Audi Will No Longer Sell A Manual Transmission In The US

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
https://carbuzz.com/news/say-it-ain-t-so-audi-a4-losing-manual-option-for-2019

Car and Driver reports that only 5% of customers in the US opted for the manual, which is why Audi decided to stop offering it. This is a shame because the manual A4 was actually a tenth of a second quicker to 60 mph at 5.1 seconds. Manuals are typically slower than dual-clutches, but the A4 managed to be quicker and likely more engaging than its automatic counterpart. Now drivers will lose the engaging feel of driving a manual as well as a tenth off their 0-60 times.

It seems like most Audi buyers want luxury over anything else so this doesn’t surprise me.

A tenth?! Thats it? Sadly most drivers never learned manual (including myself). I did a few runs while the wife had a manual but now nobody owns one. Most people drive to get from A to B with as little effort as possible so it makes sense this would happen. Agree with Reddy45 also

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
A tenth?! Thats it? Sadly most drivers never learned manual (including myself). I did a few runs while the wife had a manual but now nobody owns one. Most people drive to get from A to B with as little effort as possible so it makes sense this would happen. Agree with Reddy45 also

I see them pretty often. I've also met a few people who have never owned an auto trans car other than a work vehicle and they were both younger than I am (29). Not everybody is a smartphone zombie just yet. It might be living in Toronto, there are more immigrants from manual trans countries.

My wife couldn't get a new Audi A4 with a stick in the color she wanted at MAG Imports or Byers Audi. She found what she wanted in Cleveland. She has never owned an automatic and her first car was a Toyota Starlet growing up in Brooklyn/NYC.

HOW can you opt for a manual tranny when they are NOT available!!!!! pretty soon there will be only the cheaper to make problematic CVT's. my car an 01 TT + 11 frontoer are both manuals otherwise i would NOT own them!!!!

How can you opt for a manual transmission when there is 1 in 3 states and its a white or black car with no options.

This is fake news.. its like saying 95% of people dont flush their toilet*

*in drought conditions with well dry

If they offered manual transmissions at ever package/option level the take rate would be massively higher.

People seem to want cars that drive themselves, so it doesn't surprise me that they would want a car that requires less involvement in driving.

I'll also go ahead and scratch new Audi A4 off of my new car buying list.

The MT take rate on cars like the M2 and Mustang GT is still pretty high- 50% on the M2 the last I heard.
My Club Sport and TJ are manuals and I wouldn't have them any other way, but having said that, I love the 8HP45 in my 2er. On the track or on the street I virtually never have to second-guess it. It's faster and returns better fuel economy than the manual, and it suits the Junior GT nature of the car. Not so with the M2, which needs a third pedal.

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Seems to me it's not just Audi,
Look around all domestic manufacturers are making less manuals.

Audi only adapts to the IQ level of local users...

Seems that Yenks are unable to drive sticks...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
It seems like most Audi buyers want luxury over anything else so this doesn’t surprise me.

People who buy Nissan Versas don't want stick shifts either. The gas millage advantage went away a long time ago for stick shifts.

The only place they are popular is on here......

Ouch KameON. I drove manuals in Porsche 356, VWs, Saabs, Volvos etc for many years and enjoyed it until I got in heavy traffic or on hits with stop & go traffic. New automatics with paddle sifters are faster shifting if you want that route. I know if you "speed shift" and totally abuse the sincros(sp) in a manual you can marginally beat the auto but, in normal driving an AT wins every time and usually the economy favors the AT. So there. Ed

Most manual transmissions that exist now are way to many gears anyways. Who wants to shift through 9 gears in something with no low end torque? CAFE ruind the manual transmission. The only 3 and 4 speeds with something that could pull a hill at a slow speed without having to downshift was fun. Automatics now have taken away the advantage manuals used to have.

Give me a manual I'll even make a weak engine look good.
When you shift gear's its like your a part of the machine.
Too bad people have gotten so lazy, some of still like to shift...

Give me a manual I'll even make a weak engine look good.
When you shift gear's its like your a part of the machine.
Too bad people have gotten so lazy, some of still like to shift...
Not really lazy. It's just too hard to keep up with facebook and tweeter having to shift all the time.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Seems to me it's not just Audi,
Look around all domestic manufacturers are making less manuals.

Audi only adapts to the IQ level of local users...

Seems that Yenks are unable to drive sticks...
smile.gif

Question what is a Yenk?

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
my 12 yr old cousin has you beat.

I am still one of few with a soft spot for manuals. Todays auto's however, have come a long way and can be quite fun to drive. Especially VAG DSG's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back