4-stroke weed trimmer, runs/starts great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took back the junk weed-eater 2-cycle trimmer to wal-mart. Went to lowes and bought a troybilt 4-stroke trimmer. Except for it being a tad heavy, it starts and runs excellent. It holds a whopping "3.4" ounces of oil, and the filler hole doubles as the oil drain. Kinda weird, I have a 2-stroke lawnboy mower, and a 4-stroke string trimmer!

Glad to hear you're happy! What engine does that Troybilt use? I didn't know there was another common 4-stoke trimmer out there besides Honda (or the "semi" 4-strokes mentioned in the other thread).

It doesent state the manufacture on it. For being a little under $200.00, I would bet its the new briggs&stratton fource engine. My guess is they do this because they want the owners to be confused, and it might make them more prone to buy geniune replacement parts through their channels?

Check out Consumer Reports 6/04 issue for a complete test of string trimmers--very good summary. (I bought a Troy-Bilt TB25CS after reading their test--it was rated a "best buy"--haven't used it yet though)

i always wondered with those fourstroke weedeaters can u edge with by turning it sideways? does is effect lubrication???

The Troybuilt trimmer is a Ryobi unit. This machine does NOT like to be run on its side.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Adcock:
Yes and no. You can turn them sideways and it will not affect lubrication. Most of those small 4-strokes basically atomize the oil, and it's just "there" in the crankcase (kind of like how it's suspended in the A/F mixture in a 2-stroke engine). You can turn those small 4-strokes 360 degrees with no ill effects.

What is the "no" part?
dunno.gif

don't you think the people who design small trimmers, where turning it at many odd angles is part of the task probably considered this when designing it??

Yes and no. You can turn them sideways and it will not affect lubrication. Most of those small 4-strokes basically atomize the oil, and it's just "there" in the crankcase (kind of like how it's suspended in the A/F mixture in a 2-stroke engine). You can turn those small 4-strokes 360 degrees with no ill effects.

Found out that the troybilt 4-stroke weed trimmer engine is built by RYOBI die casting USA. They are makers of all the 2 and 4stroke weed trimmer engines used in MTD weed trimmers under the names like troybilt, yardman, ryobi, cub cadet.....

quote:

Found out that the troybilt 4-stroke weed trimmer engine is built by RYOBI die casting USA. They are makers of all the 2 and 4stroke weed trimmer engines used in MTD weed trimmers under the names like troybilt, yardman, ryobi, cub cadet.....

Should have bought that Kawasaki I gave you the link for....

They DO NOT run 360 degrees continious! The ONLY unit that will is the honda. If you run that Ryobi/Troybuilt or the Briggs on its side for too long it will die. I have been to many dealer meetings and have talked about these.

False advertising from the manufacturers? It says right on the websites of both that they can be used in any orientation. If I bought one and it had a lubrication failure from operating it like the manufacturer told me I could, I'd be right upset. It's good information to know...that they'll fail if operated too long upside down...but it strikes me as odd that they're marketed for 360* operation, but can't stand up to the test.

[ April 25, 2005, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: Jason Adcock ]

I'm curious after all these years,if this 4 stroke trimmer is still running? I have an MTD/Ryobi 4 cycle trimmer I bought over 6 years ago.Runs great.I have the leaf vacuum/shredder attachment as well.They even made a snowblower attachment for these! I bet that ate up the drive shafts constantly.

What oils do you guys use in these small engines.
And oci's. how many hrs on ur units?
I have been looking into 4strokes. it sounds like ryobi is a good brand.
i have been looking for split shaft for tree trimming saw and extentions i have access to.

ken.

I had a TroyBilt 4-stroke string trimmer from Lowes about 5yrs ago. I hated it. The engine was OK, but I couldn't stand the direct-drive (no clutch) design, the pre-cut string head and the fact that if you don't store it just right, your next restart will be a smokey, oily mess.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I had a TroyBilt 4-stroke string trimmer from Lowes about 5yrs ago. I hated it. The engine was OK, but I couldn't stand the direct-drive (no clutch) design, the pre-cut string head and the fact that if you don't store it just right, your next restart will be a smokey, oily mess.

I had one too. It had a clutch but the storage issue was a pain. Also if you didn't store it just right you could also leak oil on your floor as it would vne t through the breather into the bottom of the air cleaner. Also if you trimmed upside down or at an odd angle it would choke on oil and die.

Oil changes were a mess due to the plastic shroud (best to remove that).

I did love the torque and relative quiet of it. So I trashed it and got a Stihl KM-130R set up. Crazy powerful (almost 2 HP), has the attachments and is a 4 Mix which is a 4 Cycle what burns 2 stroke mix. So you get the power of a 4 Cycle without the oil change and associated mess. Love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back