I didn't realize it had been so long since I changed the oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wtd

I have a 1970 Monte Carlo that mostly sits since it's stored in a different place than where I currently live. I had to get the tags renewed the other day so I had to get it out to get inspected.

I thought it had only been about three years since I had changed the oil but when I looked at the maintenance log for the car, it had been 7 years since I had last changed the oil and the oil change only had 500 miles on it. The oil still looked pretty new. I definitely need to do better than that in the future.

I changed the oil with some Castrol 10W-40 and added a zinc additive and have been driving the car all week.

Have any of you ever been that absent minded on changing the oil on a vehicle that doesn't get driven that much?

The oil may have picked up some condensation,that would have boiled off when the engine got warm. I've read here that oil sitting in storage doesn't wear out. Miles wear out oil, time doesn't. That being said , I would have changed the oil.
grin2.gif

I haven't but I know people who have.

12 oz. of oil drained from an '83 Buick Regal once (they hold more).
Dipstick rusted into its tube such that the handle simply pulled away from the '94 Plymouth's engine.

I didn't figure the engine would be hurt because the oil looked normal on the dipstick before I started it and it runs fine. I'm pretty anal about maintenance and just couldn't believe that it had been so long. I guess out of site, out of mind.

I need to drive this car more anyway, especially since I'm retired. I've had it for over 31 years so it's a part of the family.

Time is a human construct. Oil doesn't know. I agree about condensation.

Vehicles are mechanical machines meant to serve our needs. Treat it as you wish.

Charlie kept a small '46 Ford F5? dump truck to run around his 52 acres as he developed. it. In the 10 yrs he used it I don't remember him ever changing the oil in it. The truck got maybe 100 miles a yr put on it.

Originally Posted by wtd
The oil still looked pretty new. I definitely need to do better than that in the future.

Well, you could go for 10 years. Nice round number.

Originally Posted by dishdude
Wow is that sweet!
20.gif

Thanks. It needs a little body work and paint again but it's a fun ride.

I like the vehicle in your signature. I would love to have a Challenger Scat Pack or SRT.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Those early Montes were beautiful.

I really like them and have owned a few of them. This is the only one I've kept and had the longest.

By a vote of XXXXXXXX to 0, you are hereby notified that you are no longer welcome on this website. And the vehicle has probably filed for a divorce too.

Nice car.A kid in my public high school (early 80's)had one that was the medium green metallic with a black vinyl roof.It was a nice change of pace from the mustangs and camaro's that populated the parking lot.I don't know what happened to the car.Probably sold for legal fees.On graduation night him and his brother crashed a party at the local lake that was being thrown by the graduating class of the local private school.One of the brothers took off his cowboy boots to hang his feet off the dock and try and chat up one of the girls.They got ran off by the private school guys sans boots.They returned later that night with a shotgun to reclaim the boots.Loss of life ensued,and the brothers had a looong time to think about how they should have done things differently.A [censored] shame ,a lesson about youthful pride,drinking and idiocy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back