Older Craftsman Foote Manual Transaxle lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I inherited an older Craftsman (MTD looking) lawntractor for free the other day. Its a 11 HP briggs model with a 36" deck and a 4 speed manual transaxle. After maybe 3 years of year round outside storage, the transaxle would not shift out of 3rd gear, so I pulled it out and tore it apart to discover that the shift selector "peg" had broken off due to the shifting mechanism being very stiff from the lubricant completely congealing into a solid mass.

I can make a new "peg" that should work, but I have no clue what type of lube to put in the transaxle. Craftsman doesn't know, and Foote is long out of business. So, I'm guessing its supposed to have some sort of grease in it, since it doesn't have fill or drain plugs and the axles seals are crappy rope seals. Not to mention the congealed crap in it doesn't smell like gear oil...so I'm thinking #1 grease, and if I can't find it locally tommorow, just bulk #2 Valvoline Semi-Synthetic, which I have in abundance.

Is this an OK idea? How much grease? ?just pack the bottom case half full and reassemble?

I found an old (1989) owners manual for a Wizard lawn tractor on the B&S web site. It was a free download.

Sometimes old owners manuals can be found on Ebay for just a few bucks.

Google groups can turn up otherwise obscure information like this too.

it should take gear lube, if it had a leak, over 3 years it would leak out and leave what else behind. does it have a vent cap?

There is no vent cap, and for that matter, no fill and drain plugs. Gear lube seems to have a pretty persistant sulfur smell usually, so I doubt that the box had regular GL-4/5 80W90 lube in it.

The box is horizontally split, so it can't really "leak" out, and the bottom case is probably at half full of pasty brown crap. So...I'm still thinking grease.

well some come sealed from the factory, no fill or drain... thats why small engine shops drill one in em.... i've seen em sludged up at the bottom, and this was in a peerless. ask a old small engine shop if you have one around, they may know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back