Ok to use in Kubota? Pennsoil 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got this at wm yesterday. Pennzoil 0w-40, it says ok for diesel and gas. I'd like to use it in one of my Kubota's. Both small 3 cylinder(d782 and I think a d1005). They call for 10w-30. I did put that in the d1005, but the d782 got Lucas 15w40.(I think 15w-40 is on the chart too)
D1005 has 220 hrs on it and d782 has 1140.

Think this is ok to use?

I do plan to switch them both to rotella t6 5w-40, eventually.

B367DC85-980C-44E3-AF82-0F6DE94EFC84.jpeg

No it is not OK to use. Don't do it, that oil is not for heavy duty diesel engine use. It says on the label for light duty diesel. It is not like a car engine that runs at 1/4 throttle. Your Kubota runs at wide open throttle at all times and full load most of the time. Just no.

+1 wdn. Not an HDEO.

My 2014 BX 2360 3 cyl is tough on oil. Ran a Blackstone and confirmed that. Kubota only specified 15W-40 CJ-4 on mine. But that was before CK-4 came out. On this series that they put out, they had a marginal radiator and it runs HOT when it's working hard. On the "Everything Orange" Kubota forum, there has been many complain about it and several have replaced heads. Don't know it they ever addressed it. My owners manual also had a ridiculously long OCI too. I would never exceed 100 hrs or 1 year whichever comes first. BTW, I'm using Amsoil HD and it holds up super.

No problem.

I have over 5000 hours on my Kubota d722 8K genset using mobil 1 Ow-40 and the wear numbers, cleanliness, parameters and remaining TBN are super low even after 250+ hour sump run.

Id say the pennzoil is equally good and more than fine to run based on what Ive seen.

UD

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 1.50.37 PM.png

Last edited:
If your running your engines at PTO rpms with a good load on them, I'd probably feel better running a good conventional 15W40 in your climate. If your just doing loader work or running a backhoe, probably almost any oil is fine. I run 5W40 just for cold starts, if I only had the odd -5C start I'd probably just run 15W40. At -20C though I like the T6 5W40 though.

Originally Posted by UncleDave
No problem.

I have over 5000 hours on my Kubota d722 8K genset using mobil 1 Ow-40 and the wear numbers, cleanliness, parameters and remaining TBN are super low even after 250+ hour sump run.

Id say the pennzoil is equally good and more than fine to run based on what Ive seen.

UD

I'm impressed. What RPM does it see?

I use Mobil Delvac 1300 Super in 15W-40, in my 2001 Kubota BX-2000. Change oil and filter (Wix or Kubota) every 100 hours and I have beat that Kubota like a government mule for the past 17 years and still runs fine. Again, heavy duty engine oil is a must with these tractors and their industrial diesel engines. If doubts remain you call Kubota and say, "My tractor is spec'ed for 10W-30 or 15W-40 engine oil, and requires CJ-4 or whatever, but can I use 0W-40 instead that is formulated for German automobiles and not rated as a heavy duty engine oil, and will the Kubota tractor warranty cover my use of it?" Because if Kubota would not pay for warranty engine repairs on their dime even when a tractor was new, that is a pretty good bet you are not supposed to use it without assuming some risk.

They are your tractors though. I understand these diesel engines are also used on stationary generators, a completely different application -- but a stationary engine is not running under a small enclosed hood and moving around over fields and ruts in a hot, dusty environment that is kicking up dust and mud and bits of brush, like a tractor does daily, and possibly mowing grass that blocks the radiator screen with clippings, etc.

Wow this brought about more conversation than i though. I will pass on using it. I have lot of Lucas 15w-40 magnum i bought for $1 a gallon awhile back, and several gallons of T6.

I will use this in a lawn mower or something. I work on them and change a lot of oil in them. Probably dump it in a Kohler, the barrel of straight 40 I have doesnt do great with the hydraulic lifters. Might dump it in my wife's hyundia sonata.i think it specs 5w-20 or 10w-30. I'm sure the 0w-40 will work for wintertime use in this car.

Thanks for the replies all.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
No problem.

UD

Tough to say as there is no tach - it runs at max load for several hours a day and half load the rest of the time,
it has been in continual use everyday since 2013.

Kubota says this particular engine only needs SN and has recently certed large sump versions for 1000 hour OCI's.

UD

Originally Posted by dlundblad
No problem.

UD

Tough to say as there is no tach - it runs at max load for several hours a day and half load the rest of the time,
it has been in continual use everyday since 2013.

Kubota says this particular engine only needs SN and has recently certed large sump versions for 1000 hour OCI's.

UD

Only SN on a diesel? Very interesting indeed.

I'll have to recheck the manuals, but the D600 and D662 require 10w30 CJ-4 if I remember right. Not sure how they compare to your 772, but the 662 puts out around 16 horse. I've read here that these D series engines are quite industrious little monsters. Yours proves the point. Ours sees maybe 15 hrs a year... Lol.

Constant use? What is it used to run?

If you don't mind my asking, what did it cost? I'm looking to buy a Kubota L2501 and a rear mount 6000 watt PTO generator eventually. The generator alone costs $1000 and I'd need a trailer or 3 point holder of some sort as well as a PTO shaft.

Last edited:
I know of a Kubota D905 powered Marathon 6.5kw genset (in a very, very remote location) for the US DoD that runs 24/7/365

It gets the cheapest 15W-40 that governments contractors will supply, and the last time I saw it - it had almost 30,000 hours on it. It gets it's oil changed about once every 1000 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back