The truth about CVT's (at least Subaru's) and cats

Well, OK, I won't be talking about cats...
laugh.gif

These are my experiences with CVTs over the last 20 years (snowmobiles) and 6 years for autos.

CVT-slow?

CVT's have one overriding characteristic. They (can) keep the engine at or near peak power while the vehicle accelerates. Those of you who have ridden two-stroke motorcycles know just how slow an engine can be when it's below the power peak. Once a CVT-equipped vehicle reaches peak power RPM, it WILL out-accelerate other transmission types, vehicle weight and HP being equal. CVT's also do not suffer from between-gears slowdowns (which would make riding snowmobiles very impractical).

The SCCA had (has?) a D-sports class that had several very fast CVT equipped race cars. So you curmudgeons can stop with the rhetoric.

There is a downside hidden here. CVT's have a limited range of gear ratios, so your typical Subaru Impreza, for instance (I owned one for 6 years), which has an overall ratio intended to keep the RPM down at higher speeds, has a very tall "first gear" (the lowest ratio). This means you won't be launching a typical CVT auto from a stop. It's as if it starts out in second gear.

Data Point: My 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited with a whopping 148 HP and tons of AWD weight, would accelerate 0-60 in 8.5 seconds (as measured with a GoPro, using the 30 frames-per-second to time, and the tach to determine launch, and a GPS-calibrated speedo to determine 60 MPH). For a car that heavy, that's not at all bad. HOWEVER, that extended to 9.8 seconds if the CVT was NOT in manual shift mode. In 'auto shift' mode, the computer kept revs at peak torque, not peak HP RPM. NO review of that time noted this discrepancy, and quoted the slower time (fake news!).

Driving a CVT on hilly terrain is a pleasure, as the RPM is genty varied to meet power needs. Same thing when strong headwinds came my way.

Economy. My Imp achieved three tanks of 38+ MPG US (hand-calculated). I commuted 40 miles on county roads, with speeds mosty 55 MPH, and stops every 2 to 6 miles. In normal driving, I got 34 MPG summer, and 27 winter. At the time, I thought this was fantastic.

Cold temps and the CVT. My Impreza took about 10 miles of driving to warm up its CVT oil. MPG was not good prior to that. My Current CX-5 can get 28+ MPG with short 2-miles-one-way trips. The Imp would have been around 23.

The CVT sound. Most reviewers say it drones. Well, it certainly attempts to stay at one RPM, which isn't really sporting, and the CVT steel drive chain also whines when the CVT is cold.

Reliability. NASIOC the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, had something like TWO CVT failures while I was a member. The Subie CVT is very reliable. It would have been very expensive to replace out of warranty, as only replacements were available.

Subaru dealers mostly told customers that CVT oil changes were not recommended. This may bite Subaru as time goes on.

I have owned a dozen motorcycles, 4 manual trans autos, and one Honda CUT with manual transmissions. I drove an 18-speed pop truck for a while (and could double clutch its 5 speed tranny with 3 speed transaxle). I almost always enjoyed shifting when *I* wanted the engine to shift. I found using the flappy-paddle shifters on the Imp to be an acceptable substitute. I very much missed being able to launch the car at peak HP RPM, although the several impromptu stoplight drags I ran didn't seem to care. (I don't know if the other drivers knew they were racing...haha)

I talked the wife into a 2012 Outback. It is SLOW. I hate it. I also owned a 2000 Outback with LSD, and a 5-speed manual. That is my most favorite owned car, which includes a 1996 CRX, a modded Mitsu Eclipse (that would spin all four tires in first gear!), an audi turbo awd a4 that I hate, and my current CX-5, by far the best engineered car I have owned.

I hope that this post will educate those of you with open minds. CVT's aren't inherently evil, and don't have to be boring, if you can 'shift' them at will.

My truth...I won't buy a car with one. Well, as you can see in my sig, I don't usually buy cars to begin with.

I do not like them......Nothing you say will change my mind. They are....For the time being, Severely handicapped on how much power/torque can be put through them. This is a roadblock I'm not sure can be overcome. Isn't the Nissan Maxima the most powerful car with a CVT? 300 HP/261 FT.LBS is not that impressive anymore. I'm not even going to get into JATCO reliability.

It seems to be human nature to distrust anything new. Imagine if the CVT had come BEFORE the automatic.....we'd all be whining about the way the engine revs between gears lol.

A case in point, my father never came to trust the automatic, having driven his whole life with manual transmissions. I still to this day prefer a manual, automatics used to be so problematic that I wrote them off.

Last edited:
I don't really have anything against CVTs, but I still am not really ready to buy one. The ones I have driven have not been really objectionable, but it's not exactly exciting either. It's actually quite disappointing to me that Subaru is going to kill the manual even for the WRX, in their pursuit of being the "safest car manufacturer" because you can't have automatic braking with EyeSight and a stick.

I dislike the fact that "generally" you cannot add large amounts of HP to today's true automatics without worrying about lunching parts, and looking at a 4k+ repair bill.

Back in my Fox-body days, the manual was not much more reliable under large HP increases as T5s acted like they had gearsets made of glass, but once the T56 started they have generally been better. That being said, I did some really stupid things (in retrospect) with the stock T5 in my 95 Cobra that it should have never lived through, but did. Like 5800 RPM clutch drops on 8.5" slicks that would lift the front tires about 12" for about, well, 12" of forward travel (LOL). No broken gears, smoked clutches, or broken axles. I'd never attempt that now that I am wiser
wink.gif

So, in short, the truth is, ALL transmissions have their inherent individual drawbacks, and positives. CVTs are simply a newer, different set of each. Pick your vehicle based on your comfort level with each respective transmission type.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
I don't really have anything against CVTs, but I still am not really ready to buy one. The ones I have driven have not been really objectionable, but it's not exactly exciting either. It's actually quite disappointing to me that Subaru is going to kill the manual even for the WRX, in their pursuit of being the "safest car manufacturer" because you can't have automatic braking with EyeSight and a stick.

I dislike the fact that "generally" you cannot add large amounts of HP to today's true automatics without worrying about lunching parts, and looking at a 4k+ repair bill.

Back in my Fox-body days, the manual was not much more reliable under large HP increases as T5s acted like they had gearsets made of glass, but once the T56 started they have generally been better. That being said, I did some really stupid things (in retrospect) with the stock T5 in my 95 Cobra that it should have never lived through, but did. Like 5800 RPM clutch drops on 8.5" slicks that would lift the front tires about 12" for about, well, 12" of forward travel (LOL). No broken gears, smoked clutches, or broken axles. I'd never attempt that now that I am wiser
wink.gif

So, in short, the truth is, ALL transmissions have their inherent individual drawbacks, and positives. CVTs are simply a newer, different set of each. Pick your vehicle based on your comfort level with each respective transmission type.

Really good post here ^^^^^

I operated a 1940s combine that had a CVT. so much for new tech lol.
The reason CVTs are being put in automobiles now is because computer control can monitor temps and several other attributes and limit engine output accordingly to save the tranny. Sort of like Ford cutting back engine output just so they can use 5w20 oil. Fine for a lot of people, but not for those that are more attuned to mechanical and engineering principles.

The acronym "CVT" covers many different designs. Agricultural equipment has had them for decades but they are not remotely comparable to the automotive designs used currently.

Belt drive CVT's are quite a common design and have severe limits on torque. Modern drivetrain programming has huge helpings of torque management in almost every car, not just CVT's.

If you like them, great. You have many choices. My taste for higher powered automobiles means I don't and won't own one. Too many professionals like Clinebarger have told me they seem rather fragile....

Originally Posted by bobdoo
Well, OK, I won't be talking about cats...
laugh.gif

These are my experiences with CVTs over the last 20 years (snowmobiles) and 6 years for autos.

CVT-slow?

CVT's have one overriding characteristic. They (can) keep the engine at or near peak power while the vehicle accelerates. Those of you who have ridden two-stroke motorcycles know just how slow an engine can be when it's below the power peak. Once a CVT-equipped vehicle reaches peak power RPM, it WILL out-accelerate other transmission types, vehicle weight and HP being equal. CVT's also do not suffer from between-gears slowdowns (which would make riding snowmobiles very impractical).

The SCCA had (has?) a D-sports class that had several very fast CVT equipped race cars. So you curmudgeons can stop with the rhetoric.

There is a downside hidden here. CVT's have a limited range of gear ratios, so your typical Subaru Impreza, for instance (I owned one for 6 years), which has an overall ratio intended to keep the RPM down at higher speeds, has a very tall "first gear" (the lowest ratio). This means you won't be launching a typical CVT auto from a stop. It's as if it starts out in second gear.

Data Point: My 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited with a whopping 148 HP and tons of AWD weight, would accelerate 0-60 in 8.5 seconds (as measured with a GoPro, using the 30 frames-per-second to time, and the tach to determine launch, and a GPS-calibrated speedo to determine 60 MPH). For a car that heavy, that's not at all bad. HOWEVER, that extended to 9.8 seconds if the CVT was NOT in manual shift mode. In 'auto shift' mode, the computer kept revs at peak torque, not peak HP RPM. NO review of that time noted this discrepancy, and quoted the slower time (fake news!).

Driving a CVT on hilly terrain is a pleasure, as the RPM is genty varied to meet power needs. Same thing when strong headwinds came my way.

Economy. My Imp achieved three tanks of 38+ MPG US (hand-calculated). I commuted 40 miles on county roads, with speeds mosty 55 MPH, and stops every 2 to 6 miles. In normal driving, I got 34 MPG summer, and 27 winter. At the time, I thought this was fantastic.

Cold temps and the CVT. My Impreza took about 10 miles of driving to warm up its CVT oil. MPG was not good prior to that. My Current CX-5 can get 28+ MPG with short 2-miles-one-way trips. The Imp would have been around 23.

The CVT sound. Most reviewers say it drones. Well, it certainly attempts to stay at one RPM, which isn't really sporting, and the CVT steel drive chain also whines when the CVT is cold.

Reliability. NASIOC the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, had something like TWO CVT failures while I was a member. The Subie CVT is very reliable. It would have been very expensive to replace out of warranty, as only replacements were available.

Subaru dealers mostly told customers that CVT oil changes were not recommended. This may bite Subaru as time goes on.

I have owned a dozen motorcycles, 4 manual trans autos, and one Honda CUT with manual transmissions. I drove an 18-speed pop truck for a while (and could double clutch its 5 speed tranny with 3 speed transaxle). I almost always enjoyed shifting when *I* wanted the engine to shift. I found using the flappy-paddle shifters on the Imp to be an acceptable substitute. I very much missed being able to launch the car at peak HP RPM, although the several impromptu stoplight drags I ran didn't seem to care. (I don't know if the other drivers knew they were racing...haha)

I talked the wife into a 2012 Outback. It is SLOW. I hate it. I also owned a 2000 Outback with LSD, and a 5-speed manual. That is my most favorite owned car, which includes a 1996 CRX, a modded Mitsu Eclipse (that would spin all four tires in first gear!), an audi turbo awd a4 that I hate, and my current CX-5, by far the best engineered car I have owned.

I hope that this post will educate those of you with open minds. CVT's aren't inherently evil, and don't have to be boring, if you can 'shift' them at will.

One needs to be mainly concerned about the current CVT transmissions. Things have evolved quickly with CVTs and in my opinion they are fine. I almost never think that I am driving a car with a CVT when driving one of the Subarus.

Almost one year into my Forester and not getting the CVT is my only regret at this point. I love the manual, but I think automatics are (or have been) to the point that they are just as reliable as a manual. And my shoulder and knees aren't getting any better. I do enjoy towing with a manual, but I'd love a CVT daily driver. I dont have to worry about it shifting itself to death in traffic and such

Originally Posted by philipp10
It seems to be human nature to distrust anything new. Imagine if the CVT had come BEFORE the automatic.....we'd all be whining about the way the engine revs between gears lol.

A case in point, my father never came to trust the automatic, having driven his whole life with manual transmissions. I still to this day prefer a manual, automatics used to be so problematic that I wrote them off.

My father (77) had bought an automatic between 1977 and 2012. When he met my mother, he taught her how to drive manual and that's all they ever had. He still doesn't trust automatic transmissions. But joints wear out and they have had 2 auto escapes since 2012.

I have his manual trans f-350 and I prefer it for towing.. Quite a rarity. I have always seeked out manuals, too. Of course, when you grow up in the mid 90s / early 00s and you know a lot of Dodge people, you come to have that same distrust of automatic transmissions.

My parents really like my Forester compared to their escape, but my father dosen't trust CVTs. So he got another Escape and keeps complaining about how the 4wd system is just a hackjob poorly made system.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I do not like them......Nothing you say will change my mind. They are....For the time being, Severely handicapped on how much power/torque can be put through them.

This was one of many things that turned me away from them as well. And that isn't because they are stronger. The fact is they are weaker mechanically. If they weren't you would see them in bigger, more powerful vehicles, that are capable of towing.... Like the gear driven 8-speed automatics are.

I agree that in time this will be overcome. But that doesn't help anyone now. You can only purchase what is being offered. And for now, there isn't enough, if there is any advantage to them, to win my money over.

I don't like them for the following reasons:
1.) I don't like how they "feel" when you drive them
2.) I don't trust their reliability yet
3.) It's just one more thing, that depending on the make and model, can be a pain to maintain.

This is why I own a 2010 Accord (last year before CVT) and 2014 CR-V (last year before CVT).

There isn't one single CVT-equipped car that I would want to own.

Unfortunately the CVT is now and likely forever will be the mark of the penalty box. Who knows what the future may hold....

But I'm not holding my breath.

Have used them a lot over the years in industry, for variable ratio applications such as controlling coal feed through paddle reclaimers.

Very high torque (although required over-riding clutches to provide an absolute limit), quite a few hundred HP, 8,000 hour oil changes and 50,000 hour overhauls could be achieved in situ.

But that's (semi) stationary industrial, not a built light automotive drivetrain.

I enjoyed the CVT in the maxima we hired in the states in 2014, but I used it a lot in "sport" which simulated gear changes and engine revs.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by clinebarger
I do not like them......Nothing you say will change my mind. They are....For the time being, Severely handicapped on how much power/torque can be put through them.

This was one of many things that turned me away from them as well. And that isn't because they are stronger. The fact is they are weaker mechanically. If they weren't you would see them in bigger, more powerful vehicles, that are capable of towing.... Like the gear driven 8-speed automatics are.

I agree that in time this will be overcome. But that doesn't help anyone now. You can only purchase what is being offered. And for now, there isn't enough, if there is any advantage to them, to win my money over.

My sentiments exactly. For me the good news is any vehicle that I would even consider to purchase doesn't exist with a CVT, yet.

FTR-clinebarger is a forum transmission expert, I'll take his word as Gospel. His comments echo the comments I've heard from people I know that are well versed on the topic. At some point the technology might be forced upon me, hopefully by then the CVT is as reliable as a good automatic transmission.

How funny.
I made an opening post very much like the one here. It was basically a listing of observations, questions and anecdotes about CVT's.

I asked for everyone's experiences and opinions right from the start.

The difference is that here a conversation followed.

When I did it the people lined up and said, "EEEwwww, what did you make that post for?"

I thought that was really, disappointing and stupid. (sorry for the mini-flame)

It's MIGHTILY ENCOURAGING that our collective brain has adapted to actually handle new thoughts.

Do you need a bottom line on CVT's? I think it's this: They were designed eons ago for lower torque applications. Old cars with V-belt CVT's epitomize this.

Fuel crises got the auto makers to dust off the old designs and WOW-they have fewer parts and are cheaper to make.

Trouble is car bodies never made it to the pure carbon fiber stage and very few engines became 2 or 3 cylinders.

But hey, we got CVT's.

Thank heavens for super fast computer controls or they'd be worse.

I co-developed a study that focuses on the long-term reliability of engines and transmissions. We now have over 1.8 million vehicles that have been inspected by professional mechanics.

Overall we have found CVTs to be a mixed bag. For the most part they are not nearly as reliable as conventional automatics for two reasons. First, the maintenance schedules on these units are either too long (Nissan and Chrysler in particular) or non-existent. If you want a CVT to last 200,000 miles you will have to get the fluid changed regardless of what the OEM is stating in the owner's manual. Preferably, it's best to do this somewhere between the 30k to 50k point.

The second issue is that these units are engineered for vehicles that have too much power and weight to handle the capabilities of that CVT. Every minivan and SUV that has a CVT is ranked far below average when it comes to long-term reliability.

A light vehicle that is a compact or smaller will generally do better than most other alternatives if you must have a CVT for whatever reason. Also, there are some units in the marketplace that are technically not CVTs such as the ones used on Toyota's Prius line.

Hope this helps!

Steven Lang

http://www.dashboard-light.com/

Last edited:
Within my immediate family, we have four Subaru CVTs and two Ford eCVTs; we have had zero issues with any of these transmissions. Both our Ford and Subaru CVTs are quiet, drive nicely, help these vehicles get great fuel economy, and are easy to maintain with drain plug and fill plugs that are easily accessible.

My only minor complaint is in regards to the fake gears that Subaru puts into their programming which are supposed to "enhance the feeling of acceleration", I much prefer the Ford set-up that just matches the engine RPM to the power demand from the driver.

Back