Last time you purchased new vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In late 1971 I bought a new 1971 Dodge dart 4D /6 car. It was my 1st. new car. Drove it till it rusted out in 1988. About 147000 miles. It was a year end close out, something like $2600. Was cheap transportation at a time when that was all I could afford.

Last edited:
April 2018: Chevy Silverado 3500HD WT Single Cab

K3500.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday, 2018 Honda CR V for the wife. Hers was total when some ol' boy decided to run a stop sign in OKC. Luckily he had insurance.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by blupupher
I was kind of stupid in the early 2000's. I don't want to think of how much money I wasted. Not sure if I will ever buy new again.

Dont feel too bad, Silversnake (above) has you beat! [/i]

blupupher and gfh776665: People spend their money on many "unnecessary" things:

* Expensive cloths that are not worth anything once out of the store
* Jewelry that is marked up to a small fortune (try selling it later and see what you get)
* More house and property than they will every need
* Vacation homes
* Coin or stamp collections
* Yachts or boats (as they say "a hole in the water")
* Huge motor homes and travel trailers
* Expensive cruises on cattle car ships
* Extended vacations to foreign locations
* Horses (any idea what they cost to keep?)
* Tickets to high dollar sporting events
* I could add to this list all day long

Maybe these are "stupid" ways to spend money, maybe not. I don't usually judge people on how they spend their money but since you might think my choices are stupid why don't you give us your lists? I am sure we can pick out many "stupid" expenditures.

Last edited:
2011 Camry, bought brand new at 0% financing for 60 months.
Before that was 2007 Corolla, bought brand new also at 0% financing for 60 months.
Two very reliable commuter cars with bulletproof engines, so I hope to drive them to the ground until the wheels come off.
My goal is to squeeze 500K miles out of each one.

Originally Posted by SilverSnake
I was kind of stupid in the early 2000's. I don't want to think of how much money I wasted. Not sure if I will ever buy new again.

blupupher and gfh776665: People spend their money on many "unnecessary" things:

* Expensive cloths that are not worth anything once out of the store
* Jewelry that is marked up to a small fortune (try selling it later and see what you get)
* More house and property than they will every need
* Vacation homes
* Coin or stamp collections
* Yachts or boats (as they say "a hole in the water")
* Huge motor homes and travel trailers
* Expensive cruises on cattle car ships
* Extended vacations to foreign locations
* Horses (any idea what they cost to keep?)
* Tickets to high dollar sporting events
* I could add to this list all day long

Maybe these are "stupid" ways to spend money, maybe not. I don't usually judge people on how they spend their money but since you might think my choices are stupid why don't you give us your lists? I am sure we can pick out many "stupid" expenditures.

Well I think you can only say they're stupid depending on the financial situation. Without that, can't really say one way or the other.

I knew a guy who'd buy a new Mercedes SL every time a new body style came out. He had plenty of money though so it wasn't stupid. Might be for someone else not in the same situation.

In 2008, the economic downturn in my region saw gas prices spike (to more than it is currently) and there was a sudden movement to more fuel efficient compacts from bloated SUVs and trucks.

The used market the sweet spot is the 3-6 year old range where vehicle depreciation makes its largest impact, resulting in the value being 50-30% of what it was new. Those selling in the used market took advantage of the uptick in demand which resulted in used cars 3-6 years old being priced within $2000-4000 of new. It made no sense to buy used at that time, so I bought the Corolla in my signature.

I still drive it and it has been the most trouble free, unbelievably boringly reliable car I have ever owned with the single repair being a 1/2 price covered water pump, nothing else. Other than fuel, tires and oil changes it has needed nothing...it even has the factory brakes!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Wolf359

blupupher and gfh776665: People spend their money on many "unnecessary" things. Maybe these are "stupid" ways to spend money, maybe not. I don't usually judge people on how they spend their money but since you might think my choices are stupid why don't you give us your lists? I am sure we can pick out many "stupid" expenditures.

Well I think you can only say they're stupid depending on the financial situation. Without that, can't really say one way or the other.

Well there you go. Very good point.

Originally Posted by rollinpete
Never, back in 1984 I bought a new 1983 sportster that was my newest transportation .

My brother and I are working on a 1973 Ironhead Sportster. I love those things.

Chill, man! I am not "judging you"! In fact I am all for personal choice. I never presume to tell others how to spend their cash. It did seem your list was open to discussion, though, since it was posted publically. Spend away!

. I don't usually judge people on how they spend their money but since you might think my choices are stupid why don't you give us your lists? I am sure we can pick out many "stupid" expenditures.

Probably not. To be honest, I have afforded my self very few luxuries in my life. I had my first home paid off in full within 3 years of buying it. I put 3 kids through college, and now own 8 rental homes (4 of which were paid for in cash). I also have a pretty healthy 401K. I did all this on a single working mans income (year), as my wife stayed at home and raised the children. I don't hunt, fish, buy fancy clothes or Rolex watches, or take extravagant vacations. I live a simple but financially diciplined full life. Honestly I am just unremarkable "the guy next door" that just bought a used 2005 Chevy Silverado with 150K miles.

. I don't usually judge people on how they spend their money but since you might think my choices are stupid why don't you give us your lists? I am sure we can pick out many "stupid" expenditures.

Probably not. To be honest, I have afforded my self very few luxuries in my life. I had my first home paid off in full within 3 years of buying it. I put 3 kids through college, and now own 8 rental homes (4 of which were paid for in cash). I also have a pretty healthy 401K. I did all this on a single working mans income (year), as my wife stayed at home and raised the children. I don't hunt, fish, buy fancy clothes or Rolex watches, or take extravagant vacations. I live a simple but financially diciplined full life. Honestly I am just unremarkable "the guy next door" that just bought a used 2005 Chevy Silverado with 150K miles.

thumbsup2.gif

2011, although in 2013 I did buy my truck as a CPO--had a 27k/4yr warranty so it was close enough in my book, and optioned the way I wanted it. Hoping to hold off from buying new again for several more years.

My Corvette was the first new car I've bought since 1999 (that was a 2000 Civic) and it'll probably be the last new car I buy for a long time, because when the BMW needs replacing we'll buy another one that is about 3-4 years old (and half the price of new) The Honda only needs to last me 4 years and then when we retire we'll just have two cars.

Originally Posted by Patman
My Corvette was the first new car I've bought since 1999 (that was a 2000 Civic) and it'll probably be the last new car I buy for a long time, because when the BMW needs replacing we'll buy another one that is about 3-4 years old (and half the price of new) The Honda only needs to last me 4 years and then when we retire we'll just have two cars.

I've only bought two new BMWs(one of which I've owned for going on 23 years). Most every other one has been a 2-3 year old CPO cars. Depreciation is my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back