Batt Light on, 09 Vibe 2.4L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just asking. I gave my older sister a 2009 Vibe 1.5 yrs ago. It was/is in fine shape, 2.4L ‘Camry' engine, about 115k miles now. It's always been a great runner.

She lives 6 hours away. The other day her red ‘battery' light came on while driving. I got the battery, maybe 3-4 yrs ago, Duralast I think. She had some minor work done last Spring, the shop included a battery test that came back fine, for whatever that's worth.

The belt seems fine, still in place as far as I could direct her to check. The battery drained down as she drove, did get home. I told her to put a charger on it, overnight. With that it drives fine for a while, until power drains, not charging. She has an appt Friday with a shop to test.

Yes it SEEMS to point towards the alternator, but I don't want to order one until it's confirmed. I see reviews on cheapie rebuilt alternators from Autozone are bad, 1 Star or so. Rock Auto has a new Denso for about $300.

Anything else I can direct her to check? Is it likely the alternator? Or something else/battery? The battery seems to hold a charge once charged? If it needs a new alternator, any recommendations?

The shop on Friday seems reputable. I think it will be fairly simple to diagnose in person. Thanks.

Get the new OE alternator and a Bando belt, and of course a battery
smile.gif

Super common on those. At least it's easy to get to.

Don't go cheap, get the Denso. Check Amazon too.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Get the new OE alternator and a Bando belt, and of course a battery
smile.gif

^^^^°°

Right answer here.

‘Super common'? So does that mean likely needs the new alternator? I'm sure the trifecta of a new alternator, belt, & battery would put her back to good. The belt was changed in the history, may be nearing 5 years now.

The one shop gave her an over the phone estimate if $340 for a new alternator. That could easily be a $75 cheapie rebuild from Autozone quality one. Just trying to help her out long distance. In the past I've ordered better parts & she had a reputable shop put them on.

Let us know what the shop says when they test it.

I wouldn't even think to get a rebuilt alternator from a parts store. Get the Denso. Or I'd consider one of the other "new" ones at Rockauto if need to save money.

Ok, just to update. The sister went to a local shop she likes and trusts, at least somewhat. They confirmed it is the alternator, common he said too. He wants to get one himself, 3 year guarantee through the shop. This is right by her work in MI, so this is the plan now.

A new belt will go on also. Again, I'm 6 hours away and not able to be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back