Odd matchbook cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
I helped clean out my parents attic recently and found these, which is a dumb place to keep matches.

DSC_0047.JPG

My grandmother (born 1898) used to say of matches, "Don't keep them in the house. Mouses little toenails will scratch 'em and start a fire".

...a good, healthy fear of fire.

That matchbook is cool. Would you please put it into an envelope and mail it to me? Flame suit ON (get it - get it?)

Originally Posted by Kira
My grandmother (born 1898) used to say of matches, "Don't keep them in the house. Mouses little toenails will scratch 'em and start a fire".

...a good, healthy fear of fire.

That matchbook is cool. Would you please put it into an envelope and mail it to me? Flame suit ON (get it - get it?)
Matches used to be called Lucifers for a reason!

Originally Posted by Kestas
Probably predates Three Mile Island, when our country was proud of their nuclear power.
To be fair, me and my friends think the local nuke plants are pretty cool, but I have never seen someone as proud of them as OVERKILL. Having a legitimate use for potassium iodide tablets is oddly nostalgic and fun.

A woman I worked with for years collected matchbooks. She would pick them up while traveling and kept a lot of them in a fish bowl on her desk. Restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores etc would give them away. It was a form of advertising back in the day.

Best matchbook I ever had was from Jimmy's Grocery in Plaquemine La. Inside it said "You can't beat Jimmy's Meat".

The general store I worked at late 70's early 80's kept an empty candy jar on the counter beside the register that was filled with paper matchbooks with his store name,address,phone number.They came in handy even if you were not a smoker.Lighting candles,incense,campfires etc.Good advertising back then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back