High rpms on a 2001 crv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

As you can tell by my username I’m clueless when it comes to automotive mechanical work and do not plan on spending thousands to find out that the problem still occurs.

I’m seeking any knowledge as to why my problem is happening

The problems I’m having with my 2001 Honda CR-V is that when I press on the pedal the rpms go higher than they need to to achieve the speed that is needed.

Things I believe are worth noting:
•when the vehicle is started the rpms rise a small amount but I think that’s just the engine running itself to temperature. I might be wrong.
• when on cruise control the rpms spike randomly at times and then dies back down to what it was originally at.
•the vehicle has 230,000 miles.

To my understanding. It’s that under proper care. Honda crvs can last up to 500,000 with proper care. Thank you for taking the time to read this. And If there’s any advice to give here that would be greatly appreciated.

welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif
welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: CluelessUser
As you can tell by my username I’m clueless when it comes to automotive mechanical work and do not plan on spending thousands to find out that the problem still occurs.
You can't have it both ways.

To my understanding. It’s that under proper care. Honda crvs can last up to 500,000 with proper care. Thank you for taking the time to read this. And If there’s any advice to give here that would be greatly appreciated.
Anything can last up to 500000 miles, but the chances of that happening with a clueless owner are 0%.

It sounds to me like your car is not as powerful as it once was because it has 230000 miles on it, that's a lot of mileage. Is your cruise spiking to maintain speed? Because all of the symptoms you described sound perfectly normal to me.

Honestly, you should spend your time trying to find a decent local mechanic who is not a crook. Word of mouth, social media, model specific message boards with regional sections, etc. It seems kind of entitled to come on here and say "I can't fix cars but I am too cheap to go to a mechanic, so here are some vague symptoms to a problem that may not exist"

When was the last time the trans was serviced? If it's been a long time I would do a simple drain and fill. About 3 qts will drain out and refill with the same amt or the full level. Make sure all preventative maintenance has been done. Clean t-body for starters.

As mentioned check the fluid level first. Then service the transmission as SatinSilver stated, if that doesn't work odds are it needs transmission work, or a transmission. Unfortunately the automatic transmission is not a strong point for the CRV of that vintage. With those many miles there could be other problems too. Good luck finding a good mechanic you can trust. I'd start getting recommendations for a good mechanic from friends.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
As mentioned check the fluid level first. Then service the transmission as SatinSilver stated, if that doesn't work odds are it needs transmission work, or a transmission. Unfortunately the automatic transmission is not a strong point for the CRV of that vintage. With those many miles there could be other problems too. Good luck finding a good mechanic you can trust. I'd start getting recommendations for a good mechanic from friends.
that vintage crv was very problematic,not just the trans
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
frown.gif

but but but, OP said Honda CRVs can go 500000 with proper care!

After a decade or so of similar symptoms NOT being a transmission problem, I no longer jump to the "bad tranny" conclusion right away. I once had a bad throttle position sensor ($30) cause slipping/revving symptoms. Another time an intermittent plug wire malfunction also caused slipping tranny type symptoms. In both cases, no diagnostic codes were thrown and the problems were diagnosed using a good scan tool/scope. The computers/sensors of today's vehicles can cause some weird symptoms.

Just my two cents. I agree with others to find a good mechanic that you can work with and trust not to rake you over the coals.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
frown.gif

Go to your local Honda dealer- their buyers drink the same Kool-Aid as the Subaru people do.

Nothing against the poster but a Honda is bullet proof. Every one I have seen under 30K miles is...…..

Old habits die hard.

A guy on here has an 06 or 07 Accord with 600k+ miles on it. Of course it's a better platform. I had the dealer replace a rear main seal on a 99 Accord. It flared between 1st and 2nd afterwards. They did a drain and fill which solved the issue. Car ran perfect when I sold it 100k later with 166k on it.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
frown.gif

FTR I like the correction! Yea 500,000K miles, that isn't reserved only to Honda.

I would suspect the torque converter isn't locking, but I don't remember if that vintage would give you the flashing "D" indicator to tell you there's a transmission problem if that was the case. A transmission fluid change wouldn't hurt. Not that this is the source of your problem, but don't forget to check the valve adjustment and change the timing belt if you haven't done it recently (would be due at 210,000). That vintage had a bad habit of burning valves if you didn't adjust them regularly.

Make sure your brakes aren't dragging, my 2004 would get sticky brakes when the pads got old and rusty. The brakes would start moaning and you could feel intense heat through the openings in the wheel after driving for a while. I believe there was a TSB about cleaning and greasing the pads and pad guides annually in the salty climates.

The most important thing to always remember,never go to a shop as an uninformed or clueless customer,or you’ll be an easy target for them to rip off. You did the right thing by coming here and ascertaining what could be wrong before you even think about settling foot into a shop.

frown.gif

Yet this owner has 230,000 miles on his. Not exactly Swiss cheese.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
frown.gif

Yet this owner has 230,000 miles on his. Not exactly Swiss cheese.

True, and a walk in the park for many Bitog members.

Back OT- the OP has his work cut out for him finding a trustworthy mechanic. At 230K miles there is a lot that could be wrong, and the potential for a lot of up selling should the mechanic pick up the OP is not car savvy. Good luck OP, hopefully it's something simple like a transmission service.

Try lubeguard red. but first we need a video of behavior showing tach/speedo while you drive.

Hello everyone,

I’m seeking any knowledge as to why my problem is happening

The problems I’m having with my 2001 Honda CR-V is that when I press on the pedal the rpms go higher than they need to to achieve the speed that is needed.

Things I believe are worth noting:
•when the vehicle is started the rpms rise a small amount but I think that’s just the engine running itself to temperature. I might be wrong.
• when on cruise control the rpms spike randomly at times and then dies back down to what it was originally at.
•the vehicle has 230,000 miles.

You didn't tell us if you are the original owner. If not how long have you owned the vehicle? What routine maintenance has been done?

Take a pic of the transmission fluid on a piece of white paper towel. Let's see if it's red or brown.

Many good suggestions about throttle body, IAC valve. What about the air filter condition and spark plugs? I have a 1997 civic that just hit 200,xxx km and I'm the original owner. I can keep that car another 30 years.

I don't let anyone else touch it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back