What would you do, repair or dump it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2006 Sienna that we purchased a few years back is starting to have some issues. I'm on the fence on whether it makes sense to fix it or trade it and get into something else. I'll lay out the details for you:

- It has 102,500 miles, we purchased it with ~ 80K miles. We owe about $2K more than it's worth. Unfortunately we couldn't fork out the cash to buy it outright as we had some other expenses at the time. The value of the vehicle dropped like a rock this year. I recently saved up the difference to pay it down plus a $3-5K down payment on a different vehicle if we want.

- The transmission has started to flair between 3-4 upshifts when warm. Also feels like it misses shifts sometimes, will rev up and then into gear a few seconds later. The fluid is clean ( i've done 4 drain/fills from 85K to 100K) and at the correct level, running Toyota T-VI. From the research I've done, it needs a rebuild.

- It needs a midpipe on the exhaust, the expansion section is rusting out and rattling.

- It needs rear brakes

- It needs tires in the spring

- Due for spark plugs

- Has a valve tick on startup for a few seconds. Sounds like it needs a valve adjustment which is a big feat on the 3.3. I use Toyota filters and Castrol Edge in it so it's not oil related.

- CD player quit working

- Rear air only works 25% of the time. ( charge is at the correct level, front blows cold)

- Total for all this work i'm figuring ( I'll DIY the exhaust, brakes and other little stuff) is ~ $4-5.5K.

At this point I think it may make more sense to just pay off the difference and trade it in on something new(er). I mean, it runs fine and I've kept up with other maintenance. I did the timing belt with water pump etc last year and kept up on oil changes etc. I'm just having a real hard time with sinking that amount of money into it. It is also our family hauler for our 3 kids, I want something safe and reliable.

Thoughts? What would you do?

Last edited:
I see you live in Minnesnowta as I do.
Another factor would be rust.

It's low miles, but transmission problems are pricey. If it was everything but the listed transmission problems, I'd say fix it and drive it til it dies.

Seeing how you already saved some money up, take a chance at CarMax with the Sienna. See if what they'll give you will be enough to entice you to get rid of it.

For the trans I would drop the pan, change the filter refill with T-IV and some Lubegard Red. See if that helps. If not I'd trade it in. But wouldn't be surprised if what I mentioned makes it shift just fine. If so that would make a huge difference on whether to keep it or not. Hopefully, it's fwd and not awd.

It's too old for Carmax, the oldest car they have is an 07. So they would send it to auction which is usually trade-in value minus $900. At least that was my experience with them when I asked them about a mint condition 99 Accord that was ten years old. But the miles were over what they would keep at 167k.

Sienna is a Camry based mini-van? 102 K is low mileage for a Camry. I hope mine don't have tranny issues at 102K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
For the trans I would drop the pan, change the filter refill with T-IV and some Lubegard Red. See if that helps. If not I'd trade it in. But wouldn't be surprised if what I mentioned makes it shift just fine. If so that would make a huge difference on whether to keep it or not. Hopefully, it's fwd and not awd.

It's too old for Carmax, the oldest car they have is an 07. So they would send it to auction which is usually trade-in value minus $900. At least that was my experience with them when I asked them about a mint condition 99 Accord that was ten years old. But the miles were over what they would keep at 167k.

Thanks, I haven't tried to drop the pan yet. Last drain and fill after it started to act up I did add a bottle of Lubegard Red. It did seem to help for a few thousand miles. Now it's worse than it's ever been. Lazy shifts and flares into 4th. It is FWD.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by andyd
Sienna is a Camry based mini-van? 102 K is low mileage for a Camry. I hope mine don't have tranny issues at 102K. Does it have dipstick? I'm asking 'cuz mine doesn't. I would do a drain and filter only because I had it "fix" a 727 long ago. If that doesn't help...

Not quite, more of a Avalon based minivan, they share the same drive train for this year. I figured buying a lower mileage one a few years ago we'd be set for a while because hey, its a Toyota right... Really though, as with any used car I have no Idea how it was treated before us. It did have good oil change records but the more I do to it as we own it the more it seems maybe it was not taken care of. The motor tick and now the transmission for example.

You can get some good prices on filters on Rockauto with a Fram, etc. I had a real bad flair btwn 1st and 2nd on the Accord around 80k miles after the dealer changed the rear main seal. They did a drain and fill and problem solved for the next 100k miles which is when I sold it. Still shifted fine when sold.

Carspecmn.com is a real good resource for Toyotas. You're lucky since you may not be too far away from them.

Here are some common problems with Siennas according to them:

http://carspecmn.com/?s=Sienna&lang=ICL_LANGUAGE_CODE

Last edited:
drive it till it blows up
57.gif

I'm surprised you're having so many issues at just 102K miles. This many miles should be nothing on a Sienna unless it hasn't been taken care of...

Originally Posted by grampi
I'm surprised you're having so many issues at just 102K miles. This many miles should be nothing on a Sienna unless it hasn't been taken care of...

I'd have to agree with you on both your points. It had maintenance records when we purchased it. Doesn't mean it was treated well I guess.

It is unusual that there is a transmission problem necessitating a rebuild with only 102k miles on it. My 05 has 177k miles and the transmission has been flawless other a noticeable shift hesitation when it was new, largely corrected on the lower gear changes with a computer update (TSB), but NOT entirely eliminated. Mine does the same thing on 3-4 and 4-5 shifts occasionally (usually in traffic when it is shifting a lot) and has done-so since new, this may be what you are feeling. If so, there probably isn't anything actually wrong with it and is just annoying.
BTW, mine still has the original sparkplugs, it starts/idles/runs perfect and gets at least 25 MPG on the highway, so I'm not in any hurry to replace them. Also, your engine has hydraulic lash adjusters so a valve adjustment is not possible. Mine start making a cold startup noise when the timing belt was getting old and needing to be replaced, the noise turned out to be a timing belt idler pulley bearing that was going bad. Has yours had the timing belt/idler/water pump replaced yet?

Originally Posted by wag123
Also, your engine has hydraulic lash adjusters so a valve adjustment is not possible. Mine start making a cold startup noise when the timing belt was getting old and needing to be replaced, the noise turned out to be a timing belt idler pulley bearing that was going bad. Has yours had the timing belt/idler/water pump replaced yet?

Toyota still used shim over bucket lifters on V6s of that era. It's also a neglected item but a laborious task to measure the valve clearances and install new shims. The HLAs didn't get used until the 2GR-FE 3.5L V6 was used.

Originally Posted by wag123
It is unusual that there is a transmission problem necessitating a rebuild with only 102k miles on it. My 05 has 177k miles and the transmission has been flawless other a noticeable shift hesitation when it was new, largely corrected on the lower gear changes with a computer update (TSB), but NOT entirely eliminated. Mine does the same thing on 3-4 and 4-5 shifts occasionally (usually in traffic when it is shifting a lot) and has done-so since new, this may be what you are feeling. If so, there probably isn't anything actually wrong with it and is just annoying.
BTW, mine still has the original sparkplugs, it starts/idles/runs perfect and gets at least 25 MPG on the highway, so I'm not in any hurry to replace them. Also, your engine has hydraulic lash adjusters so a valve adjustment is not possible. Mine start making a cold startup noise when the timing belt was getting old and needing to be replaced, the noise turned out to be a timing belt idler pulley bearing that was going bad. Has yours had the timing belt/idler/water pump replaced yet?

Yeah, it is rare for these transmissions to have fatal issues but not unheard of. I'll prob bring it in to have it looked at before making the call. However, it's more than likely an actual issue. It shifts great when cold, nice clean crisp shifts. It's only after driving for about 30+ minutes and it's fully warmed up that it starts shifting really lazy/sligish and the flairs/missing gear's happens. That's really what it feels like, its missing gears between shifts. It goes to shift, kind of bucks a little bit and then clunks into gear, it's weird.

The 06 still has the 3.3 which still uses buckets and shims, no hydraulic lash adjusters in this engine.

I replaced the timing belt @ 100K with the Aisin kit including water pump and pulleys etc. The tick was there before and after. The only other think I can think of is maybe the mid pipe that is bad causing the tick. I'd have to replace it to find out.

Last edited:
You're not gonna get very much - Uber has hosed Toyota resale if you're near a decently sized city. I'd take care of the safety related stuff(brakes/tires/exhaust) and plugs. Drive it into the ground. Unless you can offload it and get a decent trade in or private offer.

Plugs are a royal PITA to do on a tranverse V6 unless it's a Honda, Ford Vulcan/Essex or Chrysler non-Pentastar V6 which doesn't need the intake to be pulled or can be done on a lift.

I've done plugs on my parent's Sienna - the pain is taking off the intake and getting the stays to line up on reinstall. And I replaced the valve cover gaskets and spark plug tube seals as well. These call for iridium-tipped with platinum ground spark plugs(Denso SK20R-11/NGK IFR6T11) - good for 100K. They can go up to 120-150K, I had the OEM Denso PK20R-11 in my old car for 150K.

Thanks, I haven't tried to drop the pan yet. Last drain and fill after it started to act up I did add a bottle of Lubegard Red. It did seem to help for a few thousand miles. Now it's worse than it's ever been. Lazy shifts and flares into 4th. It is FWD.

My first instinct is that there's just a few hundred dollars of parts there, and a few afternoons with the tool kit. If you are opposed to DIY maintenance, high-mileage cars are forever going to be problematic for you. And this is a very easy one for DIY work, honestly.

The 2006 Sienna has the 3mz-fe engine and the U151E transmission. A more bullet-proof powertrain is hard to find. We have 300k now on one and it runs like new, given proper maintenance. I have to wonder if a) the transmission fill is being checked properly, as low fluid can cause the problem. The transmission needs to be checked while running. Does this one have the dipstick or is it after the deletion? Also, does it have an aftermarket filter installed? These have caused this problem, also. On the lifter tick - these engines can make some noise. I do periodic lube system flushes to keep it quiet, and I use Mobil 1 10w-30HM. I doubt it really needs valve adjustment, though I am certain you can find a mechanic who will listen to it and tell you that, and happily take your money.

The spark plugs in the engine are *conservatively* rated at 120k I believe. And they can go longer. I would put them off until 150k and do the valve cover gaskets at the same time. There is no need to change plugs right now. I did not see any mention of the timing belt being done, which is more important north of 100k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back