'11 Kia Optima Hybrid Serpentine Belt

Does anybody in here know how to replace the serpentine belt on a 2011 Kia Optima Hybrid?

There are two belts on this vehicle. One seems to be a stretch fit and the other is a serpentine type belt that has 2 tensioners. I tried replacing the serp. belt but could not get either of the tensioners to move enough so that I can get the belt off. I did not try to force it any further. I tried searching online for how to's and could not find any.

Last edited:
Hello.
I made an account to post here.

There is very little info online about the 2011 optima hybrid belt replacement.

The way to perform this procedure is;

Jack up passenger front of vehicle.
Place on Jack stand.
Remove wheel, remove wheel well liner
Move Jack to front of vehicle
Use a solid piece of rubber or wooden block as a protector, jack up oil pan one half of an inch. hold it there
Remove upper motor mount in passenger side engine bay.

Now you have access to the belt tensioners. You will need to fully engage both to get the belt on/off.

I applied pressure to the tensioner closest to the front of the vehicle and zip tied against the framework on the front.

The second tensioner I had my wife hold fully engaged as I worked the belt on. You should always start with the crankshaft and work up, looping the alternator pulley last.

The new belt will be tight, likely you can barely get it on the alternator pulley.

This is ok, just get 1 or 2 grooves on and then begin turning the crankshaft with a 22m wrench to get the belt the rest of the way on.

Make sure it's aligned, and release both tensioners

-K

Hello.
I made an account to post here.

There is very little info online about the 2011 optima hybrid belt replacement.

The way to perform this procedure is;

Jack up passenger front of vehicle.
Place on Jack stand.
Remove wheel, remove wheel well liner
Move Jack to front of vehicle
Use a solid piece of rubber or wooden block as a protector, jack up oil pan one half of an inch. hold it there
Remove upper motor mount in passenger side engine bay.

Now you have access to the belt tensioners. You will need to fully engage both to get the belt on/off.

I applied pressure to the tensioner closest to the front of the vehicle and zip tied against the framework on the front.

The second tensioner I had my wife hold fully engaged as I worked the belt on. You should always start with the crankshaft and work up, looping the alternator pulley last.

The new belt will be tight, likely you can barely get it on the alternator pulley.

This is ok, just get 1 or 2 grooves on and then begin turning the crankshaft with a 22m wrench to get the belt the rest of the way on.

Make sure it's aligned, and release both tensioners

-K

Welcome to BITOG 🥳

That is a very helpful post :cool:

Back