Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting

Good controlled studies on the benefits of Intermittent fasting. (Complimentary to a fat based Keto diet)

Stevie, keep up the good work, but please unplug from all the keto pastors like Tom DeLauer, Dr. Berg, and Dr Fung. I know they can give some good info but realize that all 3 of them have a financial interest in you staying on keto and doing keto THEIR way. (Fung maybe not so much, but he does sell books relating to the concept)

It's so ridiculous how quickly ketosis.. a state of the body.. turned into a "diet system", and then all the profiteers swooped in to sell their version of it.

You have it down pat -- keep the carbs low or zero, eat more fat than protein, and maintain a calorie deficit. That's it. Let the body do the rest.

Once you hit your goal, see if you can enjoy bread or fruit on occasion -- our bodies are capable of metabolizing carbs so why not enjoy them once in a while. By then you'll have adapted a better idea of portion control and understand the impact that a slice of pie will have on your body. Best part is you'll be in shape and you'll be able to eat a more diverse diet.

I've seen too many keto people (myself included) develop a literal fear of carbs.. an almost crippling inability to eat a sandwich or a banana.. and this in itself is not healthy. It may be in line with the goals of staying in ketosis, but psychologically we shouldn't be afraid of food. Rather, we have to learn to see carbs as a treat and as a tool. Award yourself with a snack once in a while, but also realize that carbs can be a great way to power through tough workouts or intense activity -- the science even backs up the fact that we can metabolize carbs quicker than fat!

The way that keto is sold to most people nowadays makes it seem like getting kicked out of ketosis is the ultimate sin and that a muffin is going to make you put on all the weight you lost. It's easy to go back into ketosis and weight gain doesn't work like that..

Yeah I only used those folks at first to get into this, then dropped off from their channels until I had issues with plateaus then I thought I might use them again to see where I was going wrong. Now that I'm back loosing again I'm fine on my own.

Once all the weight is gone I will have no problem maintaining it. The weight gain I had over the years was my own poor eating choices and allowing myself to eat that way because it tasted better than a controlled diet with some fun on the side.

This by far even with the challenges along the way has been the easiest plan to stick to because I'm not hungry all the time like I was on typical calorie restriction where carbs were a part of the diet.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm glad this was widescreen format. This guy is huge.
lol.gif

He also sounds out of breath, I wouldn't be eating 6lbs of meat a day...
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Just an update. Down another 15lbs since. Stoked about the rest I have to loose.

If and when you choose to re-introduce carbohydrates into your diet, I'd suggest doing so slowly and to a lesser degree than you may have involved them before.

Congratulations on your progress!

For sure... It will be a slow transition of carbs once I'm at my ideal body weight. I have done much reading on hyper insulin sensitivity when coming off ultra low / no carb diets after long periods. It can actually create temporary high blood sugar situations as your body is no longer use to the influx of carbs because of the deficit for so long.

Especially because I was Type-2 before starting this eating plan.

My goal is to have a properly balanced diet after all is said and done and then I will just monitor my weight strictly and trim here/there to keep it there.

Last edited:
Update: The weight-loss continues however I noticed something really interesting. I had the weirdest craving for Pizza and nothing Keto would fix it so I thought, ok I'm going to have a little to get it out of my system and then resume the eating plan.

I had the pizza and with a few hours I started to feel like I was under the effects of alcohol and then started feeling really hot. I didn't sleep well that night and I swear my pulse was faster like I had too much caffeine. The following morning I woke up with a headache and felt mildly thirsty despite not feeling thirsty when I went to bed. (I typically drink a decent amount of liquid in the day).

Anyway I thought it was interesting that after having been on an ultra-low carb diet for so long this was the result of reintroducing carbs back into the diet all of a sudden.

I guess when I finally come off this I will have to reintroduce them slowly, although I will most likely stick to a lower carb diet than before because of how much better I feel on this.

Last edited:
so I thought, ok I'm going to have a little to get it out of my system and then resume the eating plan.

Next time you get that urge, post it here or somewhere else before you do anything so someone can talk you out of it! ;^)

When your body gets used to looking first to fat for energy and develops some efficiency and comfort doing so, dumping pizza into that temple is going to cause trouble.

If and when you choose to transition back to a "normal" consumer diet, re-integrate those carbs gradually with low glycemic whole foods; and try to skip ever re-introducing processed carbs and sugar.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Carbs aren't the enemy, well the processed carbs are, but a far greater enemy is sugar.

I wonder if your reaction would've been the same if you had cooked rice instead of pizza.

I'll try that after some time because the reaction to the Pizza wasn't fun.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
so I thought, ok I'm going to have a little to get it out of my system and then resume the eating plan.

Next time you get that urge, post it here or somewhere else before you do anything so someone can talk you out of it! ;^)

When your body gets used to looking first to fat for energy and develops some efficiency and comfort doing so, dumping pizza into that temple is going to cause trouble.

If and when you choose to transition back to a "normal" consumer diet, re-integrate those carbs gradually with low glycemic whole foods; and try to skip ever re-introducing processed carbs and sugar.

Yeah it was a weak moment. My Italian side muscled through what the temple wanted and well I paid for it. I told Fat Tony to get lost.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Carbs aren't the enemy, well the processed carbs are, but a far greater enemy is sugar.

I wonder if your reaction would've been the same if you had cooked rice instead of pizza.

I'll try that after some time because the reaction to the Pizza wasn't fun.

Stevie, don't do anything on my account, I was just wondering that's all. Keep doing what you're doing and once you feel it's time to re-introduce carbs, see what happens with whole food carbs first, instead of processed ones.

No I'm interested to see as well, maybe once I'm ready to transition back to some carbs I will just do the rice thing to see if it's the shock to my system or it was just the Pizza.

No I'm interested to see as well, maybe once I'm ready to transition back to some carbs I will just do the rice thing to see if it's the shock to my system or it was just the Pizza.

White rice ain't much better than any other processed carbs: It is carbohydrate calories devoid of any accompanying nutrition. Whatever you do with the re-introduction of carbs, please be mindful to begin with (and if my advice counts for anything, never stray from) whole foods; preferably at first those whose glycemic index is low.

Back