How to keep the inside of your vehicle clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No smoking. No eating. Vacuum monthly or more often. Knock the dirt etc off your shoes before you get in. Detail once and awhile.

I don't, I take it somewhere once and a while to be cleaned and detailed. I take care of the outside once to twice a week.

I work on the road and cover a lot of miles in a week so it's really tough. Especially with winter salt, and getting in/out of the car and tracking normal dirt into it.

Last edited:
Seat covers. Weathertech floor mats. Steering wheel cover,

I bought a bissell spot bot hand hald steam cleaner. Use clorox lysol household wet wipes to clean plastic trim and rub off dirt.

I use 303 aerospace protectant inside but any will do. Anything meguiars is good and locally available.

Originally Posted by CT8
That is what the wife or girl friend is for.

Lets hope you are joking.

Originally Posted by gregk24
Originally Posted by CT8

Originally Posted by CT8

Its what the mother-in-law is for!

And, some people are just tidier than others. I never could stand a messy car. End of day all trash comes out and necessary stuff is straightened up. When traveling every stop is a chance to eliminate trash. I don't endlessly detail, just keep the clutter out. Keep up with it and it's not hard to deal with. I know people who's car interior looks like an IED went off in a hoarder's house. Yuck.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
My car is embarrassing right now. But my Husky Liner floor mats, love them.

Went out and cleaned it now. Nice and clean inside.

It's too hot to do anything during the day.

All my cars look like new inside. Just keep them clean. You keep your house clean, don't you?

Originally Posted by AZjeff
End of day all trash comes out and necessary stuff is straightened up. When traveling every stop is a chance to eliminate trash. I don't endlessly detail, just keep the clutter out. Keep up with it and it's not hard to deal with.

This. It's not that hard, surely.

I have all-season rubber floor mats. No trash, sharp stuff (don't need scratched or gouged seat belts or seats), food or drink allowed in the car ever. Interior gets cleaned every month or so which consists of using an electric air blower to blow all of the dust out, vacuuming the crap on the floor mats and using quick interior detailer on all interior surfaces.

Seats also have seat protectors on them.

I have family members who treat their car like a dumpster, it's quite disgusting. By "dumpster" I mean one year old coffee cups sitting in the car, passenger side footwell filled with empty bottles. Apparently they haven't heard of an actual garbage can.

- Rubber floor mat(s) at least in the driver's seat. That's where 90% of the dirt in my car ends up accumulating. Clap your feet together and brush off pant legs after you sit but before you swing your legs inside, especially if you've been working in dusty / muddy conditions.

- Designate folders/pockets for receipts and other loose items you'll want to look over later.

- Keep bags or little bins for trash and recycle that you can just tie up and drop off at home when full

- Wipe down steering wheel, controls, dash area, and seats once a week with a damp microfiber cloth (dilute all purpose cleaner optional but recommended).

- Have a small notebook and pen/pencil instead of loose scratch paper.

A lot of it comes down to putting in small amounts of time here and there before the mess accumulates into a massive, hours long deep clean job that you don't want to deal with.

I sweep and clean interiors every week. My wife and daughter are terrible as both of their cars contain multiple water bottles, Starbucks cups and energy bar wrappers. My work van is spotless as whatever I take into it comes out at the end of the day.... I usually stop at speedway and get cigarettes and Gatorade every morning and take the plastic bag and put one handle over the gear selector and throw it away with the days accumulating trash.

Originally Posted by CT8

I take care of our cars; wife puts gas in 'em and that's about it.

One time I felt a bit miffed about taking all the trash out of hers, not from her but the kids, and all the dirt that was accumulating in it. So I offered to show her how to use the vacuum cleaner.

It was not well received.

IMO, a work vehicle is going to get chewed up over time. It will wear due to miles, use, age. Just the nature of life. So on one hand, it's never going to pristine. On the other, it justifies drilling holes and modifications to make life better. Need a bolted down clipboard holder, or a flat surface to write on? Install something. A few holes won't kill the vehicle--it's all the other wear over the years that kills the value.

I like my Husky floormats. A quick vac on the weekends takes hardly any time and goes a long ways. Carry in your stuff in the morning, and carry out in the evening, that way it never accumulates.

I had to take the running boards off my truck but I'm missing them. When I had them I would knock the dirt off my shoes on the boards while getting in. I think it cut down drastically on dirt being tracked in.

We don't allow food in our vehicles (I cheat on that rule when I'm by myself) and only water, usually in reusable water bottles that go back in the house. Any trash goes with us when we get out. I'm pretty picky when it comes to a clean car, my wife not so much, so I tend to do the lion's share of car cleaning. I do a semi-full detail every month or two which involves vacuuming, dusting/ interior protectant application and leather conditioner for the seats (if applicable). People that ride with us usually remark how clean the interior is with four kids, but I don't think it's that difficult at all- just get the kids in good habits.

When we buy a vehicle, it's usually an older one with 100k miles or more-- it's quite the challenge to find one without the interior half destroyed from kids. Stains, rips, broken trim, you name it. Or around here, there's lots of smoked-in cars which is a deal breaker for us.

Originally Posted by JLTD
No smoking. No eating. Vacuum monthly or more often. Knock the dirt etc off your shoes before you get in. Detail once and awhile.

^^^ This.
My wife used to work car line at her school ; she said many of the interiors looked like the inside of a dumpster...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back