Snapper Hydro Oil which is better

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Snapper LT300 which has 22 HP Briggs. Had trouble with Hydro and now it won't climb my step hill but will go down and climb other less steep hills. I am planning to change the fluid as it has a Tuff Torq K57. I changed half of it last year and used Mobil 1 15W50. I have Lucas 20W50 synthetic motorcycle oil in the garage I picked up really cheap a few months back. Normally motorcycle oil does not contain friction modifiers for the wet clutches that most motorcycles have. Is there any benefit or detriment to using the Lucas oil? They actually recommend 5W50 but it's not easy to find and I want synthetic as the Tuff Torq probably runs hot on my hills. A little over 1 acre lawn. Just not sure if the friction modifiers help or hinder the Tuff Torq Tranny.
Thanks

You can find 5W50 at your local Ford dealer. I wouldn't use anything from Lucas myself. I don't use tobacco, but if Lucas was a cigarette, it'd be nasty.

I use the Amsoil lube made just for hydrostatic transmissions.

Did you change the filter as well?

Also, if you wanna go all the way, Tuff Torq sells their own gear oil.

Personally, just my opinion, I wouldn't use the Lucas in this situation.

Failing to move forward can also mean a ruined hydro. Check that oil ASAP. M1 15w-50, M1 vtwin 20w-50, Amsoil motorcycle 20w-50, or the hydro specific Amsoil 20w-50 would all serve you well if it's not ruined.

Not ruined it goes forward just won't climb my steep hill. Climbs lesser slopes still and flat ground too.

Changed out 1 qt roughly and put in Castrol 5W50. Tractor now climbs the steep hill again. Thinking it may have just been low on oil

Originally Posted by spk2000
Changed out 1 qt roughly and put in Castrol 5W50. Tractor now climbs the steep hill again. Thinking it may have just been low on oil

Glad to hear it works again. How do you check fluid level?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back