Cooper Discoverer True North

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been waiting for Labor Day weekend to pull the trigger on some new winter tires for my wife's 2015 Sienna LE FWD mini-van (Location Connecticut). The Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 that are on our winter wheels are to worn at this point to get us through another winter so, I am starting to search for Labor Day weekend deals. I see that BJ's has like $100 off between the discount on the tires and installation, but this is only on the Michelin's Ice X which are pricey to begin with.

Currently we run the Cooper CS5 Grand Touring during the spring/summer/fall so I thinking of giving these new Cooper True North tires a shot as they are about $25 a tire cheaper than the Bridgestone's & Michelin's which makes them a wash with the current avail promo's.

Since the True North tires are new I doubt anyone has any experience with these, but has anyone read anything positive or negative about these tires?

Or is there another tire that I should be considering?

I wouldn't be afraid to give them a shot. Looks like a modern winter tread design which is good for ice and snow.
Take advantage of the sale pricing while you can.

Is your size 236/60R17

1. Michelin Latitude x-ice xi2
2. Nokian Hakka R3
3. Bridgestone ws80
4 Uniroyal ice & snow 3
5. General AltiMAX Arctic 12
There's actually 2 new coopers
True North and Evolution winter

Last edited:
Don't know much about them, but I did Google pictures of them. They have a DOT plant code of RM, which indicates they are made at the Cooper Kenda plant in Kushan, China. This is not necessarily a bad thing.

I bought a new (last winter) model, sold in Canada as the Motomaster Winter Edge by Cooper. Product of some sort of exclusive agreement with Canadian Tire. Tread pattern is different than the Discoverer True North, but I wouldn't be surprised they have the same or a similar compound. These, if I remember correctly, are also made in the same plant (but definitely they were made in China).

I had two new sets of winter tires last year: Continental ExtremeWinterContact on my 2006 Sienna, and the Winter Edge on my 2018 Tiguan. I love both tires, but I think the Winter Edge is a better performer in winter conditions. My wife likes the Winter Edge, but she isn't fond of the Continentals. Maybe some if it has to do with the vehicle, but I don't think so. The differences I really notice are in taking low speed turns and in braking, where I think less of what the vehicle is comes into play than in acceleration or higher speed cornering.

FWIW, I hated Michelin X-Ice Xi3, but my wife liked them. I liked the General Altimax Artic as well as the Continental ExtremeWinterContact, but my wife didn't like those. The Winter Edge is one we both like - so I think this suggests it is good for a lot of different driving styles.

If you get great pricing on these, they might be worth taking a chance on. I did for the Winter Edge, and don't regret it one bit.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
The True North ranked #1 in Consumer Reports most recent testing and would be a good choice if it comes in your size.

How could the tire be ranked #1 if it does not come out on the market until October?

Originally Posted By: Oildudeny
Do you mount 4 snows or just 2 upfront?

Always install 4 snow tires. I tried two snows up front on my old jetta tdi and it would oversteer so easily. Unless your a stunt driver you should do all 4 without a second thought.

Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by jjjxlr8
The True North ranked #1 in Consumer Reports most recent testing and would be a good choice if it comes in your size.

How could the tire be ranked #1 if it does not come out on the market until October?

CR sometimes gets products before they are widely available.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I have ran/used Cooper winter tires now for quite a few years and they have always served me good. They last, are quiet and do great in the cr*p I have encountered over the years.
I am in the market for some for my son's Malibu but I am going to shop around first to check out the Generals and see if they are cheaper first?

Not jumping to conclusions, but I imagine I will be coming back to the Coopers once again.

Unrelated, but my Father purchased some all season Cooper road tires and he said they are one of the nicest tires he has ever run. He is 79 yrs old so he has ran a few over the years.

Ended up getting the Cooper True Norths for the Sienna. Once you factor in the $70 rebate they were cheaper than the Blizzaks and as others have pointed out consumer reports rated them higher. So far have only drove on them on dry and wet roads, they are quieter and smoother than the old Blizzaks that were on the car. Of course they are a little squishy compared to the all-seasons that just came off, but that is expected.

Will check back in once we have some snow!

always use 4 identical snow tyres on FWD's + if buying wheels consider downsizing since narrower tyres are BETTER in snow + it saves $$$$. match the OE outside diameter using a suitable smaller setup. my 01 jetta wolfsburg had 205-55-16 stock, but 225-45-17 + 195-65-15 were very similar, i used the 195-65-15 size used on base models for snow tyres that were cheaper + better, a win win deal! generally very high traction snow tyres are softer + wear faster, depends on how much you drive what will be the best value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back