Metzler Sportec M7 anyone ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone running one on the front. Will be needed a new front for my PC800 when the rain starts.

Second question, anyone know what the biggest oil filter is that will fit that motor?

Last edited:
I haven't tried the M7 but my ZX14R came with and M5 and I loved them. I hear the M7 is even better. I went back with Dunlop RoadSmart II tires and they're lasting much better than I anticipated.

I will probably try the M7 when these RoadSmart Dunlops are gone. I got 8000 miles from the M5 and will exceed that with these Dunlops.

Yeah, I have Dunlops on it now and I have had mixed luck with them. They seem OK on the Honda, but were just awful on my bud's Sporster ... So much so, that some Shinko's just blew them away
frown.gif

I'm running M7's on my FZ-09. They're excellent - very grippy in dry and wet, even cold (within reason). I don't expect them to last as long as the Pilot Road 4's I had before, but then again they're also cheaper. I got a set for just under $200 - Metzeler was running a $50 rebate back a couple of months ago.

I'm not 100% positive, but my gut feeling with the M7's is that either their sidewalls or carcasses (or both) are a bit on the soft side, so I find they require a bit more pressure to get the feel right.

They're a sport tire, so designed for grip over life - maybe not the best fit for a PC800? Metzeler does a sport touring tire - the Roadtec 01's which I hear are also very good but I haven't tried them.

The Fram motorcycle filter is the PH6017A, same as the 6607.
If you have the length, a 7317 size filter will fit (same diameter, just a little longer), as will a 9688 (longer and slightly wider) and a 3593a (a little longer than the 9688).

I found the 3593a size to be almost identical to the Honda oil filter.

My Super Duke came on M7s from new. The rear lasted 3100 miles, the front will probably go twice that, but only because I'm stubborn. At 5600 miles, the handling is much degraded. Stability is still OK, but steering is heavy and vague at this point. If I wasn't stubborn (or just cheap), I would've replaced the front by now, but I hate leaving money and rubber on the table.

I have a Pirelli Angel ST on the rear and another one ready to go on the front. Judging by the rear so far, I don't expect much out of the front. I have a set of Dunlop Q3+ sitting in the basement right now and will try them next.

Originally Posted by blupupher
The Fram motorcycle filter is the PH6017A, same as the 6607.
If you have the length, a 7317 size filter will fit (same diameter, just a little longer), as will a 9688 (longer and slightly wider) and a 3593a (a little longer than the 9688).

I found the 3593a size to be almost identical to the Honda oil filter.

Thanks, that's good to know. I'll measure around the filter to see how much clearance I have...

Thanks to all for the M7 comments. It's for the front, so won't be pushed very hard.

With my wife on the back, this is bike is heavily biased towards the rear tire. So I want some extra bite on the front. I'd hate to wash out the front, then have it bite, and high side us (been there, done that, oil slick...). I used to run R compound Dunlop's on the front and S compound on the rear (other bikes). But the Pacific Coast has odd tire sizes, so looking at what will fit ... M7 is available
smile.gif

Originally Posted by jeff78
I'm running M7's on my FZ-09. They're excellent - very grippy in dry and wet, even cold (within reason). I don't expect them to last as long as the Pilot Road 4's I had before, but then again they're also cheaper. I got a set for just under $200 - Metzeler was running a $50 rebate back a couple of months ago.

I'm not 100% positive, but my gut feeling with the M7's is that either their sidewalls or carcasses (or both) are a bit on the soft side, so I find they require a bit more pressure to get the feel right.

They're a sport tire, so designed for grip over life - maybe not the best fit for a PC800? Metzeler does a sport touring tire - the Roadtec 01's which I hear are also very good but I haven't tried them.

Thanks
smile.gif

Originally Posted by FowVay
I haven't tried the M7 but my ZX14R came with and M5 and I loved them. I hear the M7 is even better. I went back with Dunlop RoadSmart II tires and they're lasting much better than I anticipated.

I will probably try the M7 when these RoadSmart Dunlops are gone. I got 8000 miles from the M5 and will exceed that with these Dunlops.

Hi I am thing of M5's I don't care about having the lasted or the brightest! What mileage did you get out of the rear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back