A Special Kind of Friction Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

MolaKule

Staff member
Rate-State-Friction depends on the state of the system in operation.

Question for today: Rate-State-Friction is commonly observed as _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ behavior.

This question is open to all.

I goggled Rate-State-Friction and got a lot of words, but not something a lay person, (me), can understand.
Apparently it's something to do with stick-slip events, as in earthquakes. Or something.....

Thermally activated or frictional
smile.gif

Rate-State-Friction depends on the state of the system in operation.

Question for today: Rate-State-Friction is commonly observed as Stick-Slip behavior.

When the contact situation evolves with time, the friction depends on the system. I.e.,An indication of such is an initial decrease in friction transitioning into a situation in which friction increases with velocity.

For high sliding speeds and low loads the junction has less time to evolve - while at higher loads and relatively slower sliding speeds the contact situation has more time to evolve, resulting in stick-slip behavior.

Stick-Slip can occur in clutch type Limited slip differentials when the dynamic friction modification has not been set properly, for example, by using an LSD additive in a non-LS gear formulation. The sound or feeling is that of differential "chattering."

Stick-Slip behavior also results deep within the Earth as earthquakes.

The man from the Show-Me state, ragtoplovr, was the first to give the correct answer so he receives the virtual BITOG Coffee Mug with a virtual quart of Full Synthetic XWXX oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back