Sunroof drains

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2017 Taurus has a sunroof. Bone head me left the thing tilted open last night and we had some decent rain here in Buffalo.

Nothing inside got wet and I don't hear any water splashing around. I took a towel to some of the plastic headboard inside of the car near the sunroof and got a few drops picked up.

Are sunroof drains that good or is there anywhere else I might find water?

Thanks.

Factory Sunroofs that open are designed to allow for leakage when closed and carry the water away in the "moat" which has drain tubes (front/rear/or both). The moat can only take so much water.

My first problem with wife's 2018 Tiguan 4 months old /10k miles was leaking water thru the backseat seatbelts after heavy rain. It turned somehow my sunroof rear drains had clogged either by fluke, debris, or possibly grease from factory and moat overfilled on incline to back spilling thru the seatbelts. Crazily VW does not cover this but the dealer I purchased from goodwill repair.

Last edited:
Drains on sunroofs are surprising good, though you also got lucky with wind direction and which way the rain came down.

Check the surround moat every couple months for debris and you shouldn't have a problem. That's what I do for my sunroof and it hasn't leaked ever to my knowledge.

You should have 4 drains, 2 in front and 2 in back. Yes they do work pretty good. A sunroof is just an engineered leak. Water always gets past the main seal.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
You should have 4 drains, 2 in front and 2 in back. Yes they do work pretty good. A sunroof is just an engineered leak. Water always gets past the main seal.

Never has in either of the cars in my signature.

I had a leak this year in my 2013 Altima that I thought was coming from the sunroof.

After weeks of dealing with seemingly random and hard to track leaks, using wire and compressed air to clear the sunroof drains, II finally resorted to a garden hose and found the leak.

My problem was the factory incorrectly installed the windshield at the front of the roof, which caused a pinhole to leak water into the cabin during heavy rains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back