Shotgun for home protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering how many of you here own a shotgun for home protection? And if your house ever gets invaded and you can grab a gun would you choose a shotgun?

I have a Rem 870 home defense model that I have improved upon "improved extractor, polished chamber, Wolf feed spring with better follower." This would be my go to gun if required loaded with 00 Buck.

Mossberg 500 Tactical, it was the old $250 Big 5 Sporting Goods special with a piston grip and collapsible AR stock. Its loaded with PDX-1 12ga.

At some point I want to upgrade to a Benelli M4, but that is quite the price jump.

Make mine an AR15. 0 yards to way out there range. 20-30-40+ round mags. Of course I wouldn't feel unarmed with a good reliable shotgun if that was all I had for some reason. Shotguns were great options back when ARs/similar were 2-3x the price of a good shotgun.

Last edited:
We each have our preferences, but when it comes down to real world use, (short of a small caliber) the gun you are comfortable and familiar with is best. Interestingly, an informative video compares statistical gun use and effectiveness finds what most of us already know.

I trust a shotgun to get the job done, no question about it.

The only real difference in effectiveness between guns is small caliber pistol, (22, 25, 32) Full size calibers (380, 9, 45) and rifles/shotguns. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycYxb-zNwc

The real world issue with a shot gun as a self defense weapon in your house is that it's much easier for the perpetrator to grab and take possession of vs a handgun.

I don't use it as a primary. But I like a double barrel 12 gauge with manual exposed hammers.. That is as reliable as it gets. You will have time to reload after the first two.

Ultimately safe and reliable.

I have a .45 pistol next to my bed. Whatever you can grab is best.

I have a Mossberg 500 with the short barrel and pistol grip for home protection along with my SP101.

When my to be wife lived in the trailer park on the bad side of town she had several encounters with peeping toms and such. I bought her a Mossberg Maverick 88 for trailer protection. We took it out and that night we cleaned it on the tailgate of my truck. We saw people looking out their windows watching us clean it.

She never had any trouble from weirdo's after that.

Now that we are married it lives next to my bed and is loaded with "BB" shot. That's my personnel choice for a home protection gun. I feel that a shot gun pattern @ 10ft or so....6-8 inches is a better choice for me than a 9mm bullett.

Originally Posted By: Al
I don't use it as a primary. But I like a double barrel 12 gauge with manual exposed hammers.. That is as reliable as it gets. You will have time to reload after the first two.

Ultimately safe and reliable.
I have one that isn't reliable. The hammers are too short to hit some primers.

The gun you can get to the quickest. I have several hand guns stationed throughout the house. No gun will do you any good if you can’t get to it fast enough. I have a .380 sitting on the table next to me at this very moment.

Originally Posted By: MParr
The gun you can get to the quickest. I have several hand guns stationed throughout the house. No gun will do you any good if you can’t get to it fast enough. I have a .380 sitting on the table next to me at this very moment.

In Canada, due to our storage regulations, nothing can be that accessible. While we are allowed to use reasonable force (force proportional to the threat), to counter an armed intruder with a firearm will involve multiple steps.

- Unlock safe or remove trigger lock (guns do not require trigger locks when stored in a safe)
- Retrieve gun
- Load gun (guns cannot be stored loaded)
- Chamber a round
- Respond to threat

You can somewhat streamline parts of this process by using a mag-fed gun, as you are allowed to keep mags loaded (hence my MK12), and having your safe close to your place of rest and easy for you to get into, while still retaining compliance, can cut down that access -> ready time.

Originally Posted By: MParr
OVERKILL
By the time you jump through all of those hoops you could be dead.

Yup, especially if one lived in a bungalow (which I don't).

In the country you have a bit more freedom as you can have a gun ready for "pests" or "predators" that doesn't need to be locked up.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
...where do you all live that you feel you NEED this?
Obviously not in your ivory tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back