Napa Gold Use it or return it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drove 25 miles round trip today to pick up a Napa Gold air filter. When the counter guy put the filter on the counter I looked it over because the box looked old.

I asked him if there was a date code on it and he said, "No". I took it out and saw "021415BH1 Made in Mexico" stamped on the edge of the filter.

When I showed that to him and asked what that was he assured me that it wasn't a date code because, "No way was that filter made in 2015".

When I got home I called Napa and found out that indeed it was the date code and they were surprised that they sold it to me and that the counter guy didn't know.

So, do I use it or return it?

See, being some little bit hot under the collar, I guess I was hoping you all would say, "RETURN IT"!
grin2.gif

But since you're going to be all logical and dispassionate about it, ok.

I'll use it.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback! :)

Larry

Last edited:
NAPA corporate was surprised that a franchisee sold a 3 year old filter? They don't rotate their stock you know....the only thing NAPA corporate does for a store owner is a "Classification" ("Class")....and that just removes overstocks and no sellers.Otherwise you cannot return overstocks to NAPA DCs at any other times.

Originally Posted by Zee09
Use it and then buy elsewhere next time.

lol. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 3 year old filter, nor being sold a 3 year old filter.

I have seen people who have driven around with an air filter on their engine for three years so I would not worry about a new in the carton for three years.

As long as there is no rust on the filter or the thread area, there's nothing at all wrong with it. The MicroGreens I got from Amazon last year were made in 2012... and several of them have performed just fine (car51 cut them open on here).

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
As long as there is no rust on the filter or the thread area, there's nothing at all wrong with it. The MicroGreens I got from Amazon last year were made in 2012... and several of them have performed just fine (car51 cut them open on here).

this is about an air filter
smile.gif

Sometimes the NOS is better than massed produced junk. As long as it isn't brittle, you will be fine. Use it with confidence.

@rubberchicken - Note that I said "Round Trip". Because it was the closest Napa shop and I wanted to try a Napa Gold Air filter.

@NHGUY - Yep, as I said, seemed surprised that it happened & that the counter guy wasn't date code aware. Otherwise they seemed uninterested.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

The kid probably didn't know about date codes. Just use it unless there's obvious tears in the media. My NAPA guy would know and tell me the one in stock is old so he'll get a newer one from the warehouse (he's done that for me many times).

I would use it as long as the seal is pliable and filter material looks good. Keep in mind that most people are driving around with filters that havent been changed in 3+ years!

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Why would you drive 25 miles for a oil filter ?

Read the above....IT'S AN AIR FILTER!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back