Does your daily driver have rust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in northern NJ rust is a no charge option right from the dealer. When they use to use a mix of sand and crystal salt on the roads rust was slower at forming. Approximately 8-10 years ago they stated using a liquid salt brine on the roads before the snow, which many times didn't materialize. So we had wet roads with liquid supper corrosive salt. And even if it snowed the slush was brine soaked and it got into all the vehicle crevices also. Pick up trucks seem to be the most prone to severe rust early on. I had 3 that severely rusted within 8 years, all 3 bought new. Our 2005 Explorer developed severe rust/rot on the rear passenger fender and the passenger rocker panel is showing rust forming. However these seems to be common areas on this vintage Explorer. My 1996 Contour usually spends winter parked till spring in a semi-heated garage. It developed some paint bubbles on the lower front passenger wheel well fender. I'll take care of that shortly.

Whimsey

Only major rust is on the S10. There is a nice gaping hole in the rocker that I've got the replacement panel, just need to get off my hind end and get it put on. There's others spots, but mostly just surface rust. The leaf shackles are starting to look a little shady, only a matter of time before they snap. The Camry has some good surface rust going on unfortunately. This new liquid stuff they're putting on the roads is terrible. The GTI doesn't get driven in the winter much at all.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
2004 Toyota Corolla zero rust.

My '04 Corolla has a tiny bit of rust just in front of the rear wheel wells, but not bad at all for 350K miles driven in the snow belt...

Last edited:
The body panels on the 05 Matrix don't show any rust. I do see a bit inside the rear wheel wells esp in front of the tire where the pinch weld is. It does leave some rust stains on a cement driveway. Seems to be under the battery tray and/or right in front of the cat. converter where a muffler shop put in a new exhaust gasket. They prob used a cheap piece of metal since it's loud again. Just detailed the engine bay so that looks great as does the silver paint. Bright and shiny in the sun. Still needs a full detail that I'll do in a few weeks.

Treated the undercarriage of my Tundra with Corroseal rust neutralizing paint last week. It already had the Toyota frame recall rustproofing done about five years ago which has held up well. There are other bits down there they do not consider 'Frame' though. The Corroseal did a really good job but it took me five hours under the truck. A lot of grinding and painting but now it is all a black treated area underneath. The stuff goes on white then changes to black as it neutralizes the rust, and hardens.

Here in the frozen north you just have to treat it if the car is a keeper.

Yes on 05 3 series BMW.

Bottom of door, door sils, quarter panel, and a little bit of wheel well. Underside rusty as well, trailing arms, and rear diff carrier completely brown. Little bit of unibody rust.

Going to get a new car rather than repair anything.

Have an 04 Ford F250 work truck that lived most of it's life by the bay. Some surface rust here and there. Had a difficult fight when changing out the sealed beam headlights because the screws were rusted and seized up. Insane when I had to use a combination of PBlaster and a blowtorch to get all 8 weeny screws off.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
When shopping for a used car , I have never once looked under a car , inspecting for rust . :)

You should. You never know--you might come across a northern refugee who has rust well set in.

A Yankee car ? Guess I should . It never occurred to me .

Would have to call the State Police & have it deported . :)

They would probably have to search it first , for contraband .

Who knows , might even be a body in the trunk . Either alive or not .

Always look under the vehicle. ALWAYS.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Always look under the vehicle. ALWAYS.
thumbsup2.gif

When I shop used cars, my inspection starts there and works its way up. Vastly less concerned about paint than I am about rust!

For me it's listening to the story the engine is telling you with it's various noises running, then it's looking at the fluid colours and under the oil/rad cap for signs of neglect, belts etc. Then under the vehicle for worn/loose parts and damage, then vehicle exterior, then all the functions are working like power accessories etc.
grin2.gif

For me it's listening to the story the engine is telling you with it's various noises running, then it's looking at the fluid colours and under the oil/rad cap for signs of neglect, belts etc. Then under the vehicle for worn/loose parts and damage, then vehicle exterior, then all the functions are working like power accessories etc. then a test drive to get to know how the car feels. I've seen some pretty nasty stuff vehicles have been through over the years that my dad has had to do the Government Safety Inspection on.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Yes. 07 MDX bought at auction in 2011/80k for $17k. Shoddy body work by PO. Also I found old invoice with prior owners address in glove box. This MDX spent it first four years parked ocean front no garage in Manchester by the Sea.

image.jpg

Last edited:
WOW! Probably normal to you guys, but I have never seen rust like that in a late-ish model vehicle. You'd "maybe" get that on a 30 year old car here...and we're surrounded by ocean too!

Originally Posted by hpb
WOW! Probably normal to you guys, but I have never seen rust like that in a late-ish model vehicle. You'd "maybe" get that on a 30 year old car here...and we're surrounded by ocean too!

Yeah, they like to pour on the salt onto the roads here. Before, during and after storms. Supposedly the newer salts are all the worse. I wish they would quit, it's hard on bridges/overpasses too.

Yeah, I have some bad surface rust starting, of all places, on the edge of my roof just above the windshield. Gotta get that stopped before it goes through and wrecks the seal!

Also have small spots popping up elswhere on the roof and the back hatch. So far, none on door bottoms or pinch rails, thankfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back