True Story about Cabin Air Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by GeekOnTheHill
I live in the boonies, and there's a lot of dust. This is what mine usually looks like after six months:

full-82759-29718-cabin_air_filter_082017.jpg

That may not look horrible, but bear in mind that it's only six months of schmutz. I wouldn't want to let it get much worse than that, so I just change it when I change the oil filter and engine air filter, which I do twice a year.

Richard

Yuck!

You may wish to consider Bosch's HEPA cabin filter, if they make one for your car
smile.gif

They don't, at least not the last time I checked. I usually just use the KIA OEM one because it's convenient to pick it up when I buy the oil filter. On KIA and Hyundai engines, using the OEM oil filter is supposed to be very important. I don't know how true that is; but I've looked inside them, and they're very good filters and very inexpensive, so I use them. I just pick up the CAF at the same time.

On a closely-related topic, I once knew a guy who was going through blower motor resistors at a ridiculous rate. Turns out a family of mice had been living in the HVAC system somewhere. I removed the mouse nest, and he never burned out another resistor. I guess the mouse nest was blocking the airflow and causing the resistor to overheat. (The car didn't have a CAF.)

He wasn't too happy knowing he'd been breathing in mouse poop and pee all that time...

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back