easy route to more snowblower power? (2 stroke mods...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an aged snowblower from the old lady across the way (package deal with her lawn mower) and it's almost gutless enough to be a waste of time. No throttle on it, and it'll bog in 3.5" of wet snow.

Is there an easy way to make the motor spin faster? I really don't know how the speed is controlled on an old carbed 2-stroke, and since I'm going to junk it in the spring anyway I don't care if I burn it up. It'd be sweet if I could increase the RPM by say 50% or so, heh heh....

Thanks!
Robert

You wouldn't necessarily need to make the motor spin faster but rather try changing the drive pulleys/sprockets to a different size in order to make the blower spin faster.

If you make the blower spin faster via pullies you will bog the engine worse. I asume you have made sure the maintenence is up to date, beyond that have you tried a little FP or the like to clean things out some. Even just a fogging with some deep creap(seafoam) might do it some good.

If there's no throttle control there must be a governor. If there's a governor there are little levers that go to the throttle on the carb. Make sure these are working and not gummed up. There are springs in the governor that if retentioned vary the motor speed. (hint)

If you look the carby over you might find two screws labeled L and H. Turn the H one half a turn one way then the other and see if that helps any.

Try leaning out the fuel/oil mix; often the gas will evaporate out of the tank leaving the oil behind. How much is up to you...

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
A little Nitromethane wouldn't hurt.

Agreed. I've routinely run RC car fuel (40% nitro/60% methenol) in my weedeater. It cuts boards in half. You have to get the fuel setting correct; has to be run extremely rich.

If you don't want to get that crazy, then just lean it out or richen it up until you get maximum rpm. Also, remove the muffler and air filter assembly. Your neighbors will love you, but you'll get even more rpm and power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back