Motomaster Formula 1 Synthetic 5W-30 new baseline

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently sent a virgin unused oil analysis for the Motomaster Formula 1 5W-30 synthetic oil
AGAT Labs Calgary

Corrected analysis results

Aluminum-------0
Chromium------0
Copper----------0
Iron---------------0
Tin----------------0
Lead-------------0
Silicon----------0
Molybdenum---178
Nickel------------0
Silver------------0
Potasium-------0
Sodium---------0
Boron----------81
Barium---------0
Calcium--------2170
Magnesium---5
Maganese-----0
Phosphorous--658
Zinc-------------1002
Visc 40 C------61.1
Visc 100 C----10.3
TAN-------------1.48
TBN-------------6.1

Incorrect original values:

Aluminum-------0
Chromium------0
Copper----------0
Iron---------------1
Tin----------------0
Lead-------------1
Silicon----------23
Molybdenum---0
Nickel------------0
Silver------------1
Potasium-------0
Sodium---------0
Boron----------56
Barium---------4
Calcium--------3
Magnesium---14
Maganese-----0
Phosphorous--227
Zinc-------------3
Visc 40 C------61.1
Visc 100 C----10.3
TAN-------------1.48
TBN-------------6.1

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by sir1900
Thanks for posting!

Is this the one made by CITGO?

TBN embarrassingly low for a Full Synthetic.

MSDS says shell, original MSDS from 2011 (original formulation date?)

Originally Posted by sir1900
TBN embarrassingly low for a Full Synthetic.

What is the TBN for an "entry level" full synthetic, e.g. PP or Mobil 1?

I've always wanted to try Motomaster Synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
These numbers can't be right.

thumbsup2.gif

If they are using ZDDP as an AW this is way low. And the silicon is a bout 5X what it shouild be.

Yep, we need some confirmation on this. This is not any oil I would run in anything.

Is SK South Korea? This might be a counterfeit product.

Edit: I see the op mentions Calgary so this is Saskatchewan. My goof.

Last edited:
How do I post a PDF file of the AGAT oil test?

I submitted sample straight from the oil jug.

Could Canadian Tire be purchasing fake oil, not from Shell Canada, but in its packaging?

Maybe something wrong with AGAT testing methods?

download agat oil1.jpg

download agat oil2.jpg

agat 3.jpg

So if the specs are not looking correct, what am I putting in my engine?

Is it at least a good conventional oil?

I already sent the AGAT labs report to Shell Canada.

AGAT done 3 tests on the same sample, & use an average of the 3. Maybe something wrong with their test equipment?

A lot of labs aren't properly calibrated as I found out from Terry. I sent him a sample, Blackstone, Wear Check, and Toromont-Cat and Blackstone was far out from Wear Check which was similar to Toromont-Cat but was still out. Terry's was identical to Wear Check.

Terry told me his lab he uses in Ohio recalibrates before any of his samples are processed and they use tighter specs with the equipment they have versus Blackstone. I don't remember what it is but there is two ways to do lab testing on oil samples and one is more expensive but a lot more accurate versus the other which is the one Blackstone uses.

Now I'm not cutting up Blackstone because they give you a really good idea with pretty good accuracy and their price is decent, but this is more to prove my point that the lab you used might be wildly out of calibration and not realize it although from those numbers it should be obvious to them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cdlamb
Is it at least a good conventional oil?

The most realistic possibilities are that the product in the jug isn't what was claimed, or the testing results were messed up with something else, or there are serious typos on their report, or their testing is totally out of calibration somewhere. If this testing is correct, no, it's not a good conventional oil, either. If the results are correct, this oil is not suitable for use. If the PQIA came across this in their testing, they'd be flagging it for sure.

So, we have no idea what happened. If it were me, I'd submit a sample from the same bottle to another lab, not to mention have the product retested by the people who did this. I'd also bring it up with Canadian Tire. It could be from Shell, but could be a Citgo product, too; even a Castrol one. Didn't the lab indicate that if this is motor oil, that something is wrong?

I would think about dumping this and getting something else in your vehicle. There are too many questions here and if it were me I would have dumped it yesterday.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I would think about dumping this and getting something else in your vehicle. There are too many questions here and if it were me I would have dumped it yesterday.

Agree 100%.

That is spooky no good.

well the good news is that i only used .700 of a liter to get the required 5.7 liters in the engine from this jug, & the bulk of the oil in my truck is from another jug purchased on a different date. Makes me wonder what I got. It was a new jug, that was opened on my first oil change. I pulled .700 liters from it last time to top off the engine, Used the full new jug, & took 700 ml out for this change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back