Let's talk about the Canada oil sands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear that there is a lot of acres where the oil sands are. Seems like lots of work to remove the oil from it. Is this a feasible form of oil or easier than drilling for crude elsewhere? I don't know much about it so thought I would inquire

Nothing good comes easy!
It's a lot of work to drill for oil in 5000+ feet of ocean, 100 miles offshore.
It's a lot of work to drill for oil through 30,000 feet of dirt and rock.
It's a lot of work to inject water and chemicals to fracture subterranean shale formations so an oil well can be drilled to extract the oil.
It seems fairly easy by comparison just to dig up the tar sands and heat it to extract the oil.
I look upon it as humans doing environmental remediation on pollution that nature caused.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I hear that there is a lot of acres where the oil sands are. Seems like lots of work to remove the oil from it. Is this a feasible form of oil or easier than drilling for crude elsewhere? I don't know much about it so thought I would inquire

Well, they've been working on this for 10+ years and I mean physically working, not prospecting, evaluating, etc, etc, so I'd say they've determined it's worth the work and investment. I used to work for a pump manufacturer and we were selling/shipping pumps there a decade ago.

Canada has a lot of oil in the sands and so does Venezula with heavy crude which is expensive to refine and also extract.
It costs the Saudi's $2-$5/b, when it costs Americans a lot lot more by cracking and what not.
The Kirkuk field in Iraq sprouts oil from the ground, billions of tons waiting to be extracted without any effort whatsoever.
Extracting from the oil from sand would be quite expensive and also prohibitively burden on the environment.
It may take a century for extraction from sand to be viable.

Four of my good friends worked and three are currently working in the prairies in the oil business, mostly as engineers or scientists. I am from the East so I have admittedly no direct expertise nor experience to confirm, but they tell me there are so many ups and down and it's a very hard lifestyle. Unanimously they tell me that the challenges are really rewarding because it is more than just extraction; they are researching creative engineering solutions for efficient extraction, processing and delivery of bitumen/ petrol, as well new cleaning techniques. So mechanical, civil and biochemical engineering at its best, and lot of patents too. But it is tough work - the technological advancements are bearing fruits. A little like what happened with aerospace engineering when you Americans decided to put a man on the moon. Lots of great inventions out of this, and leaps of advances that benefits humankind. Well deserved pride out of such accomplishments indeed.

They make a profit as well, which is good. They say it is one of the largest reserves of bitumen and oil. It is right next door to our Americans friends too, but we are apparently a " security risk" (which I find insulting but what do I know - I was not a risk when I took in a family from NY after 9/11 for a week when their plane landed at our local airport). Not sure how our stupid politicians will eventually arrive to a nafta deal, but in the mean time, China is investing, purchasing firms and getting access to the oil and patents. I don't like it but what choices do they have? They provide the investments and we Canucks need the royalties and taxes revenues.

The left and greenies are blocking new exploration - as usual. They are blocking pipelines development, as well. The bottom line is we need oil to make so many products and a total ban is just not possible. Sure, we need to be responsible and that is where such inventions can help. Anyhow, suffice to say my friends do not fell supported by a large segment of the population, which is discouraging as they try so hard and their work benefits all. Some of the patents and discoveries can be beneficial to medicine, geology, and biology.

We will eventually get there...

Perhaps someone with direct knowledge can reassure me, and correct me.

What do the oil/gas companies do with the bad byproducts from the drilling etc?
Thank you all for the informative and educational info
smile.gif

It allows us to be independent of the Middle East for oil. It's bad for the environment but that's OK, because the fact that the oil sands exist will keep the price of foreign oil low. I look at it as a strategic resource, we can keep the price of foreign oil down while depleting foreign oil reserves (power politics).

However, we need to embrace resource extraction in Canada. Having a large sector of the economy based on fossil fuels does not ideologically jive with us being an advanced western country, so our economy must be sacrificed on the altar of environmentalism.

The oil Sands make up over 50% of the U.S. oil supply and we are thankful for that because it helps our economy largely and it helps provide security for America as we are a strong stable ally of the U.S. But yeah it's not the best for the environment and it's expensive to separate the sand from the oil but new technology is making that easier and easier everyday.

I read a while ago that there is enough oil in Canada to supply every vehicle in North America for the next 100 years and that is with the current growth rate of more and more vehicles being put on the road so that is good for us. The reason the pricing keeps going up and up is because the world supply is quickly being used up in other places and with more and more cars being put on the road in China and India it's making this a compounding problem. Not to mention the pollution problems for our planet.

Originally Posted by StevieC
The oil Sands make up over 50% of the U.S. oil supply and we are thankful for that because it helps our economy largely and it helps provide security for America as we are a strong stable ally of the U.S. But yeah it's not the best for the environment and it's expensive to separate the sand from the oil but new technology is making that easier and easier everyday.

I read a while ago that there is enough oil in Canada to supply every vehicle in North America for the next 100 years and that is with the current growth rate of more and more vehicles being put on the road so that is good for us. The reason the pricing keeps going up and up is because the world supply is quickly being used up in other places and with more and more cars being put on the road in China and India it's making this a compounding problem. Not to mention the pollution problems for our planet.

China is going to debt trap oil rich countries eventually, they are already starting in Venezuela. Western, developed countries do not hold a candle to the environmental damage that is being done elsewhere. Did you read the thread where Ducked found a container of waste oil in a stream and was asking if he could use it?

If it wasn't profitable it wouldn't be done. I am not saying it is efficient or beneficial.

Most of it gets exported anyways. The refineries in North American can't handle the shale oil and oil sands. They still need crude from the Middle East.

with out reading every single post ,most of which Iam sure are thoughtful.
Did any of them mention its the worlds biggest environmental clean-up?
Think about it , contaminated dirt gets oil /tar removed and clean dirt gets put back.
Where it is close to the surface things will now grow that never did before. I think I read it is a exxon valdees every day.

Oil sands require a tremendous amount of water and a lot of earth moving. Think of an open pit mine the size of Rhode Island. It is possibly the most energy intensive form of oil extraction there is.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Oil sands require a tremendous amount of water and a lot of earth moving. Think of an open pit mine the size of Rhode Island. It is possibly the most energy intensive form of oil extraction there is.

So no

thanks for the link molakule ,i had no idea that crude varied a lot in raw energy content.

The oil Sands make up over 50% of the U.S. oil supply

There is no way oils sands oil is 50% of US supply. I would guess more like 10%, if that.

Originally Posted by BrandonT
The oil Sands make up over 50% of the U.S. oil supply

There is no way oils sands oil is 50% of US supply. I would guess more like 10%, if that.

Why guess when you can wiki...

And of that 16% I'm not sure how much is actual oil sands. This requires expensive metal upgrades to refiners' Crude units and I know of only a couple that have in CO, MN, and I think IL and MT. Not the Gulf coast, East coast, or West coast, which you can imagine are the big players.

On top of that, there is no way oil sands oil could ever become the prime source since the crude slate (composition of compounds from "heavy" to "light") is so unbalanced it would be difficult for most existing distillation columns to operate properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back