Low rolling resistance grease for wheelchair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take care of a fellow in a wheelchair for a living. Today I brought my tools to work to fix some things around his house. While I was at it, he asked for me to tighten up his brakes for him.
While I was working on that, he asked if I could help him make his wheelchair faster for the special olympics in a couple months. I told him we could drop in a turbo, do a cam swap, and port and polish his head. After he finished giggling, I told him I'd pop the wheels off to give the bearings a good greasing.
Now I've got about a half dozen tubes of lithium grease laying around; I was wondering what grease would be best at providing low rolling resistance? Any other 'suped up wheelchair' suggestions would be awesome. He's a nice dude that likes helping out where he can, and he loves when I bring my tools in so he can mess with them and what not.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Id start by looking at bicycle hub greases.

Yep, that's what we used to use on my sister's chair...the very light greases that only just seem capable of suspending themselves at room temperature.

I too was going to say bicycle grease. A popular grease for bicycles is Super Lube. You can buy a small tube from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
I too was going to say bicycle grease. A popular grease for bicycles is Super Lube. You can buy a small tube from Amazon.

I'll have to pick some up for him. I never knew bicycles had a specific grease for them! I'd always just used what I had on hand.
I've been using the lithium grease on the wheels for a gurney and it seems to do quite well there... maybe we'll have a gurney race...

Phil wood is where I would start for bike greaseS. If you really want a low resistance grease look at finish line xtreme fluoro. It's pricey but it's a krytox derivative and VERY light and slick.

I assume it's a roller bearing design. I would think anybody using a wheelchair would have a hard time detecting drag among the different greases. Most important is to keep the bearings clean and lubricated, with proper preload.

I also suspect the bearings use shields instead of seals. If the user does indeed detect some drag, some dust and lint may have worked its way in there over time and it needs a good cleaning. Splitting hairs over the type of grease to use is a hollow effort.

Well, now I don't agree with that. If you pack one wheel with triflow synthetic grease and the other with the finishline extreme fluoro you will definitely notice the difference. But of course, that it taking about the thickest grease and thinnest grease in that category for comparison. I used the Triflow grease in a bike wheel bearing- once. Great grease, just too sticky and thick for wheel bearings IMHO.

You're talking the "main wheels", right? What do the front, swivel wheels use?

They're smaller in diameter and spin much faster, so I think more gains would be realized there.

I'd think that clean, properly (to maybe very slightly on loose side) adjusted and a bit of oil would yield the lowest resistance. Not necessarily the longest lived though.

Finish Line Ceramic Grease
Finish Line's Ceramic Grease is the bicycle industry's newest and most advanced bearing lubrication technology. Ceramically "reinforced" Teflon prevents surface-to-surface contact and scuffing while providing unmatched low-friction lubrication under boundary conditions.

Formulated with sub-micron ceramic particles, Teflon fluoropolymer and premium non-toxic synthetic oils
Guaranteed to optimize the performance and efficiency of bottom brackets, hubs and headset bearings
As bearings become coated with Teflon and ceramic particles, friction and heat is dissipated
Increases durability and improves extreme pressure, load carrying and anti-wear properties for energy savings, smoother operation, extended life and reduced maintenance costs
Bearings last longer and run quieter and smoother
Prevents rusting even when exposed to salt water
Excellent on stems, posts, cables and threaded assemblies

Slickoleum grease is specifically designed for suspension parts. However as a long time bicycle enthusiast (including eight years as a bicycle mechanic) I have used it in Shimano loose ball bearing hubs with great success. By far the lowest drag grease I have ever used without the downsides of getting easily washed out. I have run hubs for a year with this grease in them (in good weather, not mud and extended rain periods) and found no damage to bearings and races.

For the low loads a wheelchair sees, Slickoleum would work fantastic.
http://www.slickoleum.com/index.html

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I assume it's a roller bearing design. I would think anybody using a wheelchair would have a hard time detecting drag among the different greases. Most important is to keep the bearings clean and lubricated, with proper preload.

I also suspect the bearings use shields instead of seals. If the user does indeed detect some drag, some dust and lint may have worked its way in there over time and it needs a good cleaning. Splitting hairs over the type of grease to use is a hollow effort.

Pretty sure they're rollers, I haven't looked but I've seen them on other chairs. His chair does get pretty dirty, I try to give it a good wipe down every week but I haven't looked at what's in the bearings.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You're talking the "main wheels", right? What do the front, swivel wheels use?

They're smaller in diameter and spin much faster, so I think more gains would be realized there.

Yeah I was thinking focusing on the wheels he'll be spinning with his hands; at the very least the front wheels could use a good cleaning.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
I'd think that clean, properly (to maybe very slightly on loose side) adjusted and a bit of oil would yield the lowest resistance. Not necessarily the longest lived though.

We'll do some 'dyno tests' to see what he prefers the most but I'd imagine just having them cleaned would make a big difference. If I have a spare few minutes today.. which is unlikely.. I'll clean them and try out the lithium grease I have on hand.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
Slickoleum grease is specifically designed for suspension parts. However as a long time bicycle enthusiast (including eight years as a bicycle mechanic) I have used it in Shimano loose ball bearing hubs with great success. By far the lowest drag grease I have ever used without the downsides of getting easily washed out. I have run hubs for a year with this grease in them (in good weather, not mud and extended rain periods) and found no damage to bearings and races.

Do you know any dealers in the Portland area? He's got extra cash each month and he likes getting out to shop for stuff. I'd imagine he'd get a kick out of getting the grease for himself instead of me just making it magically appear when I come to work
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slowdime
Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer

Do you know any dealers in the Portland area? He's got extra cash each month and he likes getting out to shop for stuff. I'd imagine he'd get a kick out of getting the grease for himself instead of me just making it magically appear when I come to work
smile.gif

Sold in many bike shops under the "Slick Honey" brand, but can also be ordered online.

Originally Posted by Kestas

https://elderlychairguide.com/best-wheelchair-reviews/
what is the procedure to clean a wheel chair??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back