Dog tag rust inhibitor test #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years back I tested some rust inhibitors I had used in what I call a Dog tag test.

Strips of mild steel are cleaned to bright metal, acid washed, neutralized and dried. Each tag is moderately coated with a rust inhibitor then hung on a zip strip under my truck until I change back the summer tires in the spring.

This winter I will test Fluid Film against Krown 73 and Quiksilver marine corrosion inhibitor.

Any suggestions on how I can better conduct this test?

Ive always thought that synthetic tests, though controlling variables, limit real world applicability. If you want to run this stuff on a truck, then run the test under the truck.

There will always be a critic.

I would put an uninhibited, prepared piece under there for comparison too.

Can you run pblaster corrosion stop as well, please??
How about Boeshield T5?

Interesting test, suggestion you probably thought of already,
just make sure there tied down so they don't bang into one another.
Two holes on each piece of metal to secure it might be better.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive always thought that synthetic tests, though controlling variables, limit real world applicability. If you want to run this stuff on a truck, then run the test under the truck.

How about Boeshield T5?

You should probably read OP's post again for content. He clearly stated the strips are hung under his truck until spring.

Can you test mineral chainsaw bar oil for me
smile.gif

Planning to do a conservation project on my Landcruiser...

Last edited:
The tags get hung in the location of the spare tire, they get lots of spray, but not a direct blast from a spinning wheel, they hang free but cannot touch eah other.

I can only use products that are locally available. Unless someone sends them to me ;-)

When I did this a couple of years back, I used ProForm wax rust inhibitor, Fluid Film and my own mix of chainsaw bar oil and paraffin wax. The ProForm failed miserably!

It seems many members here rate Krown highly, so will try that v Fluid film this time. I will also add a control tag.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Can you test mineral chainsaw bar oil for me
smile.gif

Paraffin wax melted in chain oil was far left tag in my pic. It did as well in my test as Fluid Film (no rust).

In the middle was the ProForm product (the metal is pitted with rust)

I like it. I'd also like to see an otherwise untreated tag painted with the 99 cent walmart spray paint, one with cheapo undercoating, and one with rustoleum primer + paint.

I guess I could be the change I want to see in the world.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: JLTD

How about Boeshield T5?

You should probably read OP's post again for content. He clearly stated the strips are hung under his truck until spring.

Perhaps you should reread my post.

I fully comprehended that it was under the truck. My point was that there’s something to be said about controlled, synthetic tests, but running under a truck, if that’s the intent, should be the test.

In typical web forum fashion, some commentary is implied in the interest of brevity
smile.gif

GOOD, for Fluid Film!! I undercoated my new Hyundai Kona AWD 1.6t with it. All the suspension, under the large lower covers that go from the front suspension to the rear suspension, inside the fenders and bumper mounting points, and everywhere I could get the spray. 5 cans in all, some dirt is attracted to it, but no big deal, still lighter then undercoating.

A control tag is the only suggestion I have, and you already said you would add that.

maybe 2nd control tag prepped and kept in a sealed bag (with some desiccant) for when it is all said and done to have a side by side comparison?
Or maybe one just hanging outside from a tree or such to see how just weather affects it vs road salt and such?

Originally Posted By: JLTD

How about Boeshield T5?

Perhaps you should reread my post.

I fully comprehended that it was under the truck. My point was that there’s something to be said about controlled, synthetic tests, but running under a truck, if that’s the intent, should be the test.

In typical web forum fashion, some commentary is implied in the interest of brevity
smile.gif

Implied commentary, ambiguity and suggestions do not clarity make. But I can see how you meant your post.

I’d consider getting the fluid film tag nice and gritty/dusty/dirty after application as that’s how many of us practice using fluid film on our vehicles. Helps it stay better.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I’d consider getting the fluid film tag nice and gritty/dusty/dirty after application as that’s how many of us practice using fluid film on our vehicles. Helps it stay better.

I probably wont wait until there is snow befor crawling under the truck to hang those tags. It will get plenty of dust and grime in the meantime.

Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: billt460
Brownell's conducted something similar.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=12616

Thank you, I think I will add WD40 to the test, just for grins :)

I think it's funny how WD-40 gets such a bad rap on gun forums. Turns out it's one of the best rust preventatives out there.... And for anyone looking for Boeshield products, West Marine sells them. They are quite popular with the boating crowd.

https://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=boshield+t-9

Originally Posted By: expat
Brownell's conducted something similar.

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/learndetail.aspx?lid=12616

Thank you, I think I will add WD40 to the test, just for grins :)

I think it's funny how WD-40 gets such a bad rap on gun forums. Turns out it's one of the best rust preventatives out there.... And for anyone looking for Boeshield products, West Marine sells them. They are quite popular with the boating crowd.

https://www.westmarine.com/search?Ntt=boshield+t-9

I have some boeshield, and a tiny 1/4" paint chip on the rear bumper of my truck.

Sprayed it with boeshield just to see what happens, sitting out in sun and weather.

It rapidly disappeared, left a white non oily, non waxy, non beading residue that I haven't tried removing.

Ive since been messing with corrosion stop from pblaster, available,in any Home Depot for $5 a can, And it stays under wash and sun.

Ive never counted on wd-40 as a rust preventative, but if the water displacement character is retained, I guess it should be to some extent... Ive seen that brownells test before, there are others if interested:

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

https://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/123560-test-corrosion-inhibitor-sprays.html

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/ge...working-247773/

Ive since been messing with corrosion stop from pblaster, available,in any Home Depot for $5 a can, And it stays under wash and sun.

Ive never counted on wd-40 as a rust preventative, but if the water displacement character is retained, I guess it should be to some extent... Ive seen that brownells test before, there are others if interested:

Thank you for the tip, I may have to try some of that out. Great price too and available locally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back