Push button start, reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Im planning to get a new car soon, a lot of new models have push button start.

Im not sure how reliable that can be? When the battery goes out in the remote, there is a key in the actual remote, but how do u start the car if the battery goes dead?

I dont know if I should stick to a lower trim model with an actual mecanical key.

received_719722241719063.jpeg

Last edited:
IDK how reliable they are but, I'm not hearing issues with them nor am I having any trouble with mine. However, the car manufactures fixed something that never needed fixing!
frown.gif

There's also a RFID chip in the key that doesn't need batteries, if remote batteries are dead, then just keep the key in close proximity to the Start button, wait for some LED to turn on to indicate that the car recognized the key, then push the Start button.

First, most of the systems I am familiar with, and we have Nissan, Toyota and Mazda right now in our home, have some means of unlocking the car and starting without the key.

My Mazda has a traditional key one can insert in the traditional key location, not to turn, but to tell the system there is a key in place. The Nissan has a place where you can plug in the IntellKey to start the car. I believe the Toyota has similar.

All of them will warn that the battery is getting low. If you replace it then, you'll not have issues.

even the traditional key systems i've known pretty much work the same as a PB start. The key doesn't actually control the starter, rather, it tells the ECU to start the car and it starts and releases the starter motor. go for it and enjoy the convenience.

My 1952 Chevy DeLuxe has push button start. Seems to be reliable enough, considering it is a 66 year old system.

On our Mazda, if the fob key gets low you hold the fob close to the button. Long before that the green light on the button will flash amber if the battery is starting to get low.

I prefer it to a key now.

Not an issue on any of my cars that have had it. Lots of fail safes too, including if your battery dies. Currently, my 2017 Elantra has 28k miles and has not had any push button start issues (or any issues, really).

Only negative I've read is the occasional person who wanders into their house forgetting to turn the engine off. Carbon monoxide poisoning from the garage. Do some cars have redundancy's keeping this from happening?

Originally Posted by csandste
Only negative I've read is the occasional person who wanders into their house forgetting to turn the engine off. Carbon monoxide poisoning from the garage. Do some cars have redundancy's keeping this from happening?

Unless you're deaf, most cars have an annoyingly loud ring sound when the key leaves the car with the engine still running. It's hard to miss.

I've had it on two Nissans. Put 80K on the first, with only issues being a couple of times that the engine "hiccuped" while starting and ended up flooding it. Interestingly, the "old" method of starting a flooded car worked - holding gas pedal to floor while holding the starter button down. Replaced several FOB batteries over the 6 years with no issues.

Newer one, 48K with never any issues.

Regarding dead smart key battery:
1. For unlocking the car door, there is an actual metal key embedded in the smart key
2. To start the car, hold the smart key up to the start button, then start the car
3. The smart key uses a common CR2032 button battery, and is very easy to replace

One hazard I discovered.... Wife and I out for a day of shopping. I stopped to shop, engine running, and sent her off in the car.

Key still in my pocket! First store she stopped at she got a restart (you do get one). Her next stop?..NADA. I had to hitch a ride to save my stranded wife. That doesn't happen with a key in the ignition.

Dead fob (not replaceable battery) on my Mini will not allow the car to start. The pullout key will only unlock the doors. The fob is recharged while in the ignition so after one expensive replacement I now rotate the 2 keys to keep them charged. I also keep the second key hidden inside the Mini just in case.

10 year old Infiniti M35 bought new, no problems. The battery in the remote AFAIK is only for the doors, trunk, panic on the remote on this car, I may be wrong, I haven't investigated much.

No real trouble with mine so far. The biggest drawback is that if you lose your magic fob, replacing it is very expensive and/or complicated.

The fob is too large to carry on a ring with other keys. As a result, I sometimes forget to pick up the fob on my way out and try to leave without it. Then the car calls me a dummy with "Key not detected."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back