B&S dipstick vs fill capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, i have a pretty new 6.5hp b&S engine. i drain the oil out of the bottom fill plug for a good 10 minutes. it has drained pretty good.

the dipstick says 20oz. so i add 18oz, let it sit and check the level (it is above full) i drain out about 2 oz, for 16oz of fill total. it now reads just above full.

Question is? which would you trust? the dipstick or the stated capacity? 4oz short is almost 20% of the fill capacity on this thing

Is the dipstick supposed to be read with the cap screwed all the way in (most I assume are like this), or just sittin on the top of the opening (my Honda 5 hp engine says this)?

i am taking the reading with the cap/dipstick all the way in

i did not see anything that said specifically either way

ill double check the manual

Briggs didn't change the height of the lower casting when they went to the dipstick and plastic fill tube. They just quit cutting threads in the casting for the old pipe plug. Correct oil level is to the top of the lower casting fill hole.

You can tell where that is by holding the dipstick beside the plastic filler tube and see how it lines up with the top of the engine casting.

I think you'll find it should be screwed all the way in...

well it is a plastic cap/dipstick thing that "screws" in with half a twist of the cap

i checked the manual and it said check with the dipstick all the way in, (did not say screwed in tho)

i will check to see how the dipstick lines up on the side

Briggs is not clear, even at The Briggs Website on the issue of inserting or screwing the dipstick down to the home position.

I've always pushed the dipstick down as far as it goes & checked the level at that point!
smile.gif

I do think its just seated but not screwed in. You may need to run it and then top it off. My old 10 year old Quamtem B&S would read full till I ran it and then was down about 2.5 OZ. DaveJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back