Frame style wipers better than beam style?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my '17 Ford Edge for 14 months now and I have yet have to replace the wipers. They come with the ugly frame style blades, but they've lasted at least twice as long as the most expensive beam style ones.

Did I get lucky and get fluke blades that still work as well as when I got the vehicle, or is that normal for OEM wipers that are the old-school style?

Also, are there beam blade wipers that would last over a year like my OEMs? Asking because getting to the dealer is a pain compared to the local Advance/Auto stores

Note: I use my wipers daily, with fluid of course, to wipe the dust off the windshield as I live in dusty west Texas. So to get that much mileage out of them is impressive.

I get about the same life out of both, but here in the North country you notice the difference when it snows. The traditional style will clog up with slush and snow and pretty much be useless.

For the Toyota and VW I find the OEM wipers from the dealer holdup the longest. The Bosch beam type seem to hold up almost as well, used them on the company trucks all the time.

Last edited:
The best wipers I've ever used around here in the rain are the cheap generic frame style Trico Rainguard wipers that cost me about $1.60 each lol. They outlast expensive Bosch icons! Now, if you go to the snow you want beam style blades - again, I'd suggest Trico, because the Bosch blades just don't last. I suspect wipers would last longer in colder, rainy places vs here in California where it's more sun than rain, though.

Depends on what you mean by "lasted". I find that many replace blades that are still good just dirty. If the rubber is not broken you can clean wipers with rubbing alcohol and makes them work again.

I have the Goodyear hybrid from costco on my truck that are going on 2 years old now and still work. 1 has a small tear/cut in the middle so I will move it to the passenger side as its very small. Other than that they still work great. I clean them every month or 2 along with my windshield.

Since the OEM's have worked so well, just stick with them. See if you can order Motocraft refills online.

I'm going into my third winter with some Trico Neoform blades on my Sierra. My Lucerne I'm planning on using the Trico exact fit when it needs new ones, they seem to get good reviews but I'm fairly sure it has OE on it now and they work great. It was raining the day I bought it so I'm sure the Buick dealer put new ones on.

Not sure I would ever go back to the old frame style.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jimzz
Depends on what you mean by "lasted". I find that many replace blades that are still good just dirty. If the rubber is not broken you can clean wipers with rubbing alcohol and makes them work again.

I have the Goodyear hybrid from costco on my truck that are going on 2 years old now and still work. 1 has a small tear/cut in the middle so I will move it to the passenger side as its very small. Other than that they still work great. I clean them every month or 2 along with my windshield.

I second the Goodyear hybrid, I've had one vehicle where I wasn't impressed with them (didn't stay on the glass well) aside from that experience they've been great for me.

I'd also recommend Rain-X Fusion blades.

For me, yes. I get 6-8 months out of a set of $2 blades from Home Depot and before I was buying every different kind of frameless blade and never getting more than 3 months before they became unusable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back