Marine engine oil vs automotive and diesel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go to the dock where the charter boats are. The guys who either live or die entirely on the basis of their boat going out or not. Talk to the guys with high hour outboards.

You're going to hear:

Rotella
Rotella
Rotella
Rotella
Rotella

Last edited:
I have a 115 HP Mercury 4 stroke and my fishing buddy had a 140 HP Suzuki 4 stroke. We both ran synthetic Oil (any brand) for years and never had any problems. We use a 0-30 or 5-30 without any problems at all. I have been doing this for over 5 years. From what I have read if you go wide open pulling skiers all the time a 0-40 or 5-40 would work a little better but I don't really think it makes much difference. It would take a long time to wear out an outboard 4 stroke motor especially if used only 5-6 months out of the year. There are lots of professional tournament fisherman that run synthetic oil in their engines. I currently have Castrol Magnatec 5-30 in my Mercury with a Fram Extra Guard filter. Going to put the ultra on it next time around. A lot of the marine engines have the same parts but are labeled a different name such as Mercury, Nissan, Tohatsu, Evinrude, Mariner….they all share a lot of parts but are not exactly identical. The smaller engines 40 HP 4 stroke and under share tons of similar parts. You have to pay way too much for Suzuki Outboard oil to make it worthwhile.

now volvo penta is not a suzuki four stroke but volvo too consolidated and now offer one oil for all diesel and gas inboards: A VDS 15w40 diesel rated oil.
I run volvo penta VDS OR mobil delvac mx 15w40 in the volvo penta v8. Strange enough sometimes the volvo penta oil is cheaper... So I agree on the Rotella or Delvac recommendation. Im not sure if i would care about tcw3 in a four stroke, is it about the foaming? I understand the eco and ashless two stroke tcw3 but in a four stroke... naah

Originally Posted by Jack2468
I was wondering if regular automotive engine oil, or diesel/heavy duty engine oil would work in a marine application.

The engine in question is a Suzuki DF140. The Suzuki oil is really expensive (like $9/quart for the old stuff and about $10 or $11 a quart for the new Ecstar stuff local to me), which seems expensive, especially for a 10W-40 synthetic blend. Not only is it expensive, the Suzuki dealer is pretty far from where I am located and inconvenient unless I need anything major done.

Would a quality SN rated automotive oil be ok to use? Preferably Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum or similar since Walmart sells them by the 5 quarts reasonably cheap and they are a quality full synthetic that perform very well in automotive applications.

Otherwise, would a diesel/HDEO like Rotella be better? I think they are designed to stand up in tougher/hotter conditions.

The last option is to just stick with OEM stuff, which is expensive and hard to find, but I'll use it if it truly is just the better option to stick with OEM marine oil in this application. If this is the best option, where can I find the Ecstar oil to order online for a fair price?

These suzuki engines appear to bee very similar to an automotive design, and are water cooled 4 cycle engines, just as cars are, so I would assume regular, quality automotive oil would be fine to use, am I correct or not?

Your owners manual tells you which oil to choose and I would listen to them over anything in a forum, which is the following - Should be easy to find, most likely in a motorcycle oil for that API. Not going to be much cheaper, I would choose Valvoline 4 stroke synthetic oil or conventional. Look around and you will find something.

"API: SE, SF, SG, SH, SJ(50 g)SAE: 10W-40"

Last edited:
https://www.nmma.org/assets/cabinets/Cabinet456/FC-W%20Combined%20Certification%20Procedure%20Manual%20(3%2016)%201.pdf

Heres the additional specs that they need to pass.

I'd wait until properly specced oil comes in at a good price (picked up some Valvoline 10W-40 for $10 for 4 litres recently...no boat but if relos come around with no oil in their engine again, I've got something.

The small sump in outboards would almost demand synthetic oil
auto or marine. While diesel oil would work fine, it is on the thick side
and outboards don't run as hot as auto/truck engines.

Keep that in mind when checking oil.

My 2¢

Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
Go to the dock where the charter boats are. The guys who either live or die entirely on the basis of their boat going out or not. Talk to the guys with high hour outboards.

You're going to hear:

Rotella
Rotella
Rotella
Rotella
Rotella

Or, Quicksilver 25W-40 - one of the best marine lubes out there. I think it can be ordered from Walmart. It is one of the toughest multi-vis oils made - period. Marine lube par excellence
smile.gif

Quicksilver

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back