Husqvarna chainsaw users, opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these good saws? I am looking at a Husqvarna 385XP. I got alot of trees to cut down on my property, also a lot of firewood needed. I was thinking of a Stihl but a couple of guys I know run the Husqvarna's and like them. The 385Xp is a 85cc motor. I am looking for a bigger saw in the 70cc range on up. Also thinking about a full chisel chain because of a lot of hardwood species I will cutting down. My current chainsaw is an old Echo 50cc that has been used hard for about 15-20 years. It is on its last legs. I would appreciate opinions on these saws. Thanks.

Thank you for the two website adresses. I went on the arboisite.com and learned a lot. The other site has a lot of Husky saws. Thanks.

Buy the saw with the best parts/service dealer that is convenient for you. If you use your saw a lot, something will always break when you need it the most. In Michigan, Stihl has Husky beat when it comes to service and parts network. It might be different in your locale.

Huskys can be had a many places like TSC, Lowes, etc.. But what happens if you wreck your air filter, need a new sprocket, etc..

No Husky saw worth a **** can be bought at Home Despot.
And in the UP of MI Husky more or less owns the pro market.

427, How big of wood are you going to be in consistantly? A 372 might be a better choice for you as its quit a bit lighter than the 385 and when muffler modded is very close performance wise.

I've got a 50cc stihl and the saw is great, they have the reputation around my area, but husqvarna's come in second place around here and there are many dealers for both brands.

Blano, I will be cutting trees up to only 30" in circumference. Mostly hardwoods. You mentioned the 372xp Husky. On the arborisite.com that saw is very highly thought of. A 20" chain and at least 70cc motor should do the trick I figure. I am pretty decent at a saw for an amateur. By no means am I on a pro type level. Actually enjoy cutting wood, helps me relax. I do not really feel anything bigger than a 20" bar and chain is necessary for my cutting. As far as being close to dealers. I have a Stihl and Echo dealer 2 or three miles from my house. And a Husky dealer about eight miles from my house. That old Echo saw of mine really did a nice job over the years. But it seems everyone agrees that a Stihl or Husky is the way to go in a bigger saw. I will be checking the brands out this weekend. I will let you guys know on my decision. Thanks.

for all you heavy Stihl or Husqvarna user out there, do you use the OEM 2T oil or whatever you find on sale?

I have a small Stihl saw and it is great. My brother owns a bigger Jonesred saw and that thing cuts like a bat out of ****. I don't know about reliability as he just bought it about a year ago but he does do a lot of firewood cutting.

Husky and Stihl are the best. Echo is next down the chain.

If you get a chainsaw, do yourself a favor and buy a spare chain. Always keep the spare sharp.

quote:

Blano, I will be cutting trees up to only 30" in circumference

The 372 will fill your needs nicely. Dont wait though as the 372 is being discontinued. I actually bought two last year in anticipation. Its a shame as the 372 was one of the best saws Husky has ever made.

I ended up going with a Stihl 660 Magnum.Has power but might open up the muffler some for even more power.Thanks.

FWIW I have a Stihl 021 that I bought in 1999. No problems at all. Had to cut a lot of hardwood trees down around the house. The Stihl chains are really good and last a long time.

The 660/066 is a beast and gross overkill for what you will use it fore, but it will make quick work of the job. Stihls makes a dual port muffler cover for that saw that really wakes it up. Cut out the basket inside the muffler that encloses the exhaust port, add the dual port cover, and retune the carb and you will be all set.

Blano you are right about being overkill. In the past week I had a chance to try some bigger Husky and Stihl saws out. All freinds of my brother. A Husky 395xp with a 24" bar....very impressive power. A 372xp with a 20" inch bar nice saw and power not too heavy. A Stihl MS440 with a 20" bar the Husky 372xp seemed to rev a little faster and seemed to me a bit smoother than the MS440. But the MS440 seemed more torque. Last saw I tried was a Stihl MS660 with a 24" bar...great torque and I liked the way it felt in my hands. All saws had full chisel chains. We were cutting 18" oak amd maple supported on racks. I know a 70cc saw would have been perfect, but all the guys said whatever saw size you think you need move up one or two sizes. I chose Stihl because of dealer support in area. Husky are less money, and I feel a great saw. Either one will do a great job. Like I said I am no pro, so I am sure the pro's all have their favorite brands. Blano I run Mobil mx2t in all my 2 stroke equiptment. What ratio would you run in a new Stihl MS660? 40 to1? 32 to 1? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back