Random question

Status
Not open for further replies.
In US we measure distance in miles, speed in mph, and fuel efficiency in mileage. In Canada they measure distance in kilometers and speed in km/h. Do they measure fuel efficiency in kilometerage? I have never heard a Canadian (or anyone else) use this term.

We measure our mileage in Liters per 100km. Sometimes less commonly as Kilometers per liter.

20mpg = 14.1L/100km (1km / 0.141L)

Last edited:
I've always seen Canadian mpg listed as L/100km. I think Japan uses km/L though.

Fun fact: the US EPA fuel economy site fueleconomy.gov lets you switch between mpg, L/100km, and even gallons per 100 miles.

The units of measurement are basically flipped between the countries.

L/100km = How much of my resource is consumed to go a specific distance?

MPG = How many distances can I travel for a known quantity of my resource? (Imagine if the US switched to Gallons per 60 Miles?)

I think Canada copied the europeans where it is L/100Km probably because it was already there and it's the standard in all countries using the metric system as far as I know.

We used to be Imperial with MPG / MPH etc. and then changed in the 1960's over to metric. Although officially we should measure our tires in KPA we still use PSI. We also use Fahrenheit for temperatures in most things. Especially in the restaurant industry. It has lead to a lot of us having to learn both systems. So we can trade with the U.S. and so that we can follow what our official measurement standard is in our country and the rest of the world.

Examples:

Converting pounds to kilograms = 1lb divided by 2.2025 = 0.4540kg (Your local weed dealer is familiar with this. hahahahaha)
grin2.gif

To convert temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit to Celsius, subtract 32 and multiply by .5556
Except for -40C and -40F which are the same.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
We used to be Imperial with MPG / MPH etc. and then changed in the 1960's over to metric. Although officially we should measure our tires in KPA we still use PSI. We also use Fahrenheit for temperatures in most things. Especially in the restaurant industry. It has lead to a lot of us having to learn both systems. So we can trade with the U.S. and so that we can follow what our official measurement standard is in our country and the rest of the world.

Examples:

Converting pounds to kilograms = 1lb divided by 2.2025 = 0.4540kg (Your local weed dealer is familiar with this. hahahahaha)
grin2.gif

To convert temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit to Celsius, subtract 32 and multiply by .5556
Except for -40C and -40F which are the same.

Or you can use a conversion app on a smartphone. I use one called Amount and it comes in handy for all kinds of conversion questions.

I have most of this memorized from using it so frequently. Then there is Google which does it right in the search engine and I have that on my phone / PC / Tablet and I can ask the Google Homes I have throughout the house on the fly.

Originally Posted by csandste
So U.S. --higher numbers better. Canada-- lower numbers better.

exactly.

it took my brain a minute to figure that out when i was in Ontario in may, and switched my dash readouts from imperial to metric
cruising up the 401 @100kph(~62mph), look down at the avg fuel econ readout:

avg 7.5 MPG?????WHAT!!!, oh, 7.5L/100k(31mpg)... phew...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
... Converting pounds to kilograms = 1lb divided by 2.2025 = 0.4540kg ...
That's not accurate to that many significant figures. A pound by definition is exactly 453.59237 grams. Therefore, one kilogram is about 2.2046 pounds.

Does anyone else think it's goofy that tire size designations are still a mongrel mix of a rim diameter in inches, and width in millimeters? Bike tire sizing is wacky too, for convoluted historical reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back