bolts the man was trying to get apart.
Imo, FF might be good for coating things to help prevent rust but it is a poor choice, imo, if you want it to creep into all the welds and seams where rust/salt usually tends to settle.

Last edited:
I don't understand the love for FF for exposed areas like the undercarriage of a vehicle. For rocker panels, or door insides where it isn't exposed to the elements imo it would be OK. In areas subjected to washing off I'd use something better.

Trav had turned me onto this a few years ago RUST PROOFING COMPOUND and the product works very well. It doesn't have to be reapplied as much as FF, and dries enough so that working under a vehicle doesn't become more messy that it can be. It isn't cheap, but it is better, longer lasting, and if I factor in my time it is a big time winner over FF. The salt spray results are pretty impressive.

I will corroborate demarpaint's post about FF being a milksop as far as effectiveness against rust.
As far as a thread wicking rust buster, try a 50-50 mix of acetone-ATF.
Of course, one could also break out the torch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back