Tracing power steering leak '03 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you guys help me find the source of a slow power steering fluid leak? I'm assuming I have one, because my PS line and hose looks to be wet, from where the metal line connects to the pump to about 8 inches along the hose. I've put in pictures, but I'm not sure if you can tell in them that the metal is oily. It is. I know you can tell in them where the hose is oily and where it is dry. Is it possible to tell from this where the leak most likely is? I am planning to clean it off and watch it to see where it starts, but I think this is a really slow leak and so that might take a while. As for cleaning it off--what is the best thing to use for that? I assume pretty much any degreaser will do the job on the metal, but what works and is safe on the hose? Thanks!
(The first picture is from the back side relative to all the others)

Based upon my experience with Hondas I would say that your high pressure hose is seeping and will spring a bigger leak at some point. I had to replace the one on my 89 Accord twice in its life. They seem to last about 150,000 miles, or so.

O-ring where high pressure hose mounts to power steering pump. Common for them to leak and I just did one on a 2010 Civic. Get the o-rings from the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin
O-ring where high pressure hose mounts to power steering pump. Common for them to leak and I just did one on a 2010 Civic. Get the o-rings from the dealer.

Thanks for the advice. Definitely get from the dealer rather than from Napa/O'Reilly/Autozone?

I like this possibility a lot better than replacing the whole hose. Is it possible then for the fluid to have spread all the way up the hose like it has? I've been afraid of the "seeping" option that @DBMaster mentioned because of that. I'm also a little above that 150K number, so...

If you do decide to replace the whole hose it looks like a Sunsong one is available from Partsgeek for about $63. The Sunsong ones are identical to the OEM and are the supplier to many automakers.

Originally Posted By: Patrologia
Originally Posted By: Kibitoshin

Thanks for the advice. Definitely get from the dealer rather than from Napa/O'Reilly/Autozone?

I like this possibility a lot better than replacing the whole hose. Is it possible then for the fluid to have spread all the way up the hose like it has? I've been afraid of the "seeping" option that @DBMaster mentioned because of that. I'm also a little above that 150K number, so...

Get em from the dealer. It's a couple bucks but better than guesstimating what o-ring fits there.

The 2010 Civic I worked on had a much more nastier leak. I almost thought it was a bad high pressure hose crimp but saw the leak originate from the pump area so I figured I start with the cheaper fix. After replacing the o-ring and degreasing everything there is no signs of weepage from the hoses, etc.

It wouldn't hurt anything to try the o-ring first, but I'm not confident that will resolve the issue. It's cheap enough to try.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
It wouldn't hurt anything to try the o-ring first, but I'm not confident that will resolve the issue. It's cheap enough to try.

This is my thought. If it's wrong, I'm out six bucks. If it's right, I save a bunch of cash and a bunch of trouble. Thanks guys.

By the way, any advice on a degreaser? I figure I should clean it up when I change it so that I can see soon if there's still a leak.

My favorite is Coleman camping fuel. It's naptha, but cheaper to buy as Coleman fuel than from the paint department. You can also use mineral spirits, but I find that naptha evaporates cleanly and doesn't hurt paint.

For high pressure lines, check where the hose is crimped into the metal fitting.
That will go bad with age.

If you can take it off, you can bring the hose to a hydraulic/racing shop and let them rebuild it using the same fitting.
They will test for high pressure and usually will have a better product than store bought parts.
Not sure if it will be cheaper than the stealership though.

If there is an O-ring that is where to start. To find a suspected leak I wrap the area with a clean paper towel I tie it in place and drive for a while

Originally Posted By: Patrologia
Originally Posted By: DBMaster

This is my thought. If it's wrong, I'm out six bucks. If it's right, I save a bunch of cash and a bunch of trouble. Thanks guys.

And having the luxury of having the pump mounted on the top. Pop those two bolts off, swap the o-ring and top off any PS fluid lost.

I had to remove the pump just to get access to the high pressure fitting. Then bleed the system and hopefully all of the air has come out.

Last edited:
I vote from Honda experience that O ring with the two bolts is a weak area. Also those bolts look heavy duty than previous years. Careful when torquing them down.

Well, I changed out the o rings, but didn't resolved the noise that made me start looking into it though. Probably the most useful thing I did was clean everything up so that I could see that I *think* I can tell where the hose is seeping. Looks like it is right where that steel fitting crimps onto the high pressure hose (you can see it in the last picture if you care). Anyway, either that's where it is seeping or that is where I didn't get it perfectly clean when I degreased. I'll keep an eye on it for future reference, but I think that leak is really slow, probably has been there a while, and not related to whine I was hearing. I now suspect the AC compressor, and I don't know how to do AC work, so the car is at the shop letting real professionals look at it and determine what I need to do. Would have been so nice if the $2 o ring had solved my problems.

I hate to say that I expected that. I didn't want to start any arguments with the others, but I've seen that leakage before. Eventually, you would have a pinhole develop and you'd be surprise by how much of a mess you have when that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back