180k and it didn't need a service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife bought her Tahoe new back in 04. I met her when it had 80 k on it. I did a cooler line flush around 90k. I used Dex6. Today I did a trans service today with a new filter.

There was absolutely nothing in the pan! I expected to find lots of stuff. Even the magnet was very clean. This truck has the problematic 4L60 trans too.

Guess I wasted my morning doing something that didn't need to be done! Sorry about the fuzzy pic

IMG_20180915_102329.jpg

You didn't waste your time though.. because you wouldn't know if you didn't do it.. right?
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Chris142
180k and it didn't need a service

I wouldn't consider it a waste. The fluid still needed to be replaced after 90k whether it had wear particles in the pan or not. You should be able sleep well tonight.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Originally Posted by Chris142
180k and it didn't need a service

I wouldn't consider it a waste. The fluid still needed to be replaced after 90k whether it had wear particles in the pan or not. You should be able sleep well tonight.

I also installed a drain plug. Now I can drain and fill 5 qts occasionally. I will drain it again soon.

I keep hearing how problematic the 4L60 is, but that hasn't been my experience. We have a bunch in fleet duty at work and they hold up.

Not a waste! Even if the pan was spotlessly clean, the fluid has been heat cycled many, many times. Of course the goal is to do PM BEFORE you see issues like metals in the pan. Thats what you did here.

There is no question that micro particulates build up in the fluid, moisture contaminates it, and there is some shear. While it may look perfect, I'd bet a UOA would turn up some interesting results.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
Not a waste!

Definitely not. The fluid does wear out and shifting can get more sluggish. I've seen night and day differences in behavior, including in 4L60E applications, from fluid changes.

The early years of that tranny were more problematic. After supposedly 2001/2-ish, a noticeably more reliable unit. This is not at all uncommon with transmissions when introduced. I would always rather have the last my of an old design rather than the first few of a new design - GM, Aisin, doesn't matter who.

Originally Posted by RamFan
What I would do to have a lift at the house...

My brother in Boiling Springs PA has a lift in his garage. Rotary Lift that's 4 years old, 2post and cost him $1,500

Originally Posted by dishdude
I keep hearing how problematic the 4L60 is, but that hasn't been my experience. We have a bunch in fleet duty at work and they hold up.

Same here, My 01 Suburban K1500 has 280K on factory fill. Still pulls the 5000# camper fine.

I have 3 vehicles with the 4L60E, one has almost 270K, another 185K, and one at just over 90K. Never an issue with any of them - I think most of the failures are due to abuse, neglect or both.

Originally Posted by 379KITTY
I have 3 vehicles with the 4L60E, one has almost 270K, another 185K, and one at just over 90K. Never an issue with any of them - I think most of the failures are due to abuse, neglect or both.

This one was neglected for sure.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Preventative maintenance imo is never a waste.
I over maintained my wifes 2002 powerstroke like I was keeping it forever and my Wife bought a new truck and I could have minimally maintained it and still sold it for the same amount. Yeah some one would join BITOG and post I bought a 2002 Powerstroke with the engine all sludged up, how can I clean it up. But no some guy will buy the truck that I did a 1000 mine initial oil change on the drive line and transmission then every 30,000 miles and an initial 250 mile oil and filter change on the engine and didn't go over 5.000 miles per oil and filter change, I even flushed out the power steering system 3 times and say boy did I get a deal .I changed the trans and differential oils 2 months ago ! I am a caboose ! Even worse I put a pyrometer in it and instructed my wife to down shift if it gets close to 1200* and let it cool down to under 400*f. I am so upset at myself.

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Preventative maintenance imo is never a waste.
I over maintained my wifes 2002 powerstroke like I was keeping it forever and my Wife bought a new truck and I could have minimally maintained it and still sold it for the same amount. Yeah some one would join BITOG and post I bought a 2002 Powerstroke with the engine all sludged up, how can I clean it up. But no some guy will buy the truck that I did a 1000 mine initial oil change on the drive line and transmission then every 30,000 miles and an initial 250 mile oil and filter change on the engine and didn't go over 5.000 miles per oil and filter change, I even flushed out the power steering system 3 times and say boy did I get a deal .I changed the trans and differential oils 2 months ago ! I am a caboose ! Even worse I put a pyrometer in it and instructed my wife to down shift if it gets close to 1200* and let it cool down to under 400*f. I am so upset at myself.

I really want your truck now looooool

It has good rubber as well ! In 2016 the brake booster was leaking so I bought a new Motorcraft one and all the high pressure hoses in the power steering and brake booster system...Next year I was going to change the coolant as every 3 years I did a radiator and block drain and refill .The block has a drain plug on each bank of the engine.. I was going to change the radiator hoses and heater hoses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back