High Iron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: whicky1978
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: whicky1978
It was run 10k miles, Nissan Versa 14 stick shift.

OK. Silicon is a little high, but not scary high. Have you checked your intake plumbing and airbox for any leakage? That may be the source of dirt ingestion, which would lead to abrasive wear, which can then present as higher than expected iron.

I have not. Is that the cold air intale assembly? I do use a K&N air filter that stays clean.

The purpose of an air cleaner is to filter/clean the air before it enters the engine. If it is staying clean, it is not doing its job. Think about it.

Interestingly, only one person really addressed the OP's question. Everyone else was sidetracked. Even the OP was sidetracked as the thread progressed.

I believe the high silicone levels are from the M1 filter which has a silicon black ring that supposed to make the filter last 20,000 miles. Looking at other post over the years it seems like high iron is within the norm. probably because of the corrosion inhibitors in M1 oil.

Originally Posted by whicky1978
I believe the high silicone levels are from the M1 filter which has a silicon black ring that supposed to make the filter last 20,000 miles. Looking at other post over the years it seems like high iron is within the norm. probably because of the corrosion inhibitors in M1 oil.

Well first off, it is a high silicon level (not silicone) which you are postulating comes from a silicone black ring (not silicon).

But beyond that when you say "ring" are you referring to the filter gasket or the anti-drainback valve? Either way I have a hard time believing the silicone elastomer is so soluble in oil that you'd see it on a UOA. Silicone RTV is different in that it is uncured when applied but a gasket or ADB flap is a fully cured elastomer. Many oil filters have a silicone ADB valve and don't show elevated levels of silicon in a UOA.

If you are using a K&N air filter and it "stays clean" then that's your source of silicon in the UOA. Air filters should not stay clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back