Wet brake oil questions. Yamaha Big Bear 400, Prairie 700

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for recommendations.
I need to served a prairie 700 rear diff and a Yamaha big bear 400 rear diff. Both have wet brakes. The big bear is IRS

The kawasaki of course recommends their wet brake oil. I have used tractor hydraulic fluid years ago in a Brute Force 750.

Yamaha has their wet brake oil also.

The Kawasaki says Mobil 424 will work. I have some mystic JT-5 that I think will work for that.

I got logged out somehow and the post auto posted.

Looking for recommendations.

I need to service a prairie 700 diff and big bear rear diff. Both have wet brakes. The big bear is IRS.

Yamaha has wet brake oil part number Acc-shaft-lu-00
Or some say GL-5 with limited slip additives will work. The owners manual says you can use 80w-90 hypoid gear oil, but brake chatter will occur(it doesn’t mention limited slip additives, only yamalube).

So use GL-5 with limited slip additives? We do not have a Yamaha dealer local, closest is over an hour away.

Kawasaki says Mobil 424 will work, I have some mystic JT-5 that I think will work. Opinions?

Wonder why the same oils won’t work in both bikes? They both have gears and bearings, as well as clutch plates...

I've used Mobil 424 before in my Prairie 700. Couldn't tell any difference. But now that Kawasaki's wet brake oil comes in a convenient squirt bottle, I prefer to use it instead.

Don't know about the Yammie....you'd have to look at the equivalencies. It should show 424 if compatible I would guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back