Yota Carbon or Regular?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling all Yota folks...

So my new ride lists a basic filter and a Carbon filter. What are your experiences with each?

Does the carbon restrict air flow and thus put more stress on the fan over time?

cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
Calling all Yota folks...

So my new ride lists a basic filter and a Carbon filter. What are your experiences with each?

Does the carbon restrict air flow and thus put more stress on the fan over time?

cheers3.gif

Steve I'm about to find out I just bought one and will be installing it on my next OCI the wife has serious asthma issues so I was looking to improve things in that department.

Less air you pump, the less strain on the fan as its doing less work.

may affect cooiling of the fan motor though.

Not paying $$$$ Toyota dolars for cabinfilters worth 3 bucks.

Take a med efficiency HOME HVAC filter and cut it to fit.

Make an adapter out of wood if need be.

More promising than that "yawn" birdhouse project.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Steve I'm about to find out I just bought one and will be installing it on my next OCI the wife has serious asthma issues so I was looking to improve things in that department.

Keep me posted. I have the onset of COPD and I live in a heavily polluted area (near steel mills) so this would be good info for me.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Here is a good site on Carbon air filters: https://molekule.com/blog/activated-carbon-air-filter/

Note:
Some filters claim to be activated carbon filters, but they use only a trace of carbon. These will not be effective because they become saturated almost immediately.

Check amazon...where filters are usually a lot less than at the stealerships.

Thanks for that...
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Less air you pump, the less strain on the fan as its doing less work.

may affect cooiling of the fan motor though.

Not paying $$$$ Toyota dolars for cabinfilters worth 3 bucks.

Take a med efficiency HOME HVAC filter and cut it to fit.

Make an adapter out of wood if need be.

More promising than that "yawn" birdhouse project.

I don't pay for me repairs my company does so that isn't a concern here... Just wanted to know long term what is better for the fan motor because that is a PITA repair that might happen after I give the vehicle to my dad sort of thing.

I put one in the 05 Matrix last year and noticed it made extra noise like it's being restricted or something. Had to double check that it was installed correctly. Don't really notice a reduction in air flow so just kept it in. Prob will go with a reg one next time. Thank you.

I change the cabin filter in my '02 Camry about once per year, and I use whatever reasonably reputable filter RockAuto has for it, typically TYCs, which are ea. I'm sure that I've used carbon filters, but I don't recall that they brought any enhanced degree of "freshness" to the airflow. I've concluded, however, that HVAC fans are a 90K wear-out part on a Camry---I've used Toyocera's lifetime warranty, and I'm on the third replacement fan motor (after the OEM crapped out @ 120K miles). Not bad for a $36 initial purchase price, and I've gotten pretty speedy in swapping them out.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Getting a little ahead of yourself ain't ya? This for the brand new Highlander?

I bought it in July and it has over 10,000km (6,000 miles) on it already.
grin2.gif

ooooh. That would be great for my breathing issues. Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

Edit: Looks like they don't have one that fits my vehicle. RATS!

Last edited:
I have a Mahle carbon filter in all the Toyotas I look after. They seem to work OK, they more more substantial than the OEM Denso filters. I've used the Fram one with success too.

Toyota tends to specify carbon filters on most Lexus models and the XLE/Limited trims of the common line.

Yeah my highlander fits the same filters as the RX-350 so I can use the Denso Carbon or regular.

I'll check out Mahle, thanks!

My findings were that the carbon impregnated filter reduced air flow a bit and did virtually nothing to remove the smells from diesel vehicles and skunks. Skunk odor is a pretty difficult test, I realize. I would stick with the closest thing to OEM as possible.

I wonder if you could sprinkle a little baking soda onto the intake side of the filter and that would do the same thing as the baking soda impregnated filters without the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back